Author Topic: Obamacare can be defunded without Senate approval  (Read 6999 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Obamacare can be defunded without Senate approval
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2013, 02:24:36 pm »
Where's the current GOP proposal to defund Obamacare?  The GOP is now down to delaying it.

That does not conflate to "...even the GOP has backed off attempting to do it." except perhaps very temporarily.

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 02:29:25 pm »
That does not conflate to "...even the GOP has backed off attempting to do it." except perhaps very temporarily.

Of course it does.  Look around.  No Republican, even Ted Cruz, is talking about defunding any  longer.

The GOP is losing this battle, Bigun.  The House followed Ted Cruz off the cliff. 

I'll bet they never make that mistake again.  Cruz has grand ideas but has proven to be a terrible strategist. 

By the way, where the hell IS Ted Cruz?  He was more than happy to be out front when he was getting publicity for his 21 hour speech.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 02:29:45 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 02:32:16 pm »
I'm sorry Sink but I simply cannot follow your line of reasoning! It simply doesn't compute!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2013, 02:37:15 pm »
By the way, where the hell IS Ted Cruz?  He was more than happy to be out front when he was getting publicity for his 21 hour speech.

Exclusive–104,000 Strong: Tea Party Patriots Have Record Turnout for Cruz on Tele-Townhall
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,115219.0.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline happyg

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2013, 02:41:38 pm »
Of course it does.  Look around.  No Republican, even Ted Cruz, is talking about defunding any  longer.

The GOP is losing this battle, Bigun.  The House followed Ted Cruz off the cliff. 

I'll bet they never make that mistake again.  Cruz has grand ideas but has proven to be a terrible strategist. 

I was on a tele Town Hall with Cruz on Wednesday at 8 PM, for nearly an hour, when I got caught off. He's out there with the people.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2013, 02:44:41 pm »
Pease went on to say, “All bills for raising revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills. To fund anything, in this case Obamacare, first approval is required by the House of Representatives.”

I thought the ACA originated in the Senate?

How are the tax increases Constitutional then?

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2013, 02:46:21 pm »
I was on a tele Town Hall with Cruz on Wednesday at 8 PM, for nearly an hour, when I got caught off. He's out there with the people.

He's out there with people who will give him their email address and help fund his future presidential campaign.

Now that he's backed the entire Republican party into a corner, he's selfishly feathering his own nest.

What are his ideas for getting out of this mess?  Continuing to offer weaker and weaker measures, showing the world that we're now at the point where we'll take the smallest bone Obama will throw us?

Pathetic.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2013, 02:47:08 pm »
I'm sorry Sink but I simply cannot follow your line of reasoning! It simply doesn't compute!

I'm not surprised.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2013, 02:49:04 pm »
I thought the ACA originated in the Senate?

How are the tax increases Constitutional then?

The House sent over a bill, Reid stripped everything out of it but the title, and the bill turned into the ACA.  That's perfectly constitutional.  The Republicans used to do it all the time when they owned both Houses of Congress.

Offline happyg

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2013, 02:55:03 pm »
He's out there with people who will give him their email address and help fund his future presidential campaign.

Now that he's backed the entire Republican party into a corner, he's selfishly feathering his own nest.

What are his ideas for getting out of this mess?  Continuing to offer weaker and weaker measures, showing the world that we're now at the point where we'll take the smallest bone Obama will throw us?

Pathetic.

He did no such thing, and you know nothing about the man, except what you want to believe.  I guess he isn't limp wristed enough for you.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2013, 02:55:32 pm »

Pathetic.

It could be he is doing two things - both listening to the public and crowdsourcing ideas. It is a surprisingly effective technique.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2013, 02:56:45 pm »
I'm not surprised.

I'm not either! My mind simply will not contort like yours does and I thank GOD for that!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2013, 02:59:08 pm »
It could be he is doing two things - both listening to the public and crowdsourcing ideas. It is a surprisingly effective technique.

He's listening to the same crowd that got us into this mess.  What new ideas did you hear last night for resolving this shutdown?

Offline happyg

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2013, 02:59:22 pm »
I'm not either! My mind simply will not contort like yours does and I thank GOD for that!

:beer:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2013, 03:01:09 pm »
He did no such thing, and you know nothing about the man, except what you want to believe.  I guess he isn't limp wristed enough for you.

He's an opportunist.  Much like Barack Obama, he thinks six months in the Senate qualifies him for the Presidency. 

What new ideas did he have for resolving the shutdown?  Keep doing what we're doing and hope for the best?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2013, 03:04:56 pm »
He's an opportunist.  Much like Barack Obama, he thinks six months in the Senate qualifies him for the Presidency. 

What new ideas did he have for resolving the shutdown?  Keep doing what we're doing and hope for the best?

Unlike you he is also a noted Constitutional scholar! He knows what he is doing!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2013, 03:08:54 pm »
Unlike you he is also a noted Constitutional scholar! He knows what he is doing!

He does? What is he doing? 

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2013, 03:09:02 pm »
Here is a link to a video of Ted Cruz's dad speaking! Watch it and tell me what he says that you disagree with!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0Ym4Xt0T6fM

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2013, 03:10:59 pm »
He does? What is he doing?

He's trying to save this once great republic! That's all! And, unlike you,  most people recognize the fact!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2013, 03:22:27 pm »
He's trying to save this once great republic! That's all! And, unlike you,  most people recognize the fact!

I find it odd that sinkspur is blaming Ted Cruz for what Harry Reid and Barack Obama are doing.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2013, 03:34:41 pm »

What, exactly, is he doing? 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2013, 03:36:31 pm »
I find it odd that sinkspur is blaming Ted Cruz for what Harry Reid and Barack Obama are doing.

Reid and Obama are reacting to what Ted Cruz browbeat the House Republicans into doing.    Now that the government is shutdown, and his suggestions for resolving it have failed, what else is he doing to help bring it to an end?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2013, 03:39:08 pm »
Reid and Obama are reacting to what Ted Cruz browbeat the House Republicans into doing.    Now that the government is shutdown, and his suggestions for resolving it have failed, what else is he doing to help bring it to an end?

Who says we need to bring it to an end.....?

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2013, 03:58:48 pm »

GOOD question.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2013, 04:15:14 pm »

The stock market is down 167 points as we speak.  Uncertainty comes at an economic cost.  If the Dow loses a thousand points, the pressure on Boehner to bring this to an end will be immense.