Author Topic: GOP stands firm against funding bill, will link to debt ceiling fight  (Read 2025 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://washingtonexaminer.com/gop-stands-firm-against-funding-bill-will-link-to-debt-ceiling-fight/article/2536750#

GOP stands firm against funding bill, will link to debt ceiling fight

By DAVID M. DRUCKER | OCTOBER 3, 2013 AT 10:55 AM

Topics: Obamacare Debt Ceiling PennAve Budgets and Deficits Government shutdown
Photo - House Majority Leader Rep. Eric Cantor of Va., gestures during a news conference about the ongoing budget battle, Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2013, on Capitol Hill in Washington. From left are, Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers, R-Wash., Rep. James Lankford, R-Okla., Cantor, Rep. Rep. Steven Palazzo, R-Miss., and Rep. Mike Kelly, R-Pa. President Barack Obama summoned congressional leaders to the White House on the second day of a partial government shutdown that has furloughed hundreds of thousands of workers and closed military cemeteries as far away as France. Republican and Democratic leaders agreed to meet Wednesday afternoon but showed no signs of yielding.(AP Photo/ Evan Vucci) House Majority Leader Rep. Eric Cantor of Va., gestures during a news conference about the...

House Republicans are unlikely to blink in the standoff over Obamacare that precipitated a government shutdown, fearing that acceding now to Democratic demands for a “clean” spending bill would weaken their hand in upcoming negotiations over the the debt ceiling.

Those Republicans said Wednesday that the spending impasse that shut down the government early Tuesday is less about conservatives' desire to derail Obamacare than it is about strengthening their hand in the debt-ceiling talks. That borrowing limit must be raised by Oct. 17 to prevent the government from defaulting on its financial obligations and Republicans say any future agreement to reopen the government would link the spending bill and the debt ceiling.

“This is not just about Obamacare anymore,” centrist Rep. Michael Grimm, R-N.Y., said.

“We’re not going to be disrespected,” conservative Rep. Marlin Stutzman, R-Ind., added. “We have to get something out of this. And I don’t know what that even is.”
!

In the weeks leading up to Tuesday's government shutdown, House Republicans pushed for a short-term budget bill that would fund the government at current levels, but also fully and permanently defund Obamacare. President Obama and Senate Democrats rejected that proposal and three others that would have at least slowed implementation of the Affordable Care Act.

House Republicans now say they won't agree to a funding bill unless Senate Democrats agree to meet in a conference committee to hash out their differences. They rebuffed a proposal from Senate Democrats Wednesday to form a conference committee only after the funding bill was approved and the government reopened.

With the third day of the shutdown dawning and the deadline to raise the debt ceiling fast approaching, House Republican leaders believe maintaining party unity over the budget bill is paramount. Any divisions or concessions would only bolster Obama's hand in the debt ceiling talks.

House Republican leaders will drive their rank and file particularly hard to support a debt ceiling proposal that includes provisions on tax and entitlement reform and other GOP priorities. They also don't want to cut short the epic battle against Obamacare that conservatives have long sought. For those reasons, House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, is unlikely to put up a "clean" budget bill that funds the government without Democratic concessions.

“The [budget bill] is now part of the debt ceiling fight and we may see a shutdown that extends to mid-October,” said a veteran Republican operative with relationships on Capitol Hill. “Boehner could not pass a [budget bill] with mostly Democratic support now and then have any chance of holding Republicans on the debt ceiling.”

House GOP leaders and most of their rank and file never supported conservatives' efforts to use the budget bill and the threat of a government shutdown to defund Obamacare, fearing a political backlash. Polls consistently show most people oppose the strategy and would blame Republicans if the government closed.

But having gone as far as they have, House Republicans now say they won't back down. And they expect to score political points in the process.

Republican House leaders were surprised that Democrats unanimously opposed GOP efforts to pass small, targeted appropriations bills that would keep only parts of the government open, but they are happy to watch Democrats vote against measures that would open national parks and restore veterans' programs ahead of the 2014 elections.

