Author Topic: Parents Who Backed Over Own Children Plan Federal Lawsuit  (Read 868 times)

Offline happyg

Parents Who Backed Over Own Children Plan Federal Lawsuit
« on: September 26, 2013, 03:28:50 pm »

By Joshua M. Patton, Wed, September 25, 2013

The death of a child is every parent’s worst nightmare, but what if the parent is the person who caused it?

Greg Gulbransen, a pediatrician from Oyster Bay, N.Y., knows exactly how that feels.

Gulbransen was moving his wife’s car, a BMW SUV, from a parking spot in the street and backing it into their driveway. According to a Houston Chronicle report, “[Gulbransen] checked his mirrors and put the vehicle in reverse ... He felt a slight bump on the right side of the SUV and stepped out and saw Cameron on the driveway in his blue pajamas holding his baby blanket.”

After the tragedy, Gulbransen reached out to KidsAndCars.org to champion for better visibility behind vehicles. Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.) introduced a bill in 2003 dubbed “Cameron’s Law,” which would have required safety standards that would hopefully reduce the likelihood of such accidents. The bill, however, never made it out of committee.

Eventually the Cameron Gulbransen Kids Transportation Safety Act was passed in 2007. The law gave transportation officials three years in which to issue regulations that would help reduce backovers. Ray LaHood, then-Transportation Secretary, used a power written into the law to announce delay after delay in implementing the rule that would require back-up cameras in all new cars by 2014.

After nearly three years of waiting, Gulbransen and other consumer advocates plan to sue the Federal government, specifically the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in the hopes of finally getting the law passed.

The federal organization recently released a recommendation to start listing backup cameras as recommended safety equipment, but for the advocates behind the lawsuit it isn’t nearly enough. Still, the government claims that it is taking its time to ensure the cost doesn’t outweigh the benefits.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/parents-who-backed-over-own-children-plan-federal-lawsuit#

Offline sinkspur

Re: Parents Who Backed Over Own Children Plan Federal Lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 03:47:05 pm »
Buttinskis can have the best of intentions, but are still buttinskis.

I don't need a back-up camera in my car as a way to assuage the guilt of this guy who killed his own kid.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline raml

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 05:12:55 pm »
That child's death looked more like parent neglect than anything the car did or didn't have. A child young enough to be carrying a blanket and in pajamas shouldn't have been outside without supervision. I am tired of people not taking responsibility for their actions and blaming it on whatever they think they can to try to take away any guilt they have sometimes a little guilt is good for you and keeps you from making the same mistake twice. I raised four kids when they were small I always knew where they were and was with them if they were outside..

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 05:34:45 pm »
A child young enough to be carrying a blanket and in pajamas shouldn't have been outside without supervision.
I quite agree.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org