Author Topic: Obama accuses GOP of 'ideological crusade' on healthcare, shutdown  (Read 9597 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/video/administration/325869-obama-accuses-gop-of-ideological-crusade

Obama accuses GOP of 'ideological crusade' on healthcare, shutdown
By Amie Parnes - 10/01/13 01:59 PM ET

President Obama slammed House Republicans on Tuesday, accusing them of shutting down the government over an “ideological crusade” on healthcare.

Speaking to reporters in the Rose Garden, an irate Obama placed blame squarely on Congressional Republicans and said the shutdown did not have to happen.

The longer it continued, he warned, “the worse the effects will be.”

Obama also maintained that he would “not give in to reckless demands” from House Republicans to repeal or delay the Affordable Care Act.

“They don’t get to hold the entire economy hostage over ideological demands,” Obama said.

He characterized the shutdown as boiling down to Republicans efforts to roll back Obamacare.

“This more than anything else seems to be what the Republican Party stands for these days,” Obama said.

“I know it’s strange that one party would make keeping people uninsured the centerpiece of their agenda but that apparently is what it is. And of course what’s stranger still is that shutting down our government doesn’t accomplish their stated goal.”

Contrary to Republican beliefs, Obama said, the healthcare law “hasn’t destroyed our economy.”

Obama also reiterated that he would not negotiate over raising the debt ceiling. The Treasury Department has said Congress must lift the borrowing limit by Oct. 17.

“Let me repeat: I will not negotiate over Congress’s responsibility to pay bills its already racked up,” Obama said. “I’m not going to allow anybody to drag the good name of the United States of America through the mud just to refight a settled election or extract ideological demands.”

Republicans on Tuesday continued to hammer Obama for not negotiating with them. But polls finding that majorities oppose tying healthcare funding to keeping the government operating have bolstered White House confidence.

Obama’s comments came after he met with people the White House says will benefit from new insurance marketplaces, which began on Tuesday as a result of the Affordable Care Act. During his statement, Obama called the launch “historic” and said it had been “a long time coming.”

“This is life or death stuff,” Obama said of the necessity of a healthcare law. “Tens of thousands of Americans die each year just because they don’t have health insurance. Millions more live with the fear that they’ll go broke if they get sick. And today we begin to free millions of our fellow Americans from that fear.”

The rollout of the Affordable Care Act on Tuesday hasn’t been smooth, with reports of long waits and a string of computer glitches.

White House aides took to Twitter to blame the problems on high demand, and to trumpet the fact that more than 1 million people visited healthcare.gov, the website where Americans can sign up for healthcare insurance.

Obama vowed to fix the problems that showed up Tuesday.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Obama accuses GOP of 'ideological crusade' on healthcare, shutdown
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 07:11:31 pm »
The GOP leadership team should have gamed this whole thing out. They should have anticipated that letting it go this far, puts Obama on the "bully-pulpit" everyday.

But wait. I believe the GOP leadership did intend to get something out of the budget showdown, but only what was consistent with holding a less-than-veto-proof majority of one house.

Along came the Cruz faction, and handed Obama his chance to shut down the govt. and blame it on Republicans.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 07:12:11 pm »
“They don’t get to hold the entire economy hostage over ideological demands,” Obama said.

But you do?  Bozo...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 07:13:33 pm »
The GOP leadership team should have gamed this whole thing out. They should have anticipated that letting it go this far, puts Obama on the "bully-pulpit" everyday.

But wait. I believe the GOP leadership did intend to get something out of the budget showdown, but only what was consistent with holding a less-than-veto-proof majority of one house.

Along came the Cruz faction, and handed Obama his chance to shut down the govt. and blame it on Republicans.

I think we get it, you do not like Ted Cruz.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 07:36:53 pm »
I think we get it, you do not like Ted Cruz.
Any remarks on the substance of my comments?

FYI, I neither "like" or "dislike" Cruz. I'm considering the effectiveness of his actions.

You know, message vs. messenger, that sort of distinction. That sometimes requires holding two, somewhat contradictory ideas, in one's mind.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 12:24:04 am »

FYI, I neither "like" or "dislike" Cruz. I'm considering the effectiveness of his actions.

You know, message vs. messenger, that sort of distinction. That sometimes requires holding two, somewhat contradictory ideas, in one's mind.

You and your sidekick here are both convinced this bill should become law. I am equally convinced it should not and if we don't stand on this hill and fight then the GOP might as well pack it in. I think Ted Cruz is great and wish we had dozens more like him in the senate.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 12:28:47 am »
You and your sidekick here are both convinced this bill should become law. I am equally convinced it should not and if we don't stand on this hill and fight then the GOP might as well pack it in. I think Ted Cruz is great and wish we had dozens more like him in the senate.

