Author Topic: Obama Administration Exempts American Indians from Obamacare Mandate  (Read 793 times)

Offline AbaraXas

• ?? ??????? ?????
  • Technical
  • Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The Obama administration on Wednesday broadened an exemption for American Indians from the new health care law's requirement that virtually every U.S. resident has health insurance starting next year.

New rules clarify that people who are eligible to receive medical care through the federal Indian Health Service will be exempt from the requirement to have health insurance or face fines from the Internal Revenue Service. The Indian Health Service, a division of U.S. Health and Human Services, oversees a network of clinics that are required through treaty obligations to serve all patients of Indian ancestry, even if they cannot document their federal tribal status.

"Today, we continue to fulfill our responsibility to consult and work with tribal communities," Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said in a statement.
- See more at: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/obama-administration-exempts-american-indians-obamacare-mandate#sthash.0p3GksgH.dpuf

Woo hoo, I found my exemption. (of course, I have to use Native American Health Services).

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: Obama Administration Exempts American Indians from Obamacare Mandate
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 09:30:08 PM »
People need to star suing left and right using the Equal Protection Clause.  The law should apply to everyone or no one. The Supreme Court just loves those kind of cases.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
    • Auktion Online
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 09:54:46 PM »
I guess this means Elizabeth Warren gets two exemptions: one for being in congress, and one for being a "Native American." 
"She only coughs when she lies."

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 10:12:04 PM »
I guess this means Elizabeth Warren gets two exemptions: one for being in congress, and one for being a "Native American." 

And a third for being a democrat, no doubt.

Back on topic, though:  this makes more sense than most of the politically-motivated exemptions he's been passing out like candy because there are treaties between the US and the various tribes that affect how this monstrous abortion of a law applies to native americans.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 10:13:40 PM by Oceander »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 10:16:33 PM »
Plus the Indians already have socialized medicine.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 10:29:55 PM »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 11:13:33 PM »
I'm a native American, too (born in Pennsylvania), but no exemptions for me!
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf