Author Topic: Unbelievable Skeletons Unearthed From The Catacombs Of Rome  (Read 2050 times)

Offline happyg

Unbelievable Skeletons Unearthed From The Catacombs Of Rome
« on: September 13, 2013, 04:15:41 pm »
Back in 1578 came the fascinating discovery of a network of labyrinthine tombs, lurking deep beneath the street of Rome. The tombs were home to the decayed skeletons of early Christian martyrs – believed to be saints on account of their bravery & unwavering support of Christian beliefs.

Many of these skeletons (given the name ‘The Catacomb Saints’ by those who first discovered them) were then distributed across Europe (predominantly Germany) as replacements for the countless holy relics which had been smashed, stolen or destroyed during the Protestant Reformation.

Once delivered, each skeleton was then clothed and adorned into a variety of precious jewels, expensive cloth, crowns, armour and even given wigs. They were put on display inside their designated churches as a reminder to all who visited, for the riches and wealth that awaited them post death – providing they swore allegiance to the Christian faith.

It sounds like a tale straight from a Dan Brown novel doesn’t it? Yet it’s all factually accurate.

So fascinated by the discovery and indeed the story behind ‘The Catacomb Saints’ art historian (and self-confessed relic hunter) Paul Koudounaris travelled all over Europe trying to find and document the status of each Saint. Amazingly many of the skeletons were yet to be put on display, still stored in containers waiting to be dressed and revealed to the public.

His book Heavenly Bodies: Cult Treasures and Spectacular Saints from the Catacombs looks at the gripping origins and history of ‘The Catacomb Saints’, posing such as questions as who were they? How exactly did they die? Who ordered them to be placed in the catacombs? And why had they laid forgotten in Europe’s religious institutions for so long?

His work serves as a compelling documentation of some of the most elaborate & forgotten relics from a by-gone era. Below are a few photographs from the book itself, which you can purchase right here

More pictures at link: http://sobadsogood.com/2013/09/09/heavenly-bodies-cult-treasures-and-spectacular-saints-from-the-catacombs-by-paul-koudounaris/

Offline flowers

Re: Unbelievable Skeletons Unearthed From The Catacombs Of Rome
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 04:19:12 pm »
What a awesome article happyg!  I sure didn't expect to see that when I clicked on this post.

Offline happyg

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 04:27:07 pm »
What a awesome article happyg!  I sure didn't expect to see that when I clicked on this post.

I didn't, either. All those jewels could get Italy out of debt!!!  :silly:

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 04:40:27 pm »
I didn't, either. All those jewels could get Italy out of debt!!!  :silly:
How did you even find that article?

Offline happyg

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 04:56:57 pm »
How did you even find that article?

Face Book! A friend posted it.

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 06:13:18 pm »
Face Book! A friend posted it.
Ahh the evil facebook!!!  :laugh:

Offline happyg

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 06:29:29 pm »
Ahh the evil facebook!!!  :laugh:

It's according to how you use FB that makes it evil or good. I use it mostly for politics. My FB page is almost like a forum, only the news comes to me.  :silly:

Offline flowers

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 06:35:36 pm »
It's according to how you use FB that makes it evil or good. I use it mostly for politics. My FB page is almost like a forum, only the news comes to me.  :silly:
I use it only for the grandson photos.

Offline happyg

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 06:49:10 pm »
I use it only for the grandson photos.

I have lots of them, too. ^-^

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 03:20:33 am »
a little bizarre, no?