Author Topic: Krauthammer to GOP: ‘The ballgame is over. Throw in the towel’  (Read 1410 times)

Offline happyg

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/01/krauthammer-to-gop-the-ballgame-is-over-throw-in-the-towel/

In the wee hours of Tuesday morning, shortly after the government officially had shut down, Washington Post columnist Charles Krauthammer said it was time for Republicans to “throw in the towel.”

During a special broadcast of “Special Report,” Krauthammer explained that Republicans had missed an opportunity to attack President Barack Obama and his unpopular health care law. Instead, Krauthammer said, the GOP will be forced to defend a government shutdown.

“If they had started to make the argument a month ago about delay, to make people understand the unfairness, which is the heart of the issue, to talk about the exemption for Congress — they would have had the upper hand,” Krauthammer said. “But because it was all monopolized by some people in Congress who wanted only to speak about essentially destroying Obamacare, it became an issue of president’s signature. It passed the House, it passed the Senate — all of this that we had been hearing over and over again and then it became — people said ‘are going to say are you really going to do this over a continuing resolution?’ So that was a loser from the beginning.”

“The problem here is that Republicans in the House are now in retreat as it goes from overturning it to delaying it to delaying a provision and now to having a conference,” he continued. “Look, it is over. The ballgame is over. Throw in the towel. The place to fight — this has always been true … you fight on the debt ceiling. We know from the polls that people want to see a fight on the debt ceiling. They’re not even in favor of raising it even in the absence of demands. It’s the one place where the polls have shown 60 percent of Americans want to see it coupled with a decrease in spending and are prepared to see a fight and the threat over it.”

Krauthammer insisted the opportunity to wage a public-relations attack on Obamacare, and that the nation will focus on the government shutdown.

“The other part of it, if I could just add one point — we ought to be showing today the complete dysfunction of the kickoff of health care of these exchanges,” he added. “All of the loopholes, all of the mistakes, all of the stuff that we know is there. Instead of the focus being on that as it would be, we’ve monopolized the headlines. What’s it going to be on? The panda cam is now shutdown in the zoo.”

Video at link

Online GourmetDan

Re: Krauthammer to GOP: ‘The ballgame is over. Throw in the towel’
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 06:54:38 pm »
During a special broadcast of “Special Report,” Krauthammer explained that Republicans had missed an opportunity to attack President Barack Obama and his unpopular health care law.

It's always 'too late' with these guys.

"Oh, sorry.  Missed your chance."

Just normal liberal 'reality is what I say it is' rhetoric...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 07:10:50 pm »
I think Krauthammer's arguments against the shutdown are strong. Rush said it today. It's not our conservative ideas that keep us from winning, it's the Democrat main stream media. And the media are aligned against Republicans on health care.

What we're arguing about is which tactic is best. But the goal is the same–stop Obamacare.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 07:13:06 pm »
Sometimes I agree with Charles sometimes I don't....and today I don't
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 09:19:44 pm »
Sometimes I agree with Charles sometimes I don't....and today I don't
I stopped listening to him some time ago.  He gives in to much for my taste. Didn't he work in the Carter regime?

****cute kitty

Offline Olivia

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 09:30:51 pm »
 Charles Krauthammer is very critical of the conservatives in the republican party, but, had it not been for them, the other republicans would have capitulated on day one.
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 09:35:50 pm »
Please.....Charles Krauthammer is brilliant pragmatist.

He's truly objective of all the evidence presented and provides thoughtful analysis.

I'm not saying the government shutdown will not translate into a Dem tsunami victory for the mid-terms.....it will take a miracle to defeat the media.

In that sense, I agree with Charles....but I believe in miracles.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 01:09:46 am »
I stopped listening to him some time ago.  He gives in to much for my taste. Didn't he work in the Carter regime?

****cute kitty

and he wrote for Mondale
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776