Author Topic: House Leaves U.S. on Brink of Shutdown  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Carling

House Leaves U.S. on Brink of Shutdown
« on: September 29, 2013, 12:42:35 am »
Didn't the House pass a bipartisan resolution that the Dems in the Senate sent back w/out any negotiation?   :tongue2:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/29/us/politics/budget-talks-government-shutdown.html?_r=1&

WASHINGTON — The federal government on Saturday barreled toward its first shutdown in 17 years after House Republicans, choosing a hard line, demanded a one-year delay of President Obama’s health care law and the repeal of a tax to pay for the law before approving any funds to keep the government running.

Republicans emerged from a closed-door meeting Saturday unified and confident that they had the votes to delay the health care law and eliminate a tax on medical devices that partly pays for it. But before the House had even voted, Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the majority leader, declared the House bill dead. Senate Democrats are planning to table the Republican measures when they convene on Monday, leaving it up to the House to pass a stand-alone spending bill free of any measures that undermine the health care law.

The House’s action all but assured that large parts of the government would be shuttered as of 12:01 a.m. on Tuesday. More than 800,000 federal workers deemed nonessential faced furloughs; millions more could be working without paychecks.

A separate House Republican bill would also ensure that military personnel continued to be paid in the event of a government shutdown, an acknowledgment that a shutdown was likely. The health law delay and the troop financing bill were set for House passage Saturday.

“The American people don’t want a government shutdown, and they don’t want Obamacare,” House Republican leaders said in a statement. “We will do our job and send this bill over, and then it’s up to the Senate to pass it and stop a government shutdown.”
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline happyg

Re: House Leaves U.S. on Brink of Shutdown
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 01:03:35 am »
I wonder if most Americans even care whether there is a shutdown?

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 02:00:44 am »
I wonder if most Americans even care whether there is a shutdown?

Well if the Military doesn't get their paycheck they will care. However, I think a deal will be made at the last minute... There will be a shutdown for a day or 2. I could be wrong.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 02:07:07 am »
Well if the Military doesn't get their paycheck they will care. However, I think a deal will be made at the last minute... There will be a shutdown for a day or 2. I could be wrong.

The WH just said on the off chance the senate votes for the house bill he will veto it, little Napoleon wants his own way and only his way, period.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 02:08:58 am »
The WH just said on the off chance the senate votes for the house bill he will veto it, little Napoleon wants his own way and only his way, period.

No he won't.  Not if the Senate votes for the House bill.  But the Senate is not going to do that.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 02:10:01 am »

Like I said guess who will get the blame if there is a shutdown and here is hint.. It won't be the little Napoleon. It will be the GOP who will cave..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 02:12:03 am »
Like I said guess who will get the blame if there is a shutdown and here is hint.. It won't be the little Napoleon. It will be the GOP who will cave..

I don't think so, not this time.  They caved to Obama on sequester and then they have been blamed for sequester from day one... it is a case of might as well do the right thing, you'll get the blame either way.

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 04:54:01 am »
House votes to fund the government for 2.5 mos. and delay ObamaCare for 12 mos. -- The House sent the legislation to the Democratic-run Senate early Sunday by 231-192.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 05:09:43 am by Rapunzel »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 04:54:43 am »
BTW the Senate is all sleeping in on Monday. Reid adjourned them until 2 p.m ET.