Author Topic: Bob Woodward: Obama's absence in shutdown talks 'a baffling element'  (Read 1092 times)

rangerrebew

Bob Woodward: Obama’s absence in shutdown talks ‘a baffling element’

11:28 AM 09/30/2013

In a break with conventional political wisdom, Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward says that President Obama’s avoidance of talks to avert a potential government shutdown is “baffling” and could hurt him politically.

“He said he will not negotiate on the debt ceiling — a reasonable position, ‘I will not be blackmailed,’ he said. But he should be talking, they should be meeting and they should be discussing this because as I think Steve Rattner showed earlier, the America economy is at stake and the president, if there is a downturn or a collapse or whatever could happen here that’s bad it’s going to be on his head,” Woodward said on Monday’s broadcast of MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.”

Woodward argues that history would judge Obama harshly if a shutdown occurs.

“The history books are going to say, ‘We have an economic calamity in the presidency of Barack Obama,’” Woodward continued. “Speaker Boehner is indeed playing a role on this. Go back to the Great Depression in the 1930s, I’ll bet no one can name who was Speaker of the House at the time — Henry Thomas Rainey. He’s not in the history books. It’s on the president’s head. He’s got to lead, he’s got to talk. And the absence of discussion here I think is a baffling element.”

Follow Jeff on Twitter

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/09/30/bob-woodward-obamas-absence-in-shutdown-talks-a-baffling-element/#ixzz2gP00G6RV

Maybe he has golf games scheduled. :thud:

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: Bob Woodward: Obama's absence in shutdown talks 'a baffling element'
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 06:39:23 pm »
Funny.  I am not baffled in the least.  This is the guy who decided he'd rather get a --- we all know what -- than attend to his duties as CIC at the moment our Libyan ambassador came under attack.  Why would anyone be baffled by his behavior now?

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 06:47:09 pm »
Funny.  I am not baffled in the least.  This is the guy who decided he'd rather get a --- we all know what -- than attend to his duties as CIC at the moment our Libyan ambassador came under attack.  Why would anyone be baffled by his behavior now?

Even the usual tools are finding it difficult to support their president...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 06:52:31 pm »
http://freebeacon.com/woodward-if-shutdown-or-debt-ceiling-causes-economic-crisis-its-on-the-presidents-head/

BY: Washington Free Beacon Staff
September 30, 2013 7:47 am

Bob Woodward of The Washington Post said if there is a “downturn or a collapse” resulting from the failure of CR or debt ceiling negotiations it will be on President Obama’s “head” Monday on Morning Joe.

Woodward noted he respected President Obama’s objection to negotiating on the debt ceiling, but criticized the administration for failing to initiate any dialogue that could result in a deal on funding the government.

“It’s on the president’s head, he’s got to lead, he’s got to talk” Woodward said:

BOB WOODWARD: Can I enter in here just for a moment because I think it’s a good question. And there is something the president could be doing. He said he will not negotiate on the debt ceiling. A reasonable position. “I will not be blackmailed” he said. But he should be talking. They should be meeting, discussing this, because as I think Steve Ratner showed earlier, the American economy is at stake and the president, if there is a downturn or a collapse or whatever could happen here that’s bad, it’s going to be on his head. The history books are going to say, we had an economic calamity in the Presidency of Barack Obama. Speaker Boehner, indeed, is playing a role on this. Go back to the Great Depression in the 1930s. I’ll bet no one can name who was the speaker of the House at the time. Henry Thomas Rainey. He’s not in the history book it’s on the president’s head. He’s got to lead. He’s got to talk. And the absence of discussion here, I think, is baffling element.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 06:56:47 pm »
It's what I meant that we're dealing with an opposition that is essentially a Kamikaze pilot.

They don't give a fig if the government closes down.....as long as people suffer and as long as the criminal enterprise....make that a treasonous enterprise known as the mainstream media continues to cover for him.

In fact, he probably gets sexually aroused at the thought of Americans getting angry at Washington.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 06:59:11 pm »
For criminy sake, it's obvious the Dems want the government to "shut down." It's their only hope for 2014.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Olivia

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 07:11:28 pm »
I don't think Obama knows how to negotiate. Has he ever?  Being known as a great orator is also a lie because he can barely speak in sentences without a teleprompter and someone writing the speech.

Let's face it.  Obama is a community organizer.  He's good at rallying the younger generation and that's why he speaks at the colleges. He's comfortable criticizing the republicans and that's about it.  He has no substance what-so-ever.
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 07:26:25 pm »
Nothing baffling about it! It's Obama's MO and has been for a long time. Even before he became president he voted "present" on anything remotely controversial in the senate!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien