Author Topic: Sen. Durbin: 'good news'' that motel housekeeper is so poor she qualifies for medicaid under obamacare  (Read 1768 times)

rangerrebew

Sen. Durbin: 'Good News' That Motel Housekeeper Is So Poor She Qualifies for Medicaid Under Obamacare

September 25, 2013 - 11:18 AM

By Susan Jones

(CNSNews.com) - Questioning Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) on the Senate floor Tuesday, Sen. Dick Dubin, an Illinois Democrat, explained why he's proud to have voted for Obamacare.

He told the story of a chambermaid named Judy who works "at a motel that I often go to," and who will benefit from Obamacare because she is so poor: "The good news for Judy is that her income is so low that she now qualifies for Medicaid for the first time in her life," Durbin said.

Here's what Durbin said to Cruz:

One of the reasons that I voted for health care reform -- and am proud that I did -- was illustrated by a woman that I met in southern Illinois...this woman's name is Judy, and Judy is a housekeeper at a motel that I often go to, and we've become friends. Judy has worked her whole life in manual labor. She's been everything you can imagine -- cook, a waitress, housekeeper, all of these thing. She's 62 years old.

Judy told me that she'd never had health insurance one day in her life -- ever. She worked every single day that she could, but she never had health insurance.

It turns out that Judy was diabetic, and we found some doctors and hospitals locally in her area to give her some care.

We just had an announcement in Illinois that's going to be officially released tomorrow about what this new health insurance marketplace in Illinois means for people like Judy.

It means that we're going to offer 165 different health insurance plans in Illinois by 8 different insurers. The premiums -- at the lowest level of health insurance for those who aren't under Medicaid -- will be in the range of $84 a month.

But the good news for Judy is that her income is so low that she now qualifies for Medicaid for the first time in her life."

Sen. Cruz responded, "You tell the story of Judy. The best way for Judy or for anyone to have health insurance is to have an economy that is booming where people can get jobs and have opportunities."

Before Durbin interrupted with his story about Judy, Sen. Cruz was near the beginning of his marathon, all-night speech in which he urged Republicans to unite in support of defunding Obamacare.

"I can't convince my colleagues," he said. "The only people that can convince my colleagues on this side of the aisle or that side of the aisle are the people all of us work for -- the American people," Cruz said.

In another exchange between Cruz and Durbin on Wednesday morning, the example of Judy came up again as Durbin addressed criticism that some of the lowest-cost health insurance plans in the Obamacare exchanges limit the doctors and hospitals that patients can use.

Durbin asked Cruz to put himself in Judy's place: "If you're being told you have a limitation on doctors and hospitals that you can use, but you have health insurance, isn't that a dramatic improvement over a lifetime of no health insurance? That's what Obamacare is going to offer her for the first time in her life. To say that we shouldn't give her that opportunity is like someone saying, if you can't fly first class, you can't get on the airplane. Listen, a lot peole would be glad to sit back in economy if they can just make the trip that you and I can make beause we're blessed with health insurance."

Cruz said he supports health care reform that increases competition, increases free market alternatives, and lowers the rate of health insurance that is available to people by allowing interstate competition and creating a national marketplace.

But Cruz said he does't want government bureaucrats to get between patients and their doctors.

"You told the story of Judy, and I do think we should have reforms to address her circumstance," Cruz said. But he also noted that there are "thousands or millions of people" who are in danger of losing their health insurance right now because of Obamacare. "And they have to be balanced in this equation as well," he said.

Cruz said, "The Senator from Illinois made a reference to Judy not needing to be in first class, but being content to be in coach. You know, I think that analogy is a powerful one, but what it really highlights is the special exemption that's been put in place for members of Congress, because President Obama has put an exemption in place for members of Congress that says members of Congress can fly first class, to use your airline analogy -- but average Americans who are being forced onto exchanges where their employers can't subsidize their premiuims -- they're not even flying coach, they're being put in the baggage compartment."

