Author Topic: Obama: 'I'd think' about changing Redskins name  (Read 1140 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obama: 'I'd think' about changing Redskins name
« on: October 05, 2013, 07:35:40 pm »
http://www.politico.com/politico44/2013/10/obama-id-think-about-changing-redskins-name-174351.html?hp=t3_3

By DAN BERMAN |
10/5/13 10:25 AM EDT

President Barack Obama says if he owned the Washington Redskins, he’d think about changing the team’s name.

But he doesn’t believe D.C. area fans mean to offend by using the name, which has drawn renewed criticism for being offensive to Native Americans, the president told the AP in an interview released Saturday morning.

"If I were the owner of the team and I knew that the name of my team, even if they've had a storied history, that was offending a sizable group of people, I'd think about changing it,” Obama said.

“I don't want to detract from the wonderful Redskins fans that are here. They love their team, and rightly so -- even though they've been having a pretty tough time this year,” he said, according to a AP transcript of the interview.

“But I think – all these mascots and team names related to Native Americans, Native Americans feel pretty strongly about it. And I don't know whether our attachment to a particular name should override the real, legitimate concerns that people have about these things,” he added.

Lanny J. Davis, attorney for Washington Redskins, issued a statement in response to Obama's comments:

"As a supporter of President Obama,  I am sure the president is not aware that in the highly respected Annenberg Institute poll (taken 2004) with a national sample of Native Americans, 9 out of 10 Native Americans said they were not bothered by the name the "Washington Redskins." The president made these comments to the Associated Press, but he was apparently unaware that an April 2013 AP poll showed that eight out of ten of all Americans in a national sample don't think the Washington Redskins name should be changed.

"We at the Redskins respect everyone. But like devoted fans of the Atlanta Braves, the Cleveland Indians and the Chicago Blackhawks (from President Obama's home town ),  we love our team and its name and, like those fans, we do not intend to disparage or disrespect a racial or ethnic group. The name "Washington Redskins" is  80 years old - it's our history and legacy and tradition.  We Redskins fans sing 'hail to the Redskins' every Sunday as a word of honor not disparagement."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

Re: Obama: 'I'd think' about changing Redskins name
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 07:38:35 pm »
I'm surprised that Obama hasn't already dictated the name change.

What's stopping him?  He doesn't give a rip about his legal authority anyway.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 07:44:09 pm »
If I was the owner of the Redskins, I'd tell Obama perhaps he should think about actually acting like a President.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 08:01:51 pm »
I'm surprised that Obama hasn't already dictated the name change.

What's stopping him?  He doesn't give a rip about his legal authority anyway.

Names Obama would dictate for the Redskins by executive order, of course...

The Washington Wahabis
The Washington Homeboys
The Washington Jarretts
The Washington Drones
The Washington Muslim Brothers
The Washington Pee Pants every time they see Putin

You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 08:30:57 pm »
Yeah....sure you do.  Just like you changed yours....you POS.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

rangerrebew

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 08:43:47 pm »
Since the Annenberg Poll was done in 2004 during the Bush administration, I'm sure Ali Bama considers it no longer to be valid. :pondering:  If he finds the name 'Redskins' offensive, I find many of the things he says about middle class Americans to be HIGHLY offensive so I would expect him to change his rhetoric. :thumbsdown:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 09:40:47 pm »
Middle of a government shut down and this is the taking point?

It truly is the most transparently pathetic administration ever.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Olivia

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 10:07:27 pm »
Obama has mistaken the executive branch of our government for a King's decree.

The members of Congress are letting him get away with it!
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline flowers

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 10:10:43 pm »
that was offending a sizable group of people

He is offending a sizable group of people on a daily basis!  Hey Barrycade....1-800-318-2596!

:king:    10294  :chien:   :patriot: :seeya: :smokin: :whistle:

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 10:18:46 pm »
If we have to change the name REDSKINS

Then I better never hear another Liberal say the word REDNECK

If I do, I'll charge them with a HATE CRIME on the spot, and call the police
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.