Author Topic: Harley Earl Corvette Sting Ray sold for $925,000  (Read 709 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Harley Earl Corvette Sting Ray sold for $925,000
« on: September 29, 2013, 10:53:50 am »
Harley Earl Corvette Sting Ray sold for $925,000

For those who do not know, Harley Earl is the designer of the original Corvette. His design work, known as "Project Opel", began as a secret project. He first offered it to Chevrolet general manager Ed Cole and Cole, thankfully so, accepted the project without hesitation. Later, the car was offered to the public in 1953 as the Chevrolet Corvette. Well, Mr. Earl, obviously, was given a 1963 Corvette Sting Ray by GM and has kept it for himself for all of these years. Until this weekend when it was auctioned off to the highest bidder.

The 1963 Corvette Sting Ray was sold during the Mecum Original Spring Classic auction this past weekend for a whopping $925,000. A pretty impressive number, but a tad shy of the $1.3 Million reserve it had on it last year. We are going to go ahead and blame the economy on this one because there is no way a classic like this belonging to the designer could possibly have a decrease of interest.

Read more: http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/harley-earl-corvette-sting-ray-sold-for-925-000-ar90683.html

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Harley Earl Corvette Sting Ray sold for $925,000
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 10:57:27 am »

This was my 66 Stingray which I owned back in 1982.   I used to put my baby daughter in a little hand carrier behind the passenger seat...over the battery compartment.   

My wife did not approve, of course.  LOL!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald