Author Topic: George Will Is Moving from ABC News to Fox News  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

George Will Is Moving from ABC News to Fox News
« on: October 01, 2013, 10:18:14 pm »
Fox News has been adding new faces this year, and Tuesday they landed a big one: conservative commentator George Will who will be ended a 32-year relationship with ABC News and This Week. Fox announced their new hire in a press release Tuesday: Will, 72, has been named a contributor for Special Report with Bret Baier and Fox News Sunday in the new deal. The latter will be where Will spends most of his time, as he did on ABC, providing yet another perspective from the right for Fox's Sunday morning show.

The reason for the Will's change of job is actually quite simple: it's because he didn't want to change his location, the Huffington Post's Michael Calderone reports:

With George Stephanopoulos hosting Good Morning America in New York during the week, the Sunday show, long based in Washington, D.C., now only tapes in the capital about once every four weeks. And Will, who lives in the D.C. area, informed ABC News that traveling several weekends a month was becoming tougher for him, according to the spokesman.

Will joins a growing cast of notable new contributors at Fox News, where the channel is in the middle of a pretty big shakeup, all the way up to their primetime lineup. They started the year by hiring former pizza kingpin and Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain. After some controversy forced him out at CNN, Howard Kurtz moved to Fox to host Reliable Sources #MediaBuzz. Shortly after, Kurtz's close friend Lauren Ashburn followed. And then there's Elizabeth Hasselbeck, who also previously called ABC home before leaving for Fox. We speculated she might not be enjoying her new digs. But at least she's putting on a happy face.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/10/george-will-moving-abc-news-fox-news/70081/

Any opinions on this? A net gain? Loss? Who cares? Who's George Will?
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Re: George Will Is Moving from ABC News to Fox News
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 10:27:51 pm »
Their baseball coverage should improve.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline olde north church

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 11:02:13 pm »
Their baseball coverage should improve.

Piffle!
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 11:07:10 pm »
Years ago, I looked forward to hearing his opinions.  Of course, years ago - I enjoyed NPR, CSPAN, The McCloughlin Group and the old Crossfire.  That's all changed now, people I used to agree with a lot are now too moderate.  I don't know if they changed or if I did. 

That said, I think he is a fine addition to the FOX line-up.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 11:08:55 pm »
Good.  I for one am thrilled to death. I have a good friend who is socially liberal and an NPR listener, like so many "hip" people in this liberal, heavily gay beach community.  She also poo poos Fox News-not that she's ever watched it.  Her center-left boyfriend gives her George Will columns to read.  I wonder how she can continue to make fun of Fox when her beloved BF's fave political commentator is contracted there?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 11:11:57 pm »
Will is an incisive wordsmith who can be counted on to offer a distinctive approach to any topic.  His baseball knowledge is encyclopedic and historical awareness is as keen as any other commentator.

This is a good move. He will be a perfect complement to Charles Krauthammer and Brit Hume.  FOXNEWS now has a stable of conservative superstars and this will only drive their ratings higher.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 11:49:43 pm »
Will is an incisive wordsmith who can be counted on to offer a distinctive approach to any topic.  His baseball knowledge is encyclopedic and historical awareness is as keen as any other commentator.

This is a good move. He will be a perfect complement to Charles Krauthammer and Brit Hume.  FOXNEWS now has a stable of conservative superstars and this will only drive their ratings higher.

He is an outstanding baseball commentator...I really wasn't being sarcastic.  Hopefully, he'll bring in an audience.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

famousdayandyear

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 12:16:29 am »
What difference, at this point, does it make?  George Will is NOT going to FOX Sports.

Offline ladybug

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 12:30:06 am »
George Will is much more than an avid baseball fan. He will be a great addition to fox.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 12:32:54 am »
George Will is much more than an avid baseball fan. He will be a great addition to fox.

Will and Krauthammer on the same panel will be historic media.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 12:41:30 am »
What difference, at this point, does it make?  George Will is NOT going to FOX Sports.

There are probably many conservative people who are also avid baseball followers, and likely enjoy him for both reasons.  Looks like there's 1 or 2 on this thread alone. 

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 12:48:10 am »
Will and Krauthammer on the same panel will be historic media.

Wow... that will be something!
---
I love it when Will writes or talks about baseball.  He understands the essence of the game.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

famousdayandyear

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 12:56:33 am »
Wow... that will be something!
---
I love it when Will writes or talks about baseball.  He understands the essence of the game.

So.  Let me get this straight.  George Will is moving to Fox to join Krauthammer to discuss baseball?  Are Tom Boswell and Roger Angell going be there too?

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 01:10:49 am »
Geez lady, who peed in your Wheaties this morning?    It was just a small point, an opinion.   

famousdayandyear

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 01:24:21 am »
Geez lady, who peed in your Wheaties this morning?    It was just a small point, an opinion.   

Where were you ankle-biter, when the sinkster et al was after me tooth and nail.  That's right, opportunist, no freakin where.  You are too dense to grasp an intellectual point so will not waste time explaining a fine point.  In the meantime, too me a favor and get lost.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 01:26:15 am »
So.  Let me get this straight.  George Will is moving to Fox to join Krauthammer to discuss baseball?  Are Tom Boswell and Roger Angell going be there too?
LOL... These guys have incredible intellects and will be there as news/political pundits. That's clear. But they are huge baseball fans and Will is a baseball historian.

I wonder if Vin Scully is looking for a semi-retirement gig...
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

famousdayandyear

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 01:31:51 am »
LOL... These guys have incredible intellects and will be there as news/political pundits. That's clear. But they are huge baseball fans and Will is a baseball historian.

I wonder if Vin Scully is looking for a semi-retirement gig...

And if they could resurrect Red Barber, that would be Heaven On Earth!

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 04:35:03 am »
Years ago, I looked forward to hearing his opinions.  Of course, years ago - I enjoyed NPR, CSPAN, The McCloughlin Group and the old Crossfire.  That's all changed now, people I used to agree with a lot are now too moderate.  I don't know if they changed or if I did. 

That said, I think he is a fine addition to the FOX line-up.

What I recall that he became a person non grata in DC and the White House when George Herbert Walker Bush became President.

His crime...writing that he was merely Reagan's lapdog.  So...essentially, he hasn't been a quality source because he's a 'leper'.

I do remember him back in 87 in Georgetown...he was a pompous a$$.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 04:58:11 am »

Very much in agreement.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

famousdayandyear

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 05:02:16 am »
Perfect, assuming George Will is a conservative "superstar". 

Does anybody know where he stood on stopping Obamacare from taking effect?