Author Topic: Gettysburg park shutdown plan goes into effect  (Read 1568 times)

Offline happyg

Gettysburg park shutdown plan goes into effect
« on: October 05, 2013, 02:23:12 pm »
As late as Monday night, Gettysburg Battlefield management assistant Katie Lawhon said officials were hopeful the federal government would avert a shutdown. But the park had a plan in place, just in case.

But Congress failed to avert the first federal shutdown in 17 years, and the plan was put into effect this morning.

The Gettysburg National Military Park, Eisenhower National Historic Site, David Wills House and the Soldiers' National Cemetery are closed, as are park roads that do not serve as throughways.

Those open roads include Millerstown and Wheatfield roads as well as the route consisting of North Reynolds Avenue to Doubleday Avenue to Robinson Avenue to allow for resident access. Seminary Ridge Avenue and West Confederate Avenue to the McMillan House will remain open for resident access. The rest of West Confederate Avenue and all other park roads will be closed.

While licensed battlefield guides would still be permitted to conduct tours, they may not use federally owned property.

They may drive on county and state roads through the park such as Business 15 and Route 97 and Mummasburg Road, but no stopping or parking will be permitted along National Park Service property," Lawhon said last night.

She added that visitors will be informed before beginning their tours that due to the shutdown, they will not experience a standard tour. If visitors cancel their tour in advance, they will be refunded

and the guide will not be paid. If visitors express dissatisfaction after their altered tour experience, Lawhon wrote, the Gettysburg Foundation will refund their money.
Since it is operated by the Gettysburg Foundation, the park's museum and visitor center will remain open.

But there will be no park rangers to answer their questions, as they are among the roughly 75 permanent full-time employees furloughed. Lawhon said 10 permanent full-time employees designated "essential employees," - eight of them law enforcement and two of them maintenance workers - would report to work.

http://www.ydr.com/local/ci_24212941/gettysburg-park-shutdown-plan-goes-into-effect

Online mountaineer

Re: Gettysburg park shutdown plan goes into effect
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 07:07:17 pm »
They may drive on county and state roads through the park such as Business 15 and Route 97 and Mummasburg Road, but no stopping or parking will be permitted along National Park Service property," Lawhon said last night.
Oops, my car just stopped. Don't know what happened.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

famousdayandyear

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 07:26:10 pm »
Close it.  Burn it down and build a mall.  In the real world, who cares?  No one I know can fly the Northern Virginia Battle Flag without being run out of town.  Get rid of every remembrance of the Confederacy.  Yes,  do it.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 07:35:08 pm »
Oops, my car just stopped. Don't know what happened.

Just lift the hood, leave the car,  and see the sights.....       :patriot:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 07:36:20 pm »
Close it.  Burn it down and build a mall.  In the real world, who cares?  No one I know can fly the Northern Virginia Battle Flag without being run out of town.  Get rid of every remembrance of the Confederacy.  Yes,  do it.

There are a lot of Confederate soldiers who died at Gettysburg.

It's hallowed ground, no matter what side you take regarding the war.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

famousdayandyear

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 07:40:36 pm »
There are a lot of Confederate soldiers who died at Gettysburg.

It's hallowed ground, no matter what side you take regarding the war.

Thanks so much for the information.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 09:27:15 pm »
Thanks so much for the information.

Sarcasm?  Derision?  (Hard to read.  Correct me if I mistook your words for something you didn't intend).

So as clarification, if we are misunderstanding each other....

What I said was not intended to 'inform' but rather to offer an opinion (mine) as to how Americans from all parts of the country should revere the memory of those who lost their lives at Gettysburg.

That's why Obama's closing it should offend everyone, no matter who we are, or whether we call the war "Civil" or of "Northern Aggression."

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 10:15:48 pm »
Gettysburg isn't shut down to rid us of any remembrance of the Confederacy. It's simply because B. Hussein Obama hates us and hates this nation.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 10:33:44 pm »
Gettysburg isn't shut down to rid us of any remembrance of the Confederacy. It's simply because B. Hussein Obama hates us and hates this nation.

