Author Topic: Ex-heavyweight champ [Ken] Norton dies  (Read 886 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Ex-heavyweight champ [Ken] Norton dies
« on: September 19, 2013, 03:29:29 am »
Ex-heavyweight champ Norton dies

LAS VEGAS (AP)

He was the second man to beat Muhammad Ali, breaking Ali's jaw and sending him to the hospital in their 1973 heavyweight fight.

Ken Norton frustrated Ali three times in all, including their final bout at Yankee Stadium where he was sure he had beaten him once again.

Norton, who died Wednesday at the age of 70, lost that fight for the heavyweight title. But he was forever linked to Ali for the 39 rounds they fought over three fights, with very little separating one man from the other in the ring.

"Kenny was a good, good fighter. He beat a lot of guys," said Ed Schuyler Jr., who covered many of Norton's fights for The Associated Press. "He gave Ali fits because Ali let him fight coming forward instead of making him back up.

more at:  http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/ken-norton-former-heavyweight-champion-dies-091813

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

famousdayandyear

Re: Ex-heavyweight champ [Ken] Norton dies
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 03:31:02 am »
RIP Ken Norton.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 03:36:32 am »
yeah....Apollo Creed of the Rocky movies always made me think of Ken Norton.

Good looking, charming and cocky.....who broke Cassius Clay's jaw. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

famousdayandyear

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 01:35:48 pm »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 04:42:31 am »
Stopped paying attention to boxing long ago. Pay per view killed it for me.    I cherish those days of sitting around a radio [yes the radio] with my Dad listening to fights with names like Foreman, Frazier, Ali, Duran, Norton.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

famousdayandyear

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 02:07:17 pm »
Stopped paying attention to boxing long ago. Pay per view killed it for me.    I cherish those days of sitting around a radio [yes the radio] with my Dad listening to fights with names like Foreman, Frazier, Ali, Duran, Norton.   

Growing up I used to watch the Pabst Blue Ribbon Friday Night Fights with my dad.  One favorite was Kid Gavilan who originated the "bolo" punch.  He passed in 2003 I believe.