Author Topic: Military Pay Would Be Delayed by Government Shutdown  (Read 1082 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Military Pay Would Be Delayed by Government Shutdown
« on: September 25, 2013, 12:31:14 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx?nodeid=527442

Military Pay Would Be Delayed by Government Shutdown
Tuesday, September 24, 2013 03:04 PM

By: Dan Weil

Members of the armed forces will stay on duty if the government shuts down, but they won't receive any paychecks until the government re-opens.

"They may not be paid on their regular payday," Pentagon press secretary George Little told reporters, according to The Hill.

But they would be paid after the shutdown, whereas civilian Defense Department employees who work during the shutdown wouldn't get paid without a "legislative fix" by Congress, Little said.

The government will shut down if Congress and the White House can't agree on a spending bill by Monday. The House approved a spending bill Friday. But it almost certainly won't pass the Senate, as it includes a defunding of the Affordable Care Act.

The Pentagon is still figuring out which civilian employees are essential and would thus work during a shutdown.

In 2011 when a shutdown appeared likely, the Defense Department planned for about half of its civilian workers to stay at home. The Pentagon is likely to follow that same plan this time around, The Hill reports.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline evadR

Re: Military Pay Would Be Delayed by Government Shutdown
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 01:49:03 pm »
Let me assure you this would never happen if George Bush was president,
but,
I understand,
It's STILL Bush's fault.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline dcskidd

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 03:23:16 pm »
I was in the service for a time back in the 70s-80s.  This happened more often than you might think. More than once we were given out paychecks but told we could not cash them until "Congress signed the bill". No new thing for the military, and it plays hell on families when the breadwinner is deployed.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 03:26:50 pm »
I was in the service for a time back in the 70s-80s.  This happened more often than you might think. More than once we were given out paychecks but told we could not cash them until "Congress signed the bill". No new thing for the military, and it plays hell on families when the breadwinner is deployed.

I remember those days....Oct 1 is payday and I have to pay bills....luckily I have money to cover them but a lot of military families live paycheck to paycheck...I feel sorry for those young families who are counting down the days to their trip to the commissary....been there done that!

btw Welcome to TBR
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 03:27:10 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Olivia

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 05:13:12 pm »
Obama would make sure a shut-down would affect those that need their checks the most.
Wouldn't it be great if the public turned on him for a change?
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline evadR

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 10:31:26 pm »
Obama would make sure a shut-down would affect those that need their checks the most.
Wouldn't it be great if the public turned on him for a change?
Exactly as he did with the sequester.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 10:41:27 pm »
Exactly as he did with the sequester.

If the public knew all the details they would...but the only here what the MSM tells them.
Support the USO