Author Topic: LIVE THREAD>>>>>Ted Cruz Talking Filibuster in progress  (Read 26882 times)

Offline flowers

« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 12:45:39 pm by mystery-ak »

Offline happyg

Re: Ted Cruz Talking Filibuster in progress
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 07:02:52 pm »
I am so proud of him. He is on C-SPAN2, for those who want to watch it uninterrupted.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 07:12:54 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/09/24/Cruz-Filibusters-I-Intend-to-Speak-in-Support-of-Defunding-Obamacare-Until-I-Am-No-Longer-Able-to-Stand

TED CRUZ LAUNCHES FILIBUSTER: 'I INTEND TO SPEAK...UNTIL I AM NO LONGER ABLE TO STAND'

by TONY LEE  24 Sep 2013, 11:53 AM PDT

On Tuesday, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) took to the Senate floor to begin a talking filibuster against the funding of Obamacare.

"I rise today in opposition to Obamacare," Cruz said. "I intend to speak in opposition to Obamacare. I intend to speak in support of defunding Obamacare until I am no longer able to stand."

Cruz said he will "do everything I can to help" Americans stand together against a Washington and "politicians in this body that are not listening to the people."

He said it was an honor to stand side-by-side with his colleague Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT), the architect of the defunding strategy, and said it was time to recognize that this "grand experiment" of Obamacare is not working. Cruz said it was time to "make D.C. listen" and said it was a point that he would make "over and over again."

On Monday, Cruz demanded a 60-vote threshold for any amendments to the House bill that funds the government except for Obamacare. He said politicians who vote for cloture would be voting to fund Obamacare.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 07:15:06 pm »
Godspeed Senator Cruz!   

Hope you can hear us cheering you on!!!!   :patriot:     

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 07:15:33 pm »
 :cheerlead: :cheerlead: :patriot:
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

famousdayandyear

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 07:15:56 pm »
Amazing--the Senate is virtually empty except for Cruz and the presider.

Offline happyg

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 07:16:03 pm »
Mark Levin has a running thread on the Ted Cruz filibuster on FB. He's my hero of the day, just like Rand was!

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 07:17:57 pm »
Is John McCain treating everyone to free beer? 

Offline happyg

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 07:20:59 pm »
Is John McCain treating everyone to free beer?

If so, it would be the run-off.  ^-^

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 07:22:52 pm »
Mark Levin has a running thread on the Ted Cruz filibuster on FB. He's my hero of the day, just like Rand was!

I will need to listen to Levin tonite.  Should be interesting.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 07:24:13 pm »
How do we let Cruz know we're listening and support him????

Offline flowers

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 07:28:58 pm »
Forgive me for my lack of knowledge on this. BUT by doing this what is he stopping?doing?

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 07:39:41 pm »
Mike Lee is tag-teaming, giving Cruz a bit of a break .....

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 07:40:00 pm »
Forgive me for my lack of knowledge on this. BUT by doing this what is he stopping?doing?

It is explained in a Redstate article I posted last night. He wants to stop cloture which requires 60 votes because Reid will use a lot of tricks if he gets cloture to strip out the defunding of Obamacare and insert what HE wants in the bill and then pass with 51 votes and send back to Boehner to pass in the House.  It gets a little complicated, but he is actually fillibustering a bill he supports to stop it from passing cloture because we have turncoat GOP senators who will not vote against cloture.. if all 46 stood firm against cloture - as they did the initial passage of Obamacare then this fillibuster would not be necessary... they would then be able to force Reid - in the Senate - to make concessions in order to pass cloture and thus a vote.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 07:40:40 pm by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 07:49:16 pm »
What he is doing is trying to convince at least 67 total Senators, including all 46 Republicans and 21 Democrats, to form a veto proof majority.

Then we also must move to the veto proof House majority, which we also don't have and won't reach.

(Regardless of the intermediate machinations, Obama would veto something he doesn't want.)

In reality it is all just drama in hope of forcing the dems to negotiate. To postpone ObamaCare, or cutback significantly.

But dems will not abandon Obama.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 07:56:03 pm »
From National Review Online:

"UPDATE: 3:30 p.m. A technicality: as cloture has already been filed, Cruz will be speaking for a maximum of fifteen hours. Senate rules dictate that the body must adjourn by noon on Wednesday. This will likely be a long speech, but it cannot block legislation."

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 08:35:38 pm »
So far Lee and Vitter have shown up to spell him a bit.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 08:44:24 pm »
Love hearing Cruz talk about how his father learned to speak English. 

Reminds me, the guy who came in yesterday to look at replacing some molding in my house is Mexican (LEGAL as he stressed to me) and speaks good English. Was talking about his son in school and how he not only is learning "good" English but they speak English and Spanish at home so his son doesn't lose his ability to speak Spanish, but (he said) his son is teaching him to speak "proper" English (which is he very proud about).... 

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 08:47:01 pm »

Donald J. TrumpVerified account ‏@realDonaldTrump

It’s a shame the ruling class of Republicans don’t attack Obama and the Democrats the way they hit Senators Cruz & Lee.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 08:50:00 pm »
GOP.com

Carolyn,
In a fight between Harry Reid and Ted Cruz, I will stand with Ted Cruz any day.

Today, Senator Cruz has taken the fight to defund ObamaCare to the Senate floor. I hope you will join me in standing with him in solidarity.

As Republicans, we must remain true to our principles and fight to protect the American people from this reckless law.

55% of Americans disapprove of the manner in which ObamaCare is being implemented, yet Harry Reid and Senate Democrats continue to defend it, even at the expense of keeping the government running.

Harry Reid may think ObamaCare "has been wonderful for America." But the facts are on our side – ObamaCare is costing Americans higher taxes, fewer jobs, and less access to care.

Join me and stand with Ted today. Sign our pledge and tell Harry Reid to defund ObamaCare immediately!

Reince Priebus

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 08:50:21 pm »
Donald J. TrumpVerified account ‏@realDonaldTrump

It’s a shame the ruling class of Republicans don’t attack Obama and the Democrats the way they hit Senators Cruz & Lee.

Hey, Donald.  It's a shame Ted Cruz spent the last two weeks trashing Republicans instead of working with them to do something that might actually succeed.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 08:53:15 pm »
BREAKING - The RNC has publicly backed @sentedcruz and his attempt on filibuster of Obamacare

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 08:55:00 pm »
BREAKING - The RNC has publicly backed @sentedcruz and his attempt on filibuster of Obamacare

Twitter and Facebook is going crazy with supporting posts....

Offline ABX

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 08:55:05 pm »
What he is doing is trying to convince at least 67 total Senators, including all 46 Republicans and 21 Democrats, to form a veto proof majority.

1. Shaming them and calling out how they operate would be criminal if they weren't in the Senate.
2. Appealing directly to the people.
3. Reminding them they answer to the people and calling them out on their elitist attitude.

History is going to play out who was right and wrong on this and hopefully people will remember.

Offline ABX

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2013, 08:56:00 pm »
From my friend and Congressman Louie Gohmert on Facebook.

Louie Gohmert
If you have lost your insurance because of Obamacare, let me know. If you have experienced a reduction in your work hours because of Obamacare, I want to hear from you. If your doctor has retired or said that they will simply stop practicing medicine altogether because of Obamacare, write to me at Obamacare@mail.house.gov