Author Topic: Not Actually a Shutdown  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

Not Actually a Shutdown
« on: September 30, 2013, 06:01:55 pm »
A piece from National Review which shows there will be no government "shutdown". We are being had once again in the area of political propaganda.

The hysterical fears about the effects of a government “shutdown” being voiced by many in Washington, such as Senator Tom Harkin (D., Iowa), who claims it is “as dangerous as the break-up of the Union before the Civil War,” are almost comical.

The truth from the experience of prior shutdowns, applicable federal laws, Justice Department legal opinions, and Office of Management and Budget (OMB) directives, is that crucial government services and benefits would continue without interruption even if Congress fails to agree on a continuing resolution (CR) or President Obama vetoes it. That includes all services essential for national security and public safety — such as the military and law enforcement — as well as mandatory government payments such as Social Security and veterans’ benefits.

In fact, as the Justice Department said in a legal opinion in 1995, “the federal government will not be truly ‘shut down’ . . . because Congress has itself provided that some activities of Government should continue.” Any claim that not passing a CR would result in a “shutting down” of the government “is an entirely inaccurate description,” according to the Justice Department.

Among the services that would continue uninterruptedly:

National security, including the conduct of foreign relations essential to the national security or the safety of life and property;
Benefit payments and the performance of contract obligations under no-year or multi-year appropriations or other funds remaining available for those purposes;
Medical care of inpatients and emergency outpatient care and activities essential for the safe use of food, drugs, and hazardous materials;
Air-traffic control and other transportation safety functions;
Border and coastal protection and surveillance;
Protection of federal lands, buildings, waterways, and other property of the U.S.;
Care of prisoners and others in federal custody;
Law enforcement and criminal investigations;
Emergency and disaster assistance;
Activities essential to the preservation of the money and banking system of the U.S., including borrowing and tax collection;
Production of power and maintenance of the power-distribution system; and
Protection of research property.
So planes, trains, and automobiles will keep running and TSA will keep patting you down. The president can continue to go on overseas trips to conduct foreign relations. Social Security and Medicaid benefits will keep going out. The Border Patrol will keep patrolling our borders to prevent illegal crossings (at least as much as this administration will let it do that). The Federal Bureau of Prisons will keep convicted criminals in prison and the FBI will continue making arrests and investigating violations of the law.

The FDA and the Department of Agriculture will continue their safety testing and inspection of food and drugs, and medical care of inpatients and emergency outpatient care will keep right on going. The Federal Reserve and the Treasury Department will keep printing and borrowing money and protecting the banking system. Unfortunately, the Internal Revenue Service will continue collecting taxes

While it is true a number of "non-essential" services may be interrupted (and which the MSM will stress and stress and fuss over endlessly), I agree with the author when he states:

But to be quite frank, I would be happy to forgo visiting Yosemite, Yellowstone, or the Washington Monument if the result would be the defunding of Obamacare or a significant decrease in a wasteful, bloated federal budget.

http://nationalreview.com/article/359908/not-actually-shutdown-hans-von-spakovsky
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Not Actually a Shutdown
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 06:06:17 pm »
Of course it isn't!

If there is anyone on this site who thinks it would be I would be very surprised!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 06:11:11 pm »
If there is anyone on this site who thinks it would be I would be very surprised!

Anyone? I can think of a couple of posters who are running around here with their panties all in a wad.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 06:26:59 pm »

Anyone? I can think of a couple of posters who are running around here with their panties all in a wad.

Even those people know the government isn't really going to shut down. At least I HOPE they do!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 08:44:39 pm »
Thinking back on this I recalled how the Dems constantly proclaimed Cruz's speech was not a "real" filibuster, but claim this is a "shutdown", though it really isn't.