Author Topic: New video: Drone crash lands in Manhattan  (Read 2012 times)

Online mountaineer

New video: Drone crash lands in Manhattan
« on: October 03, 2013, 12:57:30 pm »
An unmanned helicopter, otherwise known as a drone, was flying above Midtown Manhattan Monday afternoon, and cops are investigating who was behind its operation, police say.

The aircraft, which weighs in at a modest three pounds, videotaped its flight around major Midtown attractions, from the Empire State Building to the Chrysler Building.

According to authorities, the unmanned drone eventually fell from the sky after accidentally hitting the side of a building, where it almost struck a man as it crash-landed near Grand Central Station.

That man later shared the drone’s video card with ABC7.

According to a police source, precinct detectives are conducting an investigation on the identity of the drone’s operator, which was seen flying 20-30 stories above ground level before finally crashing onto the sidewalk below.

If we find out who this guy is we will certainly charge him,” said one law enforcement official. “We can’t have random people flying unmanned aircrafts over New York City.”

The investigation is ongoing, according to police.

Video at New York Post
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

Re: New video: Drone crash lands in Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 01:00:22 pm »
It may be nothing more than a remote-control toy with a camera attached.  :shrug:  The guy can't control it very well and it keeps crashing into buildings. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:01:36 pm by mountaineer »

Offline happyg

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 01:10:01 pm »
I bought two grandchildren who live in Upstate NY, remote helicopters. They go high and are fast. I think you are right, mountaineer. I think I will by the kids small cameras. LOL!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 01:13:57 pm »

"If we find out who this guy is we will certainly charge him,” said one law enforcement official. “We can’t have random people flying unmanned aircrafts over New York City.”

Video at New York Post

The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, further said, "Also anyone caught kite flying will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Ve vill maintain orderr."

Offline happyg

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 01:21:06 pm »
The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, further said, "Also anyone caught kite flying will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Ve vill maintain orderr."

Kite flying is not allowed? Kites are a March staple around here.

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 01:28:59 pm »
I bought two grandchildren...

Were they on special???

If a drone crashes in Manhatten, does it actually make a sound?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 01:31:00 pm »
It may be nothing more than a remote-control toy with a camera attached.  :shrug:  The guy can't control it very well and it keeps crashing into buildings.

Yep, it sounds like the AR drone anyone can buy and are becoming pretty popular. I'm thinking about getting one too.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 03:01:24 pm »
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=919955&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Sounds like this one. Cool item. The vid shows it taking off from a mid town manhattan  patio

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 05:44:50 pm »
The islamonutz probably have investigated whether these remote-control helicopters could be fitted with chemical weapons.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 02:18:01 am »
[[ “If we find out who this guy is we will certainly charge him,” said one law enforcement official. “We can’t have random people flying unmanned aircrafts over New York City.” ]]

So I guess one can't fly paper airplanes out windows?