Exactly.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 01:16:57 am »
Yesterday: This piece of vitriol published in the Washington Post Oct 4, 2013

The rise of the New Confederacy
By Colbert I. King, Published: October 4

It took on new force with fears of the federal government in Washington interfering with their cherished way of life. It gathered steam with the election of Abraham Lincoln in 1860. And it all came into full flower when shore batteries fired on Fort Sumter. It was the spirit of the Old Confederacy, a state-sponsored rebellion hellbent on protecting its “peace and safety” from the party that took possession of the government on March 4, 1861.

The rebels launched a grisly war against the Union. In his inaugural address, Lincoln warned the Confederacy: “You have no oath registered in Heaven to destroy the government, while I shall have the most solemn one to preserve, protect and defend it.”

“Peace and safety” are ideals drawn from South Carolina’s Dec. 24, 1860, declaration of secession from the Union. The expression was designed to encompass all that the Deep South states held dear — chiefly, their existence as sovereign states and their ability to decide the propriety of their domestic institutions, including slavery.

This virulent hostility to the Union led the Old Confederacy to conclude — as expressed by South Carolina — that with Lincoln’s elevation to the presidency, “the slaveholding States will no longer have the power of self-government, or self-protection, and the Federal Government will have become their enemy.”

Federal government as the enemy.

Today there is a New Confederacy, an insurgent political force that has captured the Republican Party and is taking up where the Old Confederacy left off in its efforts to bring down the federal government.

No shelling of a Union fort, no bloody battlefield clashes, no Good Friday assassination of a hated president — none of that nauseating, horrendous stuff. But the behavior is, nonetheless, malicious and appalling.

The New Confederacy, as churlish toward President Obama as the Old Confederacy was to Lincoln, has accomplished what its predecessor could not: It has shut down the federal government, and without even firing a weapon or taking 620,000 lives, as did the Old Confederacy’s instigated Civil War.

Not stopping there, however, the New Confederacy aims to destroy the full faith and credit of the United States, setting off economic calamity at home and abroad — all in the name of “fiscal sanity.”

Its members are as extreme as their ideological forebears. It matters not to them, as it didn’t to the Old Confederacy, whether they ultimately go down in flames. So what? For the moment, they are getting what they want: a federal government in the ditch, restrained from seeking to create a more humane society that extends justice for all.

The ghosts of the Old Confederacy have to be envious.

South Carolina wept and wailed as it withdrew from the Union, citing the Supreme Court’s 1857 Dred Scott decision when it noted that states in the North had elevated to citizenship “persons who, by the supreme law of the land, are incapable of becoming citizens; and their votes have been used to inaugurate a new policy, hostile to the South, and destructive of its beliefs and safety.”

Not to worry, Old South, the New Confederacy’s spirit is on the move.

In June, the Supreme Court got rid of fundamental legal protections against racial discrimination in voting.

Legislation aimed at suppressing votes is pending across the country, notably in the Deep South.

Hold on to that Confederate money, y’all. Jim Crow just might rise again.

But it’s here in Washington where the New Confederacy’s firebrands are really holding court. Many of them first appeared after the 2010 midterm elections and when the scope of the president’s economic recovery program was taking form. Unlike their predecessors, however, members of this group hail from Dixie and beyond, though I stress there is no evidence that the New shares the racist views of the Old. The view on race is not the common denominator. The view on government is.

These conservative extremists, roughly 60 of them by CNN’s count, represent congressional districts in Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and West Virginia.

But don’t go looking for a group by the name of New Confederacy. They earned that handle from me because of their visceral animosity toward the federal government and their aversion to compassion for those unlike themselves.

They respond, however, to the label “tea party.” By thought, word and deed, they must be making Jefferson Davis proud today.

Offline happyg

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 01:32:24 am »
Wow! Though the author meant it as an insult, I take it as a compliment. What vivid imaginations the liberals have. And, it's all in their imaginations, nothing real, or even coming close to being realistic. We have met evil, up close and personal, and the fools live among us. Our work is cut out for us, and I pray that I see an American comeback before I die. My dad said the same thing, but he passed away. He hated what Obama was doing, but at least he didn't see the past two years of raw vengeance against the American people.