Author Topic: Department of Education is 94% non-essential employees  (Read 1354 times)

rangerrebew

Department of Education is 94% non-essential employees
« on: October 03, 2013, 05:32:08 pm »
Department of Education is 94 Percent Non-Essential Employees

By Amelia Hamilton on October 02, 2013

The federal government is now into its second day of being shut down, which means different things for different people. For the average American, not much is going to change. However, there is one governmental department which touches many (too many, some would argue) lives: The Department of Education. The question is will a government shutdown really make a difference to the majority of American families who have school age children?

The answer to that partially depends on how long the government remains closed for business. Programs like Race to the Top and Promise Neighborhoods are funded through the end of the year. They are safe unless the government remains shut down past then, which is virtually impossible. Head Start programs have been cut around the country, as it is a federal program, and it’s possible more will be cut as the shutdown goes on.

Cuts have extended beyond those programs as well, however. Last week, the Department of Education released a contingency plan. K-12 school districts will still be paid through the first week of October with grants that have already been appropriated, but funding past that point is uncertain. In the meantime, 94 percent of Department of Education employees have been furloughed. Some could be called back next week, but that number is unlikely to exceed 6 percent of total staff.

That’s right, 94 percent of Department of Education employees are deemed non-essential, as education is (thankfully, for now) administered mostly at the state and local level.  If you’re running a business that doesn’t require 94% of its employees in order to function properly, wouldn’t it be time to rethink the way you’re doing things? Time for the government to do the same starting, perhaps, with those involved in educating the nation's children.

http://www.freedomworks.org/blog/ameliahamilton/department-of-education-is-94-non-essential-employees
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 05:33:43 pm by rangerrebew »

Online mountaineer

Re: Department of Education is 94% non-essential employees
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 05:42:06 pm »
That’s right, 94 percent of Department of Education employees are deemed non-essential, as education is (thankfully, for now) administered mostly at the state and local level.
The sad thing is that at least 50% of the employees in my state's Department of Education, at least those stationed in the state capital, are non-essential. But the tax dollars keep flowing.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 05:44:18 pm »
The sad thing is that at least 50% of the employees in my state's Department of Education, at least those stationed in the state capital, are non-essential. But the tax dollars keep flowing.

Sadly that same thing is true even here in the GREAT state of Texas!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline raml

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 08:44:41 pm »
The dept of education is not needed and never was education is a state matter. You are all right about there being way to many administrators in education depts across this nation they abuse the taxpayers and we bend over and let them.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 08:55:17 pm »
The dept of education is not needed and never was education is a state matter. You are all right about there being way to many administrators in education depts across this nation they abuse the taxpayers and we bend over and let them.

I can see the sense in having a VERY small federal Dept. Education which ensures that a 4.0 GPA in California is of the same level as a 4.0 in Illinois, for example. That is it though.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline raml

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 09:53:22 pm »
We did fine without an federal education dept for many many many years we don't need it. In fact we did better without one back then our students at least on the most part graduated knowing how to read.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 10:21:32 pm »
That headline is a shocker. I could have sworn it was 100%.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 10:45:44 pm »
What was it Perry said last year?? EPA, Education and????   :dx1:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 11:32:41 pm »
We did fine without an federal education dept for many many many years we don't need it. In fact we did better without one back then our students at least on the most part graduated knowing how to read.

:amen:

And I've lost count of the times I've been promised that it would be shut down if I just helped x or y get elected!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

rangerrebew

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 02:56:41 pm »
Sadly that same thing is true even here in the GREAT state of Texas!

Isn't it the REPUBLIC of Texas? :patriot:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 04:24:46 pm »
Isn't it the REPUBLIC of Texas? :patriot:

It once was and could well be again!

- J. R. R. Tolkien