Author Topic: Neighbors Petition Against Illinois Veteran's Habitat for Humanity Home (Update)  (Read 979 times)

Offline happyg

A two-time bronze star recipient and his family were set to receive a home built by Habitat for Humanity. But when some of the new neighbors protested in Illinois, the building was halted.

Today on Fox and Friends, United States Army Sergeant Brian Wood and his wife, Julie, had a happier update to this story.  Neighbors started a petition arguing that the house would not fit in with their community. The homes in the neighborhood are brick, but Habitat for Humanity generally uses vinyl.

When the story went viral on social media, donations poured in from around the world for the family’s brick home. Sgt. Brown said, “It’s been completely amazing. This is just a true example of God at work.”

The couple said they have “no hard feelings” toward their neighbors and are excited to meet them. Habitat for Humanity expects to break ground on their home sometime next March.

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/09/29/neighbors-petition-against-illinois-veterans-habitat-humanity-home

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Let me guess, bunch of HOA types who will take someone's house because there is a weed growing in the front yard.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Oceander

Let me guess, bunch of HOA types who will take someone's house because there is a weed growing in the front yard.

Pretty much the same type of people, although I don't know if this was an actual HOA or not.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Pretty much the same type of people, although I don't know if this was an actual HOA or not.

That was my point, the same mentality.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline happyg

My sister and her husband had been hog farmers, but when his health failed, they sold the farm, and bought a small house on a nearby lake. They loved it, because it was easy to take care of, and they could fish right off their back yard. Later, new homes were build, that were three times the size as my sister's, along with three times the price. They then formed an HOA, and got after my sister to tear down their home, and rebuild to match there's. Of course, they couldn't afford it, so instead gave her a hard time, though she was taking care of an invalid husband.

Her son had new siding put on her home and added a large sunroom. It's a very pretty house, and with her green thumb, the yard is beautiful. Even so, it's too old fashioned for the neighbors, whose homes are not as well kept.  There was a lawsuit, my sister won without much of a fight, and those people were reprimanded by the judge, saying they were their first, and that their houses should have been made to look like hers, if they wanted to do it the right way.  My sister is sort of backwards, not stupid in the least, but timid, and after her husband died, she came out of her shell, and gave them more than they bargained for. Now, they all get along.