..- See more at: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/sen-durbin-good-news-motel-housekeeper-so-poor-she-qualifies-medicaid-under#sthash.l1LADQSP.dpuf

THIS IS GOOD NEWS?:
[/size]banging:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 05:30:29 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline happyg

The housekeeper was already getting Medicaid.

Offline Rapunzel

Cruz told the story of when his father cane to Texas from Cuba...spoke no English at the time... started as a dishwasher... worked up to cook...went to college... learned English... got  job at IBM, etc.... He said imagine if a democrat had gotten hold of him.. said no need to learn English or go to school for an education ... we will take care of all your needs and give you a check, etc... all on the American taxpayers... He Saud imagine how different his life would have been...He added that, folks, is the difference between a progressive and a Conservative.  Conservatives applaud people trying to improve their lot in life... progressives are like Durbin.. They applaud mediocracy.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Cincinnatus

I do not want to appear indifferent to this woman's hardships but I do wish someone would do an indepth investigation of Durbin's story and find out what she did earlier in her life that brought her to this point. In fact, I would love to find out if there really is a "Judy" at all?
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I am sure there is a Judy...idiot Durbin kept mentioning poor Judy....well Judy must not be too bright either if she never had any kind of health insurance...if she has been poor all her life she has qualified for Medicaid in Il all her life then..all she had to do is sign up for it....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cincinnatus

I am sure there is a Judy

You have a great deal more faith in the decency and honesty of Dick Durbin than do I. I want proof.

Years ago there was some "homeless" guy in NYC touted as an example of why programs to help the homeless were so desperately needed. Later it was shown he was rather well off and had a very nice apartment (or condo) in Manhattan.

I distrust any of these anecdotal stories of human suffering when coming from Democrats, especially a Democrat hatchet man like Durbin.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

Cruz did a masterful job if shutting Durbin down when he started giving him tough questions, Durbin left rather than reply.

Offline GourmetDan

"But the good news for Judy is that her income is so low that she now qualifies for Medicaid for the first time in her life."

This is why Rats need to keep the poor, poor.

If they allow them to be successful and they have to start paying taxes, they will lose their political support...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline happyg

Cruz did a masterful job if shutting Durbin down when he started giving him tough questions, Durbin left rather than reply.

I watched until 2:30 am, and then watched between dozes. I did catch that, and was amazed that Cruz was so eloquent throughout the entire 21 hours. He never stammered, and was as alert the 21st hour as he was the 1st. And then, I listened to him on Rush. What a magnificent man!

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I am sure there is a Judy

You have a great deal more faith in the decency and honesty of Dick Durbin than do I. I want proof.

Years ago there was some "homeless" guy in NYC touted as an example of why programs to help the homeless were so desperately needed. Later it was shown he was rather well off and had a very nice apartment (or condo) in Manhattan.

I distrust any of these anecdotal stories of human suffering when coming from Democrats, especially a Democrat hatchet man like Durbin.

LOL...I don't trust Turbin Durbin.....when hubby came home from Iraq the first time Durbin was there to meet and greet...he stood where you practically had bump into..he was there to shake hands....my hubby put his hands in his pockets and walked by him...lol

Remind me to tell you when he was campaigning for re-election...lol
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Rapunzel

I watched until 2:30 am, and then watched between dozes. I did catch that, and was amazed that Cruz was so eloquent throughout the entire 21 hours. He never stammered, and was as alert the 21st hour as he was the 1st. And then, I listened to him on Rush. What a magnificent man!

I get Rush on a one-hour delay.. can't wait to hear Cruz.

rangerrebew

LOL...I don't trust Turbin Durbin.....when hubby came home from Iraq the first time Durbin was there to meet and greet...he stood where you practically had bump into..he was there to shake hands....my hubby put his hands in his pockets and walked by him...lol

Illinois certainly has a bevy of wonderful politicians, don't they? :thud: