Author Topic: Within Senate GOP, frustration with Cruz  (Read 8574 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Within Senate GOP, frustration with Cruz
« on: September 25, 2013, 12:50:06 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/budget/324413-within-senate-gop-frustration-with-cruz

Within Senate GOP, frustration with Cruz
By Erik Wasson and Peter Schroeder - 09/25/13 05:30 AM ET

A number of Sen. Ted Cruz's colleagues on Tuesday expressed frustration at the Texas Republican's tactics in the fight over ObamaCare and government funding.

As Cruz prepared to speak for hours on the Senate floor to try to delay work on the government-funding measure, many fellow GOP senators exited a conference meeting said they thought his strategy would backfire on their party.

“We have an obligation to govern and it does not make sense to link defunding ObamaCare, as much as I’d like to see that come about, with a measure that is essential to keep government funding,” said Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine.). “That includes vital money for the Department of Defense that pays our troops in harms way.

“I don’t think its good policy and good policy and good politics usually go together,” she said.

Sen. Mike Johanns (R-Neb.), who has previously criticized the strategy, said threatening a government shutdown was never a good tactic.

“To me it never seemed like an idea that was going to go far. It never seemed to me like it had a lot of possibilities. That doesn’t mean that it won’t get a lot of attention,” Johanns said. “The majority is the majority. That is the reality…there is a difference in being in the majority and being in the minority.”

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) convened a special all-conference meeting on Tuesday to try to unify his conference.

But during and after the meeting, Cruz and Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) indicated they intended to continue their effort to link ObamaCare's defunding to a government funding bill.

The two also indicated they would seek to delay Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's (D-Nev.) effort to strip the ObamaCare language from the bill and send a clean government-funding bill to the House.

McConnell had said it would be better to send the clean bill to the House soon, to give House Republicans more time to make a counter offer to the Senate.

Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.) said many members wanted to get on with the debate but Lee and Cruz were not listening.

“Digging in? No more than they have already,” he said.

Asked by a reporter if Republicans were unifying, Sen. Mike Crapo (R-Idaho) responded, "Um … that's a hard call."

Other senior members were plain in their discomfort with the shutdown brinksmanship.

"I went through that in '95. We had both houses of Congress, we balance the budget, I think three years in a row, and we just turned the country over to Democrats," said Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah). "That's what happened. They blamed the Republicans for doing that, and I suspect it would be a repeat of the same thing.

"We have to find a way of standing up for principles without immolating ourselves in front of everybody," he added.

Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) said members were worried that voting to block the House CR that defunds ObamaCare would be too difficult to explain to members of the public “who don’t understand or care to understand” Senate procedure.

“We are getting wrapped up in a whole lot of procedural things,” he said. “We’ll have procedural votes that will be very hard to explain.”

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Within Senate GOP, frustration with Cruz
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 01:03:44 pm »
Ted Cruz is the establishments worst nightmare and OUR champion!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 03:59:06 pm »
Is Hatch so out if touch he doesn't remember the GOP handed back the house and Senate because they started spending money like Democrats???
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 06:20:13 pm »
There is a revolution brewing within the GOP.  The left wing of the GOP is scarred to death and trying to subdue it as fast as possible.  One thing is for sure, the lines are sharply divided and no Congressman or woman can be on the sidelines.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 06:30:08 pm »
There is a revolution brewing within the GOP.  The left wing of the GOP is scarred to death and trying to subdue it as fast as possible.  One thing is for sure, the lines are sharply divided and no Congressman or woman can be on the sidelines.

There is no revolution brewing.  Even among Republicans, there is no stomach for shutting down the government.

Cruz and Lee are leading a very vocal minority within the GOP.    There will come a time when they need other Republican Senators to support some issue of theirs, and they won't get it.

Being called a Nazi enabler does tend to stick in one's craw for a while.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline happyg

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 06:34:02 pm »
Cruz and Lee are leading a very vocal minority within the GOP.    There will come a time when they need other Republican Senators to support some issue of theirs, and they won't get it.

That's typical of the RINOS! It's not about getting even, but doing what is right. Are you saying the republicans will do the wrong thing to get even with Cruz? I imagine they will because they consider him a young upstart who is rocking the boat. That's not good for their social club.

Offline evadR

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 07:20:37 pm »
I listened to Cruz on the opening segment of Rush today.
He is inspirational.
It is rare that I can have someone say EXACTLY the things that I feel and believe.

Ted Cruz is such a man.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 07:31:37 pm »
That's typical of the RINOS! It's not about getting even, but doing what is right. Are you saying the republicans will do the wrong thing to get even with Cruz? I imagine they will because they consider him a young upstart who is rocking the boat. That's not good for their social club.

No.  He will want something for Texas that nobody else cares about and they won't support him. 

You think it was OK for Cruz to liken Republicans to Nazi enablers?

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 07:33:15 pm »
No.  He will want something for Texas that nobody else cares about and they won't support him. 

YEP! I loved every word he said! He inspired me! :patriot:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 07:35:24 pm »

Same here.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 07:37:06 pm »

So calling those on your side who disagree with you over tactics Nazi enablers is OK.  Got it.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 07:38:47 pm »

Ted Cruz is a leader the likes of which we have not seen in a LONG time and YOU had better come to grips with that fact!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 07:41:20 pm »
So calling those on your side who disagree with you over tactics Nazi enablers is OK.  Got it.

I guess wacky birds would be better?

Of course those on the right cowering in the corner afraid of the big bad democrats/Nazis would be considered Nazi enablers to  me too!!! 

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline happyg

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 07:42:00 pm »
Ted Cruz is a leader the likes of which we have not seen in a LONG time and YOU had better come to grips with that fact!

:amen: The RINOS will be long gone, and Cruz and other conservatives will take their places. It's way past time to vote those suckers out.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 07:48:07 pm »

Here is what Cruz ACTUALLY said:

"“If you go to the 1940s, Nazi Germany... look, we saw in Britain, Neville Chamberlain, who told the British people, ‘Accept the Nazis. Yes, they’ll dominate the continent of Europe but that’s not our problem. Let’s appease them. Why? Because it can’t be done. We can’t possibly stand against them.’”

His point was not about Nazis. It was about the dangers of appeasement. He did not liken ANYONE to a "Nazi Enabler", so please knock it off, m'kay?
Besides, I've been called a "Nazi" so many times, I frankly don't give a shit if some Progressive GOP Ruling Class weenie's feelings were hurt. Boo-friggin'-hoo.  8888crybaby
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 07:48:39 pm »

If Ted Cruz expects to lead a disparate Republican party (as Ronald Reagan did), he'd better stop with the vitriol and trashing members of his own party.

The Democrats are the opposition.  Training fire on Republicans is counterproductive. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 07:51:14 pm »
His point was not about Nazis. It was about the dangers of appeasement. He did not liken ANYONE to a "Nazi Enabler", so please knock it off, m'kay?

The dangers of appeasement within the context of enabling the Nazis.  It's clear who Cruz thinks the enablers are.

Nice try.

Offline happyg

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 07:54:22 pm »
If Ted Cruz expects to lead a disparate Republican party (as Ronald Reagan did), he'd better stop with the vitriol and trashing members of his own party.

The Democrats are the opposition.  Training fire on Republicans is counterproductive.

Cruz doesn't trash anyone. He is the one being the target. And, you misread his Nazi remark.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 07:57:26 pm »

The dangers of appeasement within the context of enabling the Nazis.  It's clear who Cruz thinks the enablers are.

Nice try.

The "enablers" were not Nazis, they were Britons. Our allies and friends.

Nice try. But thanks for playing.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 08:01:50 pm »
The "enablers" were not Nazis, they were Britons. Our allies and friends.

Nice try. But thanks for playing.

Yes.  The Britons enabled the Nazis in WWII by appeasing them.  You don't know your history. 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 08:05:09 pm »
Yes.  The Britons enabled the Nazis in WWII by appeasing them.  You don't know your history.

No one has EVER won anything by appeasing the enemy! THAT is the point of Cruz's statement and YOU damned well know it. Enough!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline happyg

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 08:05:40 pm »
  Cruz was comparing those who argued against his style, particularly the MSM, to defund  Obamacare to those who were more than willing to appease the Nazis during World War II. And, he is right. The MSM appears more than willing to destroy this nation by following Obama's lead.

Offline evadR

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 08:22:36 pm »

Yup. They're worse than Nazi enablers.

Offline evadR

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 08:24:34 pm »

NOPE. Totally wrong.
Those enablers have ripped the heart and soul out of the Republican party to where it is no longer recognizable from a wing of the dimocrat party.
Time to take a stand.
The time is now.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 08:26:20 pm »

I'd say that you don't know yours: