Author Topic: Aerial shot reveals how doomed Costa Concordia has been rolled upright after £500million salvage operation, allowing divers to begin the grim task of hunting for the missing two bodies  (Read 1265 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2421734/Costa-Concordia-emerges-sea-19-hour-salvage-battle.html

These dramatic images from space today shed new light on the biggest ever salvage operation of a passenger ship - an epic effort that took 19 hours.

And the aerial photographs from the Astrium satellite were released as the hunt for the last two missing Costa Concordia passengers got underway.

Salvage officials believe the bodies of waiter Russel Rebello and passenger Maria Grazia Trecarichi could be found in a lifeboat beneath the ship’s hull.

It was hoped remains would become visible as the complex system of cables and hydraulics hauled the vessel - on which 32 l

Some great photos at link

Offline flowers

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 03:46:51 pm by flowers »

famousdayandyear

Total human ingenuity and creativity as expressed herein.  What a triumph of engineering!  Love those guys who accomplished this amazing feat--in just 19 hours.  Now they can finally search for those that may remain in the formerly submerged sections.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"Grim task" my foot.  The bodies have been a source of fish food since the incident.

They are however, going to be very busy hunting for abandoned valuables of the passengers.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

"Grim task" my foot.  The bodies have been a source of fish food since the incident.

They are however, going to be very busy hunting for abandoned valuables of the passengers.

Not necessarily.  They just found the body of someone who drowned in 2007 at Lake Powell... I would have thought the fish and being submerged that long it would be hopeless.  The missing on this ship might well be where they were inside the ship and are still identifiable.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline flowers

I never thought of that. I was wondering as well if the remains have been fish food all this time. That one woman went back to the cabin to get a sweater or something because she was cold. Insane.  For me ship sinking, cold get off ship first. The other guy sounds like he was a true hero. Giving his lifejacket to someone.

famousdayandyear