Author Topic: Millennials Face Uphill Climb  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Millennials Face Uphill Climb
« on: September 30, 2013, 05:42:02 pm »
Millennials Face Uphill Climb

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303643304579105450145516622.html

The on-ramp to adulthood is delayed and harder to reach for young people today, a reality that is changing the country's society and economy, according to a new report.

More demanding job requirements, coupled with the pressures of the recession, have delayed the transition to adulthood for young people in the past decade and earned them the title of "the new lost generation," according to the report from the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce, published Monday.

Much more at above link!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Re: Millennials Face Uphill Climb
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 05:42:46 pm »
Labor force participation rate for young people is at lowest point in 40 years in the not so great Obama economy!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 10:10:25 pm »
Labor force participation rate for young people is at lowest point in 40 years in the not so great Obama economy!

So difficult to wrap my head around people with college degrees being satisfied with being unable to find a decent job and having to live home with mommie and daddy and get free rent and insurance.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 11:31:10 pm »
So difficult to wrap my head around people with college degrees being satisfied with being unable to find a decent job and having to live home with mommie and daddy and get free rent and insurance.
In many cases it's not so much satisfaction as it is no real way out. College-- the long-advertised way out of poverty sold to them throughout the 90s and 2000s-- is exactly what got them into poverty in the first place, and there are few other options if that doesn't work. It's simply cheaper to stay at home, pool resources (one cable bill is cheaper than two) and deal with it rather than to blow money on rent and separate everything.

Now, admittedly, this is much easier with the older children in large families, as they get to stick around and help with their younger siblings (and, in extended families, nephews). A few of my friends started out as independent, then ended up moving back in with their parents. Debt is certainly a factor, but so is the cost of rent, practically impossible to afford without roommates. Taking a look at the people in my home town that were in my graduating class, most of us are still living with parents.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 11:50:12 pm »

I don't think it's a matter of being satisfied but rather a situation they find themselves trapped in. They will, I fervently hope, make their displeasure about that very apparent next year!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 12:57:58 am »
In many cases it's not so much satisfaction as it is no real way out. College-- the long-advertised way out of poverty sold to them throughout the 90s and 2000s-- is exactly what got them into poverty in the first place, and there are few other options if that doesn't work. It's simply cheaper to stay at home, pool resources (one cable bill is cheaper than two) and deal with it rather than to blow money on rent and separate everything.

I grudgingly have to agree with you. Today's college is (IMO) nothing more than a scrap of paper that too many employers are screaming for, yet  is not required for the job performance. I learned all the skills I ever needed while in the military.
This also deals a stunning blow to the fallacy that "growth" is the only indicator of an improving economy.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 01:44:09 am »

Now, admittedly, this is much easier with the older children in large families, as they get to stick around and help with their younger siblings (and, in extended families, nephews). A few of my friends started out as independent, then ended up moving back in with their parents. Debt is certainly a factor, but so is the cost of rent, practically impossible to afford without roommates. Taking a look at the people in my home town that were in my graduating class, most of us are still living with parents.

Back in my day you moved out and on your own as soon as possible. I would have rather had my wisdom teeth pulled again than move back in with my parents...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 02:35:33 am »
It is NOT "satisfied."

It IS dealing with "reality."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 02:39:58 am »

To some degree these kiddies are the victims of their own political decisions.  Unfortunately, almost none of them will realize that for at least another 20 to 30 years.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 02:40:54 am »
It is NOT "satisfied."

It IS dealing with "reality."

A reality they helped create.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 09:55:21 am »
To some degree these kiddies are the victims of their own political decisions.  Unfortunately, almost none of them will realize that for at least another 20 to 30 years.

The phrase "reaping what you have sown" comes to mind.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.