Author Topic: Obamacare cuts $45 million in Annual funding for Georgia's largest hospital  (Read 723 times)

rangerrebew

Obamacare Cuts $45 Million In Annual Funding For Georgia’s Largest Hospital

Posted By Philip Hodges on Oct 3, 2013 | 0 Comments

Al Gore said recently that the GOP, particularly the tea party wing, are “political terrorists” for wanting to defund Obamacare. Pelosi added that the GOP must want children to die from lack of medical care that Obamacare is providing, calling the defund effort an “act of brutality”:

“Let me remind my colleagues that that bill passed the United States Senate in a bipartisan way with a veto-proof majority. A veto-proof majority. But that’s not good enough for you. You’ve got to slash [the Children’s Health Insurance Program] by 70% to harm those children… Either you don’t know what you are doing or this is one of the most intentional acts of brutality that you have cooked up with stiff competition for that honor. It cuts billions of dollars again I say, from the National Institutes of Health, delaying important research and denying medical breakthroughs for future generations.”

Pelosi also said that we had to pass the bill into law in order to find out what was in it. And we’ve had to wait for Obamacare to be rolled out in order to find out what its effect was going to be on individuals, businesses and hospitals.

So, the defund effort was going to “harm children.” But then, why is Obamacare currently cutting funding to this Georgia hospital to the tune of $45 million a year? I thought Pelosi’s team was concerned about “the children”:

“In an ironic twist, Grady Memorial Hospital faces a $45 million funding loss directly related to a new health care law designed to benefit the hospital. The result could mean major cuts at Georgia’s largest trauma center, according to Channel 2’s Lori Geary… The Affordable Care Act also cut federal funding for hospitals that care for the poor, like Grady. The intent of the law was to expand Medicaid to offset those losses… The loss of funding means the hospital must prepare to cut clinical services.”

Georgia is one of 22 states that did not agree to expand their Medicaid programs. Governor Nathan Deal was opposed to its expansion because it would result in at least a $2 billion cost to Georgians over the next 10 years.

Because Georgia didn’t expand its Medicaid program, there are roughly 600,000 residents who will remain without coverage. They’re caught in a coverage gap, where they make too much money to qualify for Medicaid, but too little to qualify for a federal subsidy.

Grady was relying on millions of dollars of annual federal funding in order to operate as a “safety net” hospital for these low-income families and individuals. But now, Obamacare has slashed their funding and essentially taken away that “safety net” feature. The hospital has to cut costs and stop taking care of many low-income people. So, who are the ones that want to “harm children?”

But see, these are just the problems that come about when governments get this involved in areas that should remain private or charity-based. A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take it all away.

Read more at http://lastresistance.com/3313/obamacare-cuts-45-million-annual-funding-georgias-largest-hospital/#tVGWj6wgqQ8Ar7I7.99
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 09:38:11 am by rangerrebew »