Author Topic: ACC chief: A-10 fleet a likely target of budget cuts  (Read 1164 times)

famousdayandyear

ACC chief: A-10 fleet a likely target of budget cuts
« on: September 18, 2013, 03:13:18 am »

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20130917/NEWS04/309170038?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

ACC chief: A-10 fleet a likely target of budget cuts

The A-10 will likely see its last flight if sequestration continues, the chief of Air Combat Command said today.

The Air Force will be forced to look at cutting single-mission aircraft under continuing budget cuts because more savings will be realized by ending the full weapon system, including infrastructure and training, as opposed to cutting just squadrons. With the F-35 coming online to take over the close-air support role, the venerable Thunderbolt II will be a likely target, Gen. Mike Hostage told reporters at the Air Force Association's Air and Space Conference.

“This is not something I want to do,” Hostage said, explaining that no decisions had been made.

Hostage said he had already talked to Army officials about losing the A-10 and using other jets to take over the close-air support role. The Army was “not happy” about the possibility, Hostage said.

“I will not lose what we have gained in how we learned to support the Army,” Hostage said. “I had to make sure the Army understood that I am not backing away from the mission.”

Hostage said the service can do the close-air support role with the F-35, but it would be more expensive and “not as impressive” without the famous GAU-8 Avenger 30 millimeter gun.

“In a perfect world, I would have 1,000 A-10s,” Hostage said. “I can’t afford it. I can’t afford the fleet I have now. If I cut the fleet in half, do I save enough to get through this problem?

“My view is, while I don’t want to do it, I would rather lose the entire fleet and save everything I do in the infrastructure.”

Hostage’s comments follow similar statements from both acting Secretary of the Air Force Eric Fanning and Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Welsh that single-mission aircraft would need to be cut if budgets continue to decrease.

“If we go into [fiscal year 2014] with sequestration still in effect, and we need to achieve those savings, you have to look at cuts,” Fanning said Monday. “You can’t get your money out of installations because they won’t support [base realignment and closure]. You can’t get money out of people fast enough. It takes about a year to get savings out of people."

famousdayandyear

Re: ACC chief: A-10 fleet a likely target of budget cuts
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 03:14:21 am »
Oh Noes.  Don't do this.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 11:35:36 pm »
Cutting the A-10 is suicide, which is exactly why they'll do it.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 04:20:43 am »
The PTB's have been pushing this for years in favor of fast-movers. In my time, they were trying to push F16's into that role, even though they only had a relatively ineffective 20mm gun. We have to face it, A10 airframes are old, and new ones aren't being produced.

Truthfully, there's no better sound than turbofans whining overhead and that BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR sound of the gatling gun taking out a target when you're in trouble.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 04:44:44 am »
The PTB's have been pushing this for years in favor of fast-movers. In my time, they were trying to push F16's into that role, even though they only had a relatively ineffective 20mm gun. We have to face it, A10 airframes are old, and new ones aren't being produced.

Truthfully, there's no better sound than turbofans whining overhead and that BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR sound of the gatling gun taking out a target when you're in trouble.

Used to live just a couple miles north of an A-10 base in SC (before they closed it).  The A-10 is beautiful, just bee u tee full.  I loved to see them fly out and back in all day long.
A wonderful rugged airplane built around a big ole gatling gun; she will not be intimidated.  Here in a flash; shoot up the place; and gone.  What are they gonna do for CAS without the A-10?

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 02:56:32 am »
  What are they gonna do for CAS without the A-10?

Jet jockeys seem to think that fast movers like the F16 and F18 can do the job just as effectively. The problem is that doctrine has them dropping ordnance from 10,000ft.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.