Author Topic: Facing suit from Craigslist, man bets company on Seahawks victory  (Read 1392 times)

Offline NavyCanDo

Facing suit from Craigslist, man bets company on Seahawks victory
« on: September 21, 2013, 06:53:22 pm »
SEATTLE - A local business owner is putting a lot of stock in the Seahawks' next game against the San Francisco 49ers. In fact, Mike Hanson is so confident in the team he's willing to bet his business on it - literally.

"I figured the San Francisco 49ers versus the Seahawks is a good way to go out and go out swinging," Hanson says.

Hanson owns Craigstruck.com, a Seattle-based company that connects people who need a truck with someone who has one so they can pick up and/or deliver items they bought off Craigslist.org, the San Francisco-based classifieds website. And therein lies the problem; Hanson says Craigslist is suing him for trademark infringement.

"Lawyers tell me, 'You have a great case, but you have no money,'" Hanson says.

The reaction shared by certain 49er fans after last Sunday's loss at CenturyLink got the Seattle business owner thinking, and he decided to go public to present his case.

"There is another battle between Seattle and San Francisco you might not know about; that's Craigslist.org - the nonprofit - versus Craigstruck.com - that's me," Hanson says in a video he made and recently posted on YouTube.

Hanson started his truck business four years ago. He says everything was going along fine until he received a registered trademark for his company, and that's when he started getting cease and desist letters from Craigslist.

"I worked really hard to get the phone number, the domain," Hanson says.

Then in April Hanson says Craigslist upped the ante, filing a lawsuit against him.

"This is about who has the most money, and whoever runs out of resources loses," Hanson says. "And that's going to be me."

But he isn't about to go down without a fight, or in this case, a bet - and a big one at that. Hanson says he will hand over everything, his trademark, his company's phone number, even the Craigstruck shirt he wore in his YouTube video, if the Seahawks lose to the 49ers on Dec. 8 at Candlestick Park.

"If the Hawks come down to San Francisco and beat the Niners, you drop the lawsuit," Hanson says in his video. "You also have to fly me to San Francisco and take me to dinner."

So far, Hanson has not heard back from any Craigslist bosses or lawyers. We also tried contacting Craigslist about the bet and have not heard anything.

He says if they don't take him up on the sports wager he will be in San Francisco in February for scheduled mediation.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Facing-suit-from-Craigslist-man-bets-company-on-Seahawks-victory-224483261.html
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: Facing suit from Craigslist, man bets company on Seahawks victory
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 06:59:33 pm »
The headline is not accurate – and why should be surprised anymore?   He is betting his trademark name not the business.

And pretty smart I think.   Here I am in the Seattle area and I never heard of his business. I have now. Lots of people supporting a fight between the little guy vs. the big guys will be calling him for the first time. Win or lose his customer base grows.

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 07:00:37 pm »
Well at least it’s more exciting than the silly ass bets Mayors do. Goes something like this – “I’ll bet you 25 lbs. of Seattle Smoked Salmon to your 25 lbs. of Bay Area Albacore. Oh! and we have to wear the other teams jersey for a day.

Now here is a bet worth taking. If the 49rs lose SF MUST stop sending your mentally ill homeless north to Seattle. And if the Seahawks loses, Starbucks will add a second mermaid to their logo both female and married to each other.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 07:01:04 pm »
I agree with the owners of Craigslist.  It's infringement.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 07:15:57 pm »
I agree with the owners of Craigslist.  It's infringement.

I would agree. If his name was Craig maybe he would have an argument, but his sole purpose of choosing the name was to capitalize on the popularity of the Craigslist franchise.

I hope the Seahawks Win in SF and win Big! and this guy still has to change his name.    Here is a suggestion, maybe, Startrucks,  no that won't work.   

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 08:25:09 pm »
Well at least it’s more exciting than the silly ass bets Mayors do. Goes something like this – “I’ll bet you 25 lbs. of Seattle Smoked Salmon to your 25 lbs. of Bay Area Albacore. Oh! and we have to wear the other teams jersey for a day.

Now here is a bet worth taking. If the 49rs lose SF MUST stop sending your mentally ill homeless north to Seattle. And if the Seahawks loses, Starbucks will add a second mermaid to their logo both female and married to each other.
:beer:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 09:46:54 pm »
It may or may not be infringement but it strikes me what he does is in the interest of Craigslist and they might consider working with the guy instead of seeking ways to deprive him of business. Poor public relations, you ask me. Lots of people supporting a fight between the little guy vs. the big guys will be calling him for the first time.

Hanson owns Craigstruck.com, a Seattle-based company that connects people who need a truck with someone who has one so they can pick up and/or deliver items they bought off Craigslist.org,
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams