Author Topic: Capitol Update: Harry Reid wanted shutdown to help secure senate power  (Read 1006 times)

rangerrebew

CAPITOL UPDATE: Harry Reid Wanted Shutdown To Help Secure Senate Power (R.I.)

by Ulsterman on October 2, 2013  with 10 Comments in News

Undeniable proof that Senator Harry Reid, fearing he would lose his Senate Majority Leader position after the 2014 Midterm Elections, has orchestrated and pushed for the current government shutdown.  The proof is in his refusal to follow standard Congressional procedures.

While I am no expert when it comes to legislative process, this is what a Republican Party operative had to say this morning regarding Reid’s direct complicity in manufacturing the shut down scenario:

“Normally there are conference reps appointed by the House and Senate leaders to forge compromise bills when two or more related legislative docs are entered for consideration by both Houses of Congress.  This is standard operating procedure, especially when we are working up against a hard deadline.  To be a conference rep during one of those moments is a sign of influence and trust within your own party as well as the other party.  Basically, it’s an assignment a Senator or Congressperson wants to have.

Senator Harry Reid never assigned any conference reps.  He refused.  And this was days before the shutdown deadline.  Senator Reid wanted this shutdown.  He had his entire premise set up and planned for months ago.  He knows that the Senate is up for grabs in 2014, and he is dealing with a at best moderately popular president in a second term with an Obamacare bill that could be a huge and negative factor for Democrats.  Reid wants to remain Senate Majority Leader very badly.  So, he thinks this manufactured crisis and blame of Republicans for the shutdown will help him remain in power.  He might be able to influence election outcomes in Nevada, but he can’t control Senate elections throughout the country, and so this shutdown is an attempt to do just that.

Now here is where I and some others stand on the issue.  We know what Reid has done.  We also think he has just placed his own political head in a guillotine of his own making.  There will be a short term bump for Democrats for a few weeks, maybe even months, but soon after, the reality of the Obamacare nightmare will come home to roost.  And thanks to people like Senator Ted Cruz, the Republican Party will benefit greatly from that inevitable future.  I say that knowing that not all Republicans deserve that benefit, because they fought and demeaned Senator Cruz and other Tea Party conservatives here on the Hill, but that is for voters in their own states to make them be held accountable for.

So don’t get too upset with the short term media driven positive bump for Democrats in the next few days and weeks.  That will turn, and turn big for Republicans soon enough.  And I will also point out that the president’s role in this is secondary.  Democrats are ignoring him more and more and far more focused on saving their own upcoming election.  He is not well liked up here by most.  Some good jokes going around about him, though most of them are not in very good taste.”

http://theulstermanreport.com/2013/10/02/capitol-update-harry-reid-wanted-shutdown-to-help-secure-senate-power-r-i/
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:15:57 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline GourmetDan

Re: Capitol Update: Harry Reid wanted shutdown to help secure senate power
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 01:30:35 pm »
And I will also point out that the president’s role in this is secondary.  Democrats are ignoring him more and more and far more focused on saving their own upcoming election.  He is not well liked up here by most.  Some good jokes going around about him, though most of them are not in very good taste.”

Well geez, I wanted to see the jokes...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 01:35:22 pm »
Harry Reid is a pimp...  It was OPapaDoc all along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9QlJ3h2pqo&noredirect=1

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 02:43:25 pm »
There will be a short term bump for Democrats for a few weeks, maybe even months, but soon after, the reality of the Obamacare nightmare will come home to roost.  And thanks to people like Senator Ted Cruz, the Republican Party will benefit greatly from that inevitable future.

The Republicans would be benefiting NOW from Obamacare's disastrous opening had they not decided to shutdown the government over defunding it.   Instead, the shutdown is front and center, giving HHS cover to fix the glitches.  Cooler heads said to wait, pass a CR and fight on the debt ceiling.

But no.  Hotheads insisted that a short-term CR is where the battle needed to be fought, and look where we are.  Boehner's down to offering weaker and weaker bills.  Obama knows the Republicans have no leverage, so he's content to sit back and watch the GOP House BEG him to get involved.  Why would he, at this point?  He's winning.

The GOP is going to look back on this as a huge mistake, especially if this drags on for a month and affects the credit rating of the United States.  Ted Cruz will be viewed as a loudmouth disaster. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

rangerrebew

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 05:07:42 pm »
I have always felt a "glitch" is a small, easily solved problem.  Obamacare is not a "glitch", it is a disaster. :peeonobama: