Author Topic: Transgender man wins complaint against bridal shop for not letting him try on wedding dress  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

SASKATOON, September 19, 2013 (LifeSiteNews.com) - The Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission announced that a mediated settlement has been reached between the owner of a Saskatoon bridal shop and a man who presents himself as a woman.

Rohit Singh, a student from India who came to Canada in 2010, filed a complaint against Jenny’s Bridal Boutique after the owner of the shop refused to allow him access to the women's changing room

When Singh selected a dress and wanted to try it on, shop owner Jenny Correia refused him, saying "I don’t allow men to wear dresses in my store.’’

Singh retorted, “I’m not a man, I’m a transgender and my sex-change procedure is going on,’’ according to media reports of the incident that happened on April 21.

The owner believed allowing a man to try on dresses would make female customers in the shop uncomfortable.

Despite media backlash, Correia stood by her statement in defense of the other women shopping in her store.

"To me it doesn't matter," Correia said, according to CBC News. "He looked like a man. There were quite a few brides in the store. If you see a man trying on dresses, you're going to feel uncomfortable."

The Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission ruled that Correia violated Singh's rights under Section 12 of The Saskatchewan Human Rights Code "by denying a transgender woman service."

According to the Human Rights Commission mediated settlement, Jenny Correia "agreed to provide a personal financial contribution to two local charities" of a total of $1,000.

The Saskatoon StarPhoenix reported that Singh Peace stipulated that Correia give the "Avenue Community Centre for Gender and Sexual Diversity" and "AIDS Saskatoon" $500 each.

He also demanded that Correia apologize to him publicly in front of the media, but reportedly accepted a written apology instead.

“I am quite happy with the settlement,’’ said Singh, who is now known as Rohit Singh Peace after his "marriage" to his "fiancé" Colin Peace. “I don’t think any other business will do this again.’’

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/transgender-man-wins-complaint-against-bridal-shop-for-not-letting-him-try

The blushing, uh, bride. Yeah, that's it: bride.

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Rapunzel

ugly with a capital U
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mountaineer

The bride wore a 5 o'clock shadow with her lovely satin wedding dress.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline R4 TrumPence

For some reason that guy made me think of this pic from the movie Con Air... :silly: :silly:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Oceander

Ugh.  All around.