Obamacare IS law.  The only way to overturn it is to retake the Senate in 2014 and the White House in 2016.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 12:34:39 am »
Obamacare IS law.  The only way to overturn it is to retake the Senate in 2014 and the White House in 2016.

and that is the truth.. We need to live in the real world. I have a feeling that Ted Cruz mania will go down in a couple of years.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 12:37:21 am »

Substance of your comments?

Haven't the "substance of your comments" been Beaten. To. Death. here already for the last week?   

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 12:37:33 am »
and that is the truth.. We need to live in the real world. I have a feeling that Ted Cruz mania will go down in a couple of years.

I don't know about that.  Cruz is now in the pantheon of Tea Party Gods.  As with Sarah Palin, some will hang on his every word.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 12:41:15 am »
I don't know about that.  Cruz is now in the pantheon of Tea Party Gods.  As with Sarah Palin, some will hang on his every word.

True, but the path the Cruz and Palin is leading the Tea Party is not a good one.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 12:46:08 am »
True, but the path the Cruz and Palin is leading the Tea Party is not a good one.

Well, we'll see. As with everything else, if the GOP somehow comes out of this shutdown intact, it will be because of Ted Cruz.

If they crash and burn and lose the House next year, Cruz will be absolved of any blame whatsoever. 

It's great to be a Tea Party God.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 12:48:20 am »
Well, we'll see. As with everything else, if the GOP somehow comes out of this shutdown intact, it will be because of Ted Cruz.

If they crash and burn and lose the House next year, Cruz will be absolved of any blame whatsoever. 

True.... I think the GOP will come out ok on this.. This will not be the last CR, plus once Obamacare is in full effect, I think the people will be upset. But I could be wrong.

Offline Millee

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 12:52:36 am »

So what's your solution for a winning ticket???  Bush/Christie 2016???   :2barf:

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 12:54:31 am »
So what's your solution for a winning ticket???  Bush/Christie 2016???   :2barf:

I don't know.. I'm more concerned about 2014 than 2016.. Right now I prefer Marco Rubio, Rick Perry, or Bobby Jindal.

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 12:54:43 am »

/snicker

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 01:01:13 am »

According to you! I beg to differ!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 01:25:12 am »

No question about it. All we who approve of what Cruz is doing to save our medical choices and admire him for his courage are a bunch of brain dead robots.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 01:32:01 am »
Please point out where I stated I'm convinced this bill should become law?

FYI the bill is already law. The issue is the annual budget.

I'm convinced the GOP was lured into doing what Obama and the dems want, namely setting the table for the 2014 midterms.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 01:32:26 am »

If they lose the House next year, it will be time to flee the country. One-party Democrat rule was exactly how we got into this mess in the first place.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 01:34:51 am »
Please point out where I stated I'm convinced this bill should become law?

FYI the bill is already law. The issue is the annual budget.

I'm convinced the GOP was lured into doing what Obama and the dems want, namely setting the table for the 2014 midterms.

2014 is a long way.. There will be other Debt Ceiling fights and CR fights I'm afraid..

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2013, 01:37:10 am »
If they lose the House next year, it will be time to flee the country. One-party Democrat rule was exactly how we got into this mess in the first place.

I don't think the Republicans will lose the House, but they could very well be blowing their chance at taking the Senate. 

But that doesn't matter to the Tea Party.  NOW is all they care about.  For some reason Ted Cruz and his followers think they can force Obama to gut the only achievement of his presidency.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 01:39:36 am »
I don't think the Republicans will lose the House, but they could very well be blowing their chance at taking the Senate. 

But that doesn't matter to the Tea Party.  NOW is all they care about.  For some reason Ted Cruz and his followers think they can force Obama to gut the only achievement of his presidency.

The key to get rid of Obama Care is win in 2014 and 2016.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 01:50:20 am »
The key to get rid of Obama Care is win in 2014 and 2016.

And something you, Sink, TS refuse to face is 2014 and especially 2016 is TOO LATE!  This will collapse, it was designed to collapse, but they are already collapsing the PRIVATE insurance sector and this is designed to result in a single payer system.  I take it the few of you pushing this actually think a single payer is good... trust me... it IS NOT.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2013, 02:02:00 am »
And something you, Sink, TS refuse to face is 2014 and especially 2016 is TOO LATE!  This will collapse, it was designed to collapse, but they are already collapsing the PRIVATE insurance sector and this is designed to result in a single payer system.  I take it the few of you pushing this actually think a single payer is good... trust me... it IS NOT.

So, how does this end, Rap?  If 2014 is too late, what happens next?