Author Topic: Senate Dems reject one-week stopgap to avoid shutdown  (Read 1019 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate Dems reject one-week stopgap to avoid shutdown
« on: September 30, 2013, 07:58:53 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/325549-senate-democrats-reject-one-week-stopgap-to-avoid-shutdown

Senate Dems reject one-week stopgap to avoid shutdown
By Alexander Bolton - 09/30/13 03:28 PM ET

Senate Democratic leaders on Monday vowed to reject any proposal to extend government funding by only a week, as several Republicans have proposed.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) balked at the idea of extending government funding by only a few days, setting up another showdown in early October.

“The Senate’s bill is a short-term extensions. That’s what it is,” Reid said, referring to the Senate bill that extends funding to Nov. 15.

Reid argued that passing a shorter-term proposal would create instability and tarnish the nation’s reputation on the world stage.

“If we can’t pass this, we’re only truly entering a banana republic mindset,” he said.

“The threat of shutting down every week?” asked Senate Democratic Whip Dick Durbin (Ill.). “We’re dealing with this image of a banana republic lurching from every seven days whether we’re going to have a government.”

Democratic leaders called on Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) to put the Senate stopgap on the House floor, predicting it would pass overwhelmingly with centrist Republican and Democratic votes.

"The fate of the country depends on the House being able to vote, the House, all members of the House of Representatives,” said Reid. “I hope that John Boehner makes a responsible decision, one that’s good for the country.”

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: Senate Dems reject one-week stopgap to avoid shutdown
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 08:19:43 pm »
“The threat of shutting down every week?” asked Senate Democratic Whip Dick Durbin (Ill.). “We’re dealing with this image of a banana republic lurching from every seven days whether we’re going to have a government.”

Remind me again: which party's leadership has refused to pass a Federal budget for over three years?

Senator Dick Durbin
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline happyg

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 08:50:33 pm »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 08:54:11 pm »

:amen: :amen: and :amen:

Where have you heard that before?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien