Author Topic: Why I (Cincinnatus) favor any move to defund ObamaCare, including, if necessary, filibuster  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

I have carefully followed all the arguments pro and con on this subject and while I agree the naysayers have made some legitimate points, those are far outweighed by the reasons to oppose it.

(1) Simply put, how about because defunding ObamaCare is the right thing to do? We Conservatives either stand for fiscal responsibility and less government or we stand for nothing. ObamaCare is a massive government power grab and on that basis alone ought be opposed. But there's more.

(2) The American people don't want it. I don't know of any opinion poll which shows the people of America want this thing but plenty of them which show they don't. Whom do we represent? The American people or Obama? Let the Democrats claim the latter position, not us.

(3) Defunding ObamaCare is perfectly Constitutional as the power of the purse lies with Congress. ObamaCare is not Constitutional as it  violates the "equal protection" clause. It is arbitrarily applied and provides exemptions to some based on the will of one man, Obama (the essence of tyranny). Even today on this Forum there is a thread showing how a favored religious group, Muslims, will not be subject to this law while ProLife Christians are even allowed to opt out just from one provision: abortion. (ObamaCare’s Muslim Exemption )

(4) Proposed measures do NOT defund government. They provide full operational funding minus the funds for ObamaCare. If the government shuts down due to Democrat intransigence on that issue that will be on their heads, not ours. Now I realize that no matter how that plays out the MSM will do all in its power to blame any shutdown on Republicans, but we will NEVER get fair or honest treatment from that quarter, so we may as well earn it by doing what is right. Besides, as Rapunzel has shown and cogently argued, the last shutdown actually didn't hurt us all that much, save in the fervid imaginations of the pusillanimous.

(5) If a measure to defund is approved by the House then the Senate will have to vote on it. Yes, they may turn it down but that will put on the Democrats on record as being in favor of an unpopular issue just in time for the 2014 elections. There are 21 US Senate seats up for re-election in 2014 that are currently held by Democrats, with more than half of those being vulnerable. The 21 either vote with Obama/Reid or leave themselves open for harsh criticism come 2014.

(6) If ObamaCare survives this session of Congress we may never get rid it because of the way it's designed. You naysayers, if you are not willing to fight this battle, where will you draw your (real) red line? Is there any principle at all for which you will say, this far and no further? It certainly appears that there isn't.

Comments are welcome, thank you.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline sinkspur

Defunding won't pass the Senate, and the House will have to pass a CR with funding for Obamacare in it.

That is the reality. 

This entire exercise is fruitless.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

famousdayandyear

Defunding won't pass the Senate, and the House will have to pass a CR with funding for Obamacare in it.

That is the reality. 

This entire exercise is fruitless.

For what reason(s) is this "exercise" -- I call it debate/discussion/dialogue--fruitless?
Please be more specific than "won't pass the Senate" which is conjecture.  Thanks in advance.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I'm with you Cincy.  You are correct on ALL points!  Obamacare will never be repealed once it is in force - they'll tweak it from time to time - but it will be the bane of our economy.  As far as I am concerned, this is our last chance to fight it.

If not now...for God's sake - when?
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

famousdayandyear

Sinkspur:  What if Harry Reid has a stroke?  Or Richard Trumpka and the Unions raise holy hell with the Dems?  Or (gasp) the National Education Association? Or the jihadis (dressed as Code Pink) suicide bomb the Capitol?  More scenarios to come.  It's late.

Offline Rapunzel

Hear Hear, Cinc...

Imagine if the founders of this great nation said it was just too hard to break away from King George and form our own nation... they could have just rolled over and paid the piper.. thank God they all had spines...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mountaineer

Hear Hear, Cinc...

Imagine if the founders of this great nation said it was just too hard to break away from King George and form our own nation... they could have just rolled over and paid the piper.. thank God they all had spines...
That's pretty much where we are today.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Olivia

That's pretty much where we are today.

If the republican senators would stand up and fight, it might shake up the news cycle to get more people interested. 
The republican Congress should not fund it , regardless of how the democrat senators vote.
Isn't that the way it's done by the other side?  Do what you want and to hell with the law?
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline happyg

If the republican senators would stand up and fight, it might shake up the news cycle to get more people interested. 
The republican Congress should not fund it , regardless of how the democrat senators vote.
Isn't that the way it's done by the other side?  Do what you want and to hell with the law?

Sounds good to me. Sometimes, it takes a lot of strength to do the right thing. Too often, we have settled for less than what could be, and then, it comes back to bite us.