Author Topic: Park Service Prepped to Close Memorials to Aging Veterans  (Read 906 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Park Service Prepped to Close Memorials to Aging Veterans
« on: September 30, 2013, 07:29:05 pm »
http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/park-service-prepped-to-close-memorials-to-aging-veterans.html

By Todd Starnes
Elderly veterans will not be allowed to pay their respects at the World War II Memorial’s outdoor plaza in the event of a government shutdown, angering a Mississippi congressman who is calling on President Obama to accommodate the aging warriors.

“I’m angry and I’m heartbroken,” Rep. Steven Palazzo told me. “This is how we are going to treat them? I think it’s a low-down move.”

The National Park Service confirmed that the World War II Memorial on the Washington Mall would be barricaded in the event of a government shutdown. An area for passenger buses will be blocked off, restrooms will be closed and the water will be turned off.

Spokesperson Carol Johnson tells me park police will be on duty to make sure no one enters the outdoor plaza.2004-5memorial_plaza
“These are national security icons,” she said. “They will be on duty to protect the monuments and the memorials.”

Palazzo said 91 Mississippi World War II veterans are expected to arrive in Washington, D.C. on Tuesday as part of an Honor Flight. Many of the veterans are in their eighties and nineties.

“I don’t know if this is a political move or it’s bureaucratic oversight,” he said. “This may be the only opportunity for some of these veterans to see the memorial in their lifetime.”

So the congressman fired off a letter to President Obama urging him to instruct the National Park Service not to deny veterans access the monuments.

“It would truly be devastating to our veterans that travel great lengths to share this experience with family and friends and see a piece of their own history,” he wrote.

He said granting the elderly men access “is the very least we can do for our Greatest Generation who sacrificed so much on behalf of our country.”

Palazzo said it seems as though the National Park Service is wasting a lot of time blocking off the open-air plaza.

“It doesn’t make a lot of sense because this is an open-air memorial,” he said. “Allow them to walk through there and lay flowers and pay respect to their fallen brothers. We owe everything to them.”

The congressman said the plan was to walk the veterans through the memorial so they could lay a wreath at the Mississippi memorial. At least ten other states are expected to bring veterans to the nation’s capitol this week.

Johnson said the National Park Service has deep sympathy for the plight of the elderly veterans.

“This is out of our control,” she said. “We are being instructed to close.”

The National Park Service is currently pre-staging for the closures. Workers are bringing out barricades and they will be installed Tuesday morning if the government shuts down.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

Re: Park Service Prepped to Close Memorials to Aging Veterans
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 07:49:37 pm »
“I’m angry and I’m heartbroken,” Rep. Steven Palazzo told me. “This is how we are going to treat them? I think it’s a low-down move.”

Just wait until Obamacare kicks in. I see many, many dead people.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 07:57:47 pm »
Why would you block off an area that's open all the time anyway and requires no supervision of any kind?  This is nothing but nastiness on the part of Obammy.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 07:59:48 pm »
Why would you block off an area that's open all the time anyway and requires no supervision of any kind?  This is nothing but nastiness on the part of Obammy.

He's a mean SOB!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 08:48:01 pm »
Make it as painful and as public as possible.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams