Author Topic: Pastors Urge Kirk To Support Slave Reparations Bill  (Read 2115 times)

Offline mrclose

Pastors Urge Kirk To Support Slave Reparations Bill
« on: September 24, 2013, 07:08:20 am »
There's that word again.

Always wanting something for nothing!

CHICAGO (CBS) — Senator Mark Kirk ruffled a lot of feathers with his recent plan to round up 18,000 gang members but a group of South Side pastors say they have a way for him to redeem himself: Help pass legislation to give African Americans reparation.

Rev. Anthony Williams of Freedom Community Church in Englewood says it’s something that’s long overdue.

“Jews got their reparations from the Holocaust, Japanese got their reparations from the internment. It is time for us to get our reparations,” said. Rev. Williams.

Rev. Joel Washington says they also want Kirk to fight to keep mental health facilities on the South Side open, make sure federal money gets in the right hands and hold congressional hearings on violence and to do something about the flow of guns.

“We get arms from outside the community. We don’t manufacture arms, we don’t manufacture the weapons,” said Rev. Washington.

The pastors urge Kirk and Congressman Bobby Rush to push for HR 40, a bill that would set up a study on making financial reparations to descendants of American slaves.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/09/02/pastors-urge-kirk-to-support-slave-reparations-bill/?utm_medium=VPH&utm_source=topvph_news&utm_campaign=486530
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline mrclose

Re: Pastors Urge Kirk To Support Slave Reparations Bill
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 07:50:24 am »
One of their 'unspoken' and historically buried problems is .. Sorting out the Black Slave Owners from the actual slaves! :shrug:

The Black Slave Owners who incidentally owned 'White' as well as Black slaves! :beer:
~ Self

Offline mrclose

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 09:30:24 am »
You'll notice that the Al Sharpton, J. Jackson talking points aren't even mentioned for the payout?

You know the ones .. "centuries of exploitation, discrimination, and disinvestment"?

NO-O-O .. It's for the threat of rounding up 'Thousands' of Gang Members and .. of course .. S-l-a-v-e-r-y!

~ Self

Offline Olivia

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 11:06:36 am »
 I can't say what I really want to say here so I'll just say we spend billions of dollars every year trying to keep this particular ethnic group happy and it's never enough.
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 12:23:33 pm »
I can't say what I really want to say here so I'll just say we spend billions of dollars every year trying to keep this particular ethnic group happy and it's never enough.

Indeed.  What this amounts to is just another welfare check, though considerably larger. 

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 12:31:17 pm »
"God damn America... the chickens are coming home to roost!"
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 01:44:33 pm »
My family got here [both sides] after 1900. We never owned a slave, or killed an Indian. And since MANY Americans got here around then too, I've got a news flash for the "Brothers". I don't owe you jack. The United States doesn't owe you jack. But if you want to play reparations, how about this:

We'll pay [pro rated for todays dollars] the value of slave labor before 1865. Exempted from the payout will be any Black who can't trace a direct line to a black enslaved until 1865.

In return, you will pay, accept a matching reduction from the reparations [and pay any sum not covered by such deduction] for: The cost of the U.S Navy's participation in the anti-slavery patrols before the Civil War, the cost of the Civil War from January 1st, 1863 [the implementation date of the Emancipation Proclamation] until its conclusion, the cost of Fedreal troops to enforce Reconstruction, the cost of the War on Poverty prorated for the percentage spent on Blacks, the costs of affirmative action [legal fees, etc]. We'll spot you the costs of incarcerating your more anti-social denizens, since that's good for us, too.

Sound good to you?  :smokin:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 01:49:38 pm »
Indeed.  What this amounts to is just another welfare check, though considerably larger.

And, like the smaller welfare check, this one will end up in the white man's pocket too...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Olivia

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 03:54:03 pm »
And, like the smaller welfare check, this one will end up in the white man's pocket too...

I don't understand what you mean by that??
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline happyg

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 04:47:52 pm »
Most Americans were against slavery. What about the northern families who had members die during the Civil War? There are also those who enjoined in interracial marriage since then. Do the white parts get reparations? And then, there is the problem of blacks owning slaves. Will both the slave owner and slave get our money?

We have been paying reparations since LBJ signed their checks.  Over fifty years with a free ride, and pastors want to give them more of what we don't have.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 05:06:30 pm »
I don't understand what you mean by that??

It's an old story.  If you take all the money away from the rich (whites) and give it to the poor (blacks), it won't take long before the rich figure out how to get the money back and the poor are poor again.

Wealth and poverty are cultural and behavioral effects.  Until the culture and the behavior change, the rich will always be rich and the poor will always be poor.

Look at the Asians.  They can arrive dirt-poor and become rich in one generation because of their culture and behavior.

The blacks will always be dirt-poor because of their culture and behavior, no matter how much money you give them.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 05:07:46 pm »
We have been paying reparations since LBJ signed their checks.  Over fifty years with a free ride, and pastors want to give them more of what we don't have.

Remember what LBJ said about his policies toward blacks.

It's all and only about using OPM to gain political power...

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 05:21:06 pm »
...a group of South Side pastors say they have a way for him to redeem himself: Help pass legislation to give African Americans reparation.

At last, a solid plan to end the violence in Chicago.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Olivia

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 05:46:39 pm »
At last, a solid plan to end the violence in Chicago.

They wouldn't go shopping with the money, they just gang up and steal what they want.
(Unless it was to buy guns)

Offline mrclose

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 10:07:44 pm »

Anthony Johnson

Anthony Johnson was believed to be the first Black to set foot on Virginia soil. 

He was the first black indentured servant, the first free black, and the first to establish the first black community, first black  landowner, first black slave owner, and the first person based on his court case to establish slavery legally in North America.  One could argue that he was the founder of slavery in Virginia.

In 1651 Anthony Johnson was given 250 acres as "head rights" for purchasing five incoming white redemptioners.

By July 1651 Johnson had five indentured servants of his own. In 1864, he brought a case before Virginia courts in which he contested a suit launched by one of his indentured servants, a Negro who adopted the name of John Casor.

Johnson won the suit and retained Casor as his servant for life, who thus became the first official and true slave in America.

In 1652 John Johnson, Anthony Johnson's eldest son, purchased eleven incoming white males and females, and received 550 acres adjacent to his father.

There were a number of additional Virginia land patents representing grants to free blacks of from fifty to 550 acres for purchasing white redemptioners.
~ Self

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 10:13:36 pm »
Interesting history, Mr Close, but I do perceive a small problem.

By July 1651 Johnson had five indentured servants of his own. In 1864, he brought a case before Virginia courts in which he contested a suit launched by one of his indentured servants, a Negro who adopted the name of John Casor.

I know in some cases it takes for years to get a hearing, but 203 years truly seems excessive.  :silly:
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline mrclose

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 11:27:17 pm »
Interesting history, Mr Close, but I do perceive a small problem.

I know in some cases it takes for years to get a hearing, but 203 years truly seems excessive.  :silly:
He lived a very long time?

Or I could have fat fingers and typed it wrong?

I like the long life excuse better! :beer:

The 1600 date was correct.
The dates should have been: 1651 and 1654.

Johnson was captured in his native Angola by an enemy tribe and sold to Arab slave traders. He was eventually sold as a slave or indentured servant to a merchant working for the Virginia Company.

The Virginia Muster (census) of 1624 lists his name as "Antonio not given" with "a Negro" written in the notes column and records that he had arrived in Virginia in 1621 aboard the James.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 03:20:30 am by mrclose »
~ Self