Author Topic: Reid: ‘Why Would We Want To’ Help One Kid With Cancer?  (Read 1417 times)

Offline flowers

Reid: ‘Why Would We Want To’ Help One Kid With Cancer?
« on: October 02, 2013, 06:58:25 pm »
http://freebeacon.com/reid-why-would-we-want-to-help-one-kid-with-cancer/

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D., Nev.) asked why Senate Democrats would want to fund the National Institutes of Health to “help one child who has cancer” Wednesday when asked that question by CNN reporter Dana Bash.

DANA BASH: You all talked about children with cancer unable to go to clinical trials. The House is presumably going to pass a bill that funds at least the NIH. Given what you’ve said, will you at least pass that? And if not, aren’t you playing the same political games that Republicans are?

HARRY REID: Listen, Sen. Durbin explained that very well, and he did it here, did it on the floor earlier, as did Sen. Schumer. What right did they have to pick and choose what part of government is going to be funded? It’s obvious what’s going on here. You talk about reckless and irresponsible. Wow. What this is all about is Obamacare. They are obsessed. I don’t know what other word I can use. They’re obsessed with this Obamacare. It’s working now and it will continue to work and people will love it more than they do now by far. So they have no right to pick and choose.

BASH: But if you can help one child who has cancer, why wouldn’t you do it?

REID: Why would we want to do that? I have 1,100 people at Nellis Air Force base that are sitting home. They have a few problems of their own. This is — to have someone of your intelligence to suggest such a thing maybe means you’re irresponsible and reckless –

BASH: I’m just asking a question.

Full exchange:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Reid: ‘Why Would We Want To’ Help One Kid With Cancer?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 07:07:22 pm »
Brilliant he ain't!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 07:11:34 pm »
What right did they have to pick and choose what part of government is going to be funded?

The Origination Clause of the Constitution perhaps?

I'm sure not a single CNN reporter knew enough to offer that rebuttal...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 07:18:08 pm »
If a Republican said what Reid just said, he'd be out of a job.

I know, I know....
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 07:18:55 pm »
But if you can help one child who has cancer, why wouldn’t you do it?

Ok, Harry, you brought it up so answer the question. You phoney sob.

Very pleased a CNN reporter asked the appropriate follow up question. Wonder if she will keep her job.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline happyg

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 10:30:21 pm »
Even worse, more than one child is likely to die because of the closing of NIH. NIH has a long waiting list, sometimes up to over a year. The children who go there are most likely dying already, and have undiagnosed illnesses. My son's fiancée's son was there for a week a couple months ago with an undiagnosed illness.  He is six years old. They did all sorts of tests on him that aren't available anywhere else. His final diagnosis wasn't good. He is dying, but at least, now there is a name for what happened to him, and other lives might be saved through their research. His mother is distraught, but has renewed energy and is learning to cope with the time he has left. Reece is just one example of the many children who go through those doors each day. Now, those doors are closed to them because of the sobs in DC.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 10:36:25 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/326219-reid-clarifies-exchange-with-reporter-after-conservatives-pounce

Reid clarifies exchange with reporter after conservatives pounce on remark
By Jonathan Easley - 10/02/13 05:18 PM ET

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) sought to clarify comments he made in a testy exchange with a reporter on Wednesday, after conservatives pounced on what they portrayed as a serious government shutdown gaffe.

Senator Harry Reid        ? @SenatorReid

Republicans are in such desperate straits that they have literally resorted to accusing me of not caring about kids with cancer. Shameful.
3:39 PM - 2 Oct 2013

Earlier on Wednesday, Reid was engaged in a terse back and forth with CNN reporter Dana Bash, who asked him why the Senate wouldn’t consider passing a bill to fund the National Institute of Health, after reports that some young cancer patients were being kept out of clinical trials because of the shutdown.

“If you can help one child who has cancer, why wouldn’t you do it?,” Bash asked.

“Why would we want to do that?,” Reid shot back. “I have 1,100 people at Nellis Air Force base that are sitting home. They have a few problems of their own. This is — to have someone of your intelligence to suggest such a thing maybe means you’re irresponsible and reckless.”

In the exchange with Bash, Reid had been trying to argue that Democrats would not bow to Republican attempts to pick and choose what parts of the government to fund, because they were looking to fund everything except for ObamaCare.

Democrats have so far rejected the GOP’s piecemeal approach, and Republicans have countered by voting on bills, such as funding for veterans, to put the Democrats in the difficult position of voting against something that has strong public support.

Conservatives jumped on Reid’s comment, with the Drudge Report leading with the headline: “Why would we want to help one kid with cancer?”

Later, in an interview with The Bill Press Show, Reid elaborated on the exchange.

“The whole answer is this – why would we want to have the House of Representatives, John Boehner, cherry pick what stays open and what should be closed?,” he said. “Listen, I gave a speech on the floor talking about the babies – 30 babies, little kids who are not going to have clinical trials. Of course I care about that. I have 16 of my own grandchildren and five of my own children.”

Reid said that there are other agencies, like the Center for Disease Control, that are just as important to fund, and that he’s working to get everything back online.

“What I told Dana Bash, who is a fine reporter, is that we care about all of these things,” he continued. “We care about our state parks, we care about our veterans, but we can’t fall into the trap…of Cruz-led Republicans. That is this…we’ll cherry pick…and finally at the end, everything will be open except for ObamaCare.”

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Dengar01

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 10:42:09 pm »
This guy is turning into a cranky Mr. Wilson from Dennis the Menace.  Of course we all know the MSM will not cover this and instead try and say Republicans want to kill children and old people...

Offline happyg

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 10:42:18 pm »
He's a liar. He got caught with his pants down, and the world got to see the real Dirty Harry, if only for a few seconds.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 11:11:58 pm »

What right did they have to pick and choose what part of government is going to be funded?

What right did THEY have to pick and choose what companies and unions were going to get waivers for Obamacare?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Carling

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 01:07:25 am »
Senator Harry Reid        ✔ @SenatorReid

Republicans are in such desperate straits that they have literally resorted to accusing me of not caring about kids with cancer. Shameful.
3:39 PM - 2 Oct 2013

Wait, so the GOP made Sen. Reid say one of the dumbest things a person, let along politician, could say about funding cancer research?   8888crybaby
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------