Just as important, however, is the marker Boehner has laid down in this fight and how his caucus would react if he suddenly reversed course and supported a clean budget bill. Boehner originally opposed linking Obamacare to the government funding bill, but gave in to conservatives' demands. Republicans say the speaker has been forceful in closed-door meetings on the funding bill but his credibility could be indelibly damaged if he caves in to Democratic demands now.

Rep. Tom Cole, R-Okla., who is close with leadership, suggested that the House majority is prepared to hold the line on a government funding bill and the debt ceiling increase if Senate Democrats refuse to negotiate a compromise.

When asked if House Republicans would vote on a "clean" continuing resolution, he said, "Why in the world would you do that?” Cole said of the clean funding bill. “That’s basically, at this point, a surrender to the Democratic position.”
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Re: GOP stands firm against funding bill, will link to debt ceiling fight
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 03:33:17 pm »
“We’re not going to be disrespected,” conservative Rep. Marlin Stutzman, R-Ind., added. “We have to get something out of this. And I don’t know what that even is.”

Good grief.  We're down to "throw us a bone."

Obama's supposed to be afraid of this bunch?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 03:39:31 pm »
Good grief.  We're down to "throw us a bone."

Obama's supposed to be afraid of this bunch?

Since you have already refused the deal I offered on another thread by commenting on one of my posts I'll now comment on this.

Far from seeking a bone they are out to win this thing outright it seems to me!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 03:43:08 pm »
Since you have already refused the deal I offered on another thread by commenting on one of my posts I'll now comment on this.

Far from seeking a bone they are out to win this thing outright it seems to me!

How are they going to do it?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 03:44:59 pm »
How are they going to do it?

Simply by standing firm on principle and refusing to cave in!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 03:55:06 pm »
Simply by standing firm on principle and refusing to cave in!

So the GOP will win this thing by doing nothing.

If that would work, why isn't  Boehner doing that? 

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 04:05:33 pm »
So the GOP will win this thing by doing nothing.

If that would work, why isn't  Boehner doing that?

Why must you insert words that were never said by those you are replying to into your replies?

Nowhere have I said do nothing ! Nowhere!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 04:05:56 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 04:17:00 pm »
Why must you insert words that were never said by those you are replying to into your replies?

Nowhere have I said do nothing ! Nowhere!

You've never said anything.  Just what exactly should they be doing, then?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 04:22:32 pm »
You've never said anything.  Just what exactly should they be doing, then?

They can, and should, defund Obamacare on their on! There is an entire thread on this forum concerning that and BTW! I posted it!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 04:27:20 pm »
Personally, I feel no cognitive dissonance whatsoever about the government being "shut down" and I seriously doubt the American public does, either.  In fact, I feel pretty good about the fact that "nonessential" government agencies are closed.  I hope they stay closed.  I haven't felt this hopeful in years.  I hope this impasse lasts forever.  If they get to October 17th, the government will have to live within its means and stop borrowing.  I doubt that would be very unpopular, either.

The longer this goes on, he better it will be for all lovers of liberty.  Let the American public see that life with less government is an improvement.  Were that not the case, what the hell are we doing here?  Pretending?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 04:31:59 pm »
Personally, I feel no cognitive dissonance whatsoever about the government being "shut down" and I seriously doubt the American public does, either.  In fact, I feel pretty good about the fact that "nonessential" government agencies are closed.  I hope they stay closed.  I haven't felt this hopeful in years.  I hope this impasse lasts forever.  If they get to October 17th, the government will have to live within its means and stop borrowing.  I doubt that would be very unpopular, either.

The longer this goes on, he better it will be for all lovers of liberty.  Let the American public see that life with less government is an improvement.  Were that not the case, what the hell are we doing here?  Pretending?

:amen: Victor!  :amen:

- J. R. R. Tolkien