Author Topic: Corker takes on Cruz as GOP feuding moves to the Senate floor  (Read 2875 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Corker takes on Cruz as GOP feuding moves to the Senate floor
« on: September 26, 2013, 11:13:23 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/324977-corker-takes-on-cruz-as-gop-feud-moves-to-the-senate-floor

Corker takes on Cruz as GOP feuding moves to the Senate floor
By Alexander Bolton - 09/26/13 06:24 PM ET

Feuding in the Republican conference moved to the Senate floor on Thursday as Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) accused two colleagues of risking a government shutdown as a publicity stunt.

“The reason you don’t want to send a bill over to the House, who could possibly put in place some very good policies for us here, is that you want the American people and the outside groups that you’ve been in contact with to be able to watch us tomorrow,” Corker said to Sens. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Mike Lee (R-Utah), two Tea Party-affiliated lawmakers.

Corker accused Cruz and Lee of playing to the cameras after Lee balked at a request to accelerate the process for considering a stopgap spending bill that also would defund ObamaCare.

Cruz and Lee objected to ending debate on the bill because it would allow Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) to strip the ObamaCare language with a simple majority vote.

Corker argued for holding the vote Thursday evening so that Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) would have more time to respond to the Senate action. Boehner said earlier in the day that the House would not accept a government funding resolution without language defunding the Affordable Care Act.

“Is it more important to the senator from Texas and the senator from Utah that the people around the country watch this vote, or is it more important to us that we have a good policy outcome from our standpoint and actually have a body that has a majority of Republican to be able to react and send back something of good policy?” Corker said.

Andy Roth, the vice president of government affairs at Club for Growth, immediately blasted Corker for taking on Cruz.

“Sen. Corker effectively became a Democrat just now on the Senate floor,” he tweeted.

The Club for Growth has a long track record of spending hundreds of thousands of dollars against Republican incumbents it deems insufficiently conservative.

The Senate Democratic war room immediately released a transcript of the floor exchange, highlighting Corker’s comments.

Corker questioned Cruz’s and Lee’s motives by noting they voted to end debate on proceeding to the stopgap after speaking for 21 hours on the Senate floor in protest of the healthcare reform law and Reid’s plans to move the spending legislation.

A visibly irritated Cruz said he could not believe his ears.

“He must have made a misstatement when he moments ago suggested that those of us who participated in the filibuster the other day somehow changed our position,” he fumed. “The reason I know the senator from Tennessee is mistaken is because during the course of that filibuster, I explicitly stated I support the motion to proceed.”

Cruz said he stated last week that he would support the first vote on ending debate to proceed to the bill.

Cruz’s office released a statement defending his insistence on voting Friday midday instead of Thursday evening.

“Sen. Reid asked to waive the Senate rules to allow the vote to be moved to Thursday night, but it is better that the debate play out in the full light of day so the American people know exactly what is happening,” said Sean Rushton, Cruz’s communications director. “America will be watching closely which senators vote to allow Democrats to fully fund Obamacare, and the vote should be carried out in the open for all to see."

Reid has scheduled four votes beginning Friday at 12:30 pm.

One is on ending debate on the stopgap; the second is on waiving a budgetary objection to its funding level, which exceeds the Budget Control Act; the third is on an amendment stripping the defund-ObamaCare language; and the fourth is on final passage.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: Corker takes on Cruz as GOP feuding moves to the Senate floor
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 11:13:56 pm »
Corker is another RINO who needs to go.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 11:16:45 pm »

:amen: although there is at least one poster here who seems to prefer the likes of Corker over Ted Cruz! Why I cannot fathom!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 11:50:47 pm »

LOL!  Just fire everybody but Lee and Cruz.

This place has turned certifiable.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 12:06:20 am »
Just fire everybody but Lee and Cruz.

My goodness, totally unbelievable. He finally added something that wasn't insulting and was both quite rational and well thought out.

I didn't think he had it in him.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 12:09:39 am »
Just fire everybody but Lee and Cruz.

My goodness, totally unbelievable. He finally added something that wasn't insulting and was both quite rational and well thought out.

I didn't think he had it in him.

Why did  I know you'd be the first to jump offside on this post, thus proving my point?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 12:15:08 am »

Listen to this and tell me exactly what Senator Cruz says that you think isn't true!

https://soundcloud.com/senator-ted-cruz/sen-ted-cruz-on-the-mark-levin

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 12:17:06 am »

You love it, too.  Your Cruz hysteria makes me all misty-eyed and nostalgic for how you tore your hair out on FR over Ann Coulter, back in the day.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 12:17:44 am »
The only person making any sense is Cruz (listened to this interview Bigun)

Sadly, the GOP Strategy is:

1) Implement obamacare.
2) Sit back and watch while it destroys the economy and health care.
3)Hope to win an election.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 12:21:47 am »
You love it, too.  Your Cruz hysteria makes me all misty-eyed and nostalgic for how you tore your hair out on FR over Ann Coulter, back in the day.

And now you hate Coulter too, right? 

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 12:31:34 am »
:amen: although there is at least one poster here who seems to prefer the likes of Corker over Ted Cruz! Why I cannot fathom!

Where Corker, Coburn and others (not counting McCain he’s just plain crazy these days) lost their credibility was when they publicly attacked the only politicians willing to defund Obamacare. It would be one thing if Coburn or Corker took Cruz aside and said something along the lines of “Ted, you might want to re-think your strategy here” but NO! They found the nearest camera and went into attack mode.  And Remember Corker is one of the Gang of 8..... so that is a double whammy in my book.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 12:33:44 am »
No way Jose.   I love Ann. 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 12:56:34 am »
Where Corker, Coburn and others (not counting McCain he’s just plain crazy these days) lost their credibility was when they publicly attacked the only politicians willing to defund Obamacare. It would be one thing if Coburn or Corker took Cruz aside and said something along the lines of “Ted, you might want to re-think your strategy here” but NO! They found the nearest camera and went into attack mode.  And Remember Corker is one of the Gang of 8..... so that is a double whammy in my book.

For the last forty or more years I've heard republicans crying about politicians who say one thing to get elected and do another thing once elected. Now we have a guy (Ted Cruz) who is doing EXACTLY what he said he would do right down the line and republican leadership is apoplectic over it!

GEEEZE Louise! ENOUGH!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 02:00:07 am »
Sadly we are stuck with Corker and McCain until 2016.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 02:10:42 am »
This whole "defunding of Obamacare" is a misnomer. 

90% of Obamacare is mandatory spending, which continues regardless of any budgets passed or not passed by Congress.  Defunding would only affect about 10% of Obamacare, if it did pass. 

It's not going to because we don't have 67 votes to overturn a budget veto from Obama, even if the Senate passed the current CR.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 02:19:46 am »
This whole "defunding of Obamacare" is a misnomer. 

90% of Obamacare is mandatory spending, which continues regardless of any budgets passed or not passed by Congress.  Defunding would only affect about 10% of Obamacare, if it did pass. 

It's not going to because we don't have 67 votes to overturn a budget veto from Obama, even if the Senate passed the current CR.

If the house and senate send the pres a bill that would fund the government except for Obamacare and the pres vetoes it who will have shut down the government?

And BTW: In reality there is no such thing as MANDATORY spending.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 02:21:18 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline olde north church

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 12:55:40 pm »
The President has no line item veto or it's opposite.  The House does have control over what is in the budget.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.