Author Topic: Furyk records a 59 at the BMW Championship  (Read 342 times)

Online pjohns

Furyk records a 59 at the BMW Championship
« on: September 13, 2013, 09:37:37 PM »
It briefly appeared that Jim Furyk's bid for an incredible round of 59--a score that had been shot only five times previously on the PGA Tour, throughout the years--had been derailed by a bogey on the fifth hole (Furyk's fourteenth hole of the day, since he had started on the back side).

A terrific approach shot on the eighteenth hole, however, setup a birdie for the veteran golfer, giving him a very respectable 31 on the second nine, to go with the scintillating 28 on the first nine--and a 59 total.

Note:  If not for the lone bogey, Furyk might have shot a 58; which would have been the first time in PGA history for such an astoundingly low score.  True, that score has been achieved at the professional level previously, in tournament play--it happened in Japan just over a year ago--but never before on the PGA Tour.

Offline evadR²

Re: Furyk records a 59 at the BMW Championship
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 10:16:57 PM »
Historic..
Furyk's is the 6th in PGA Tour history.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 10:31:03 AM »
Annika Sorenstam shot a 59 in LPGA competition, too.

We were watching Furyk's final hole yesterday and cheering greatly. What a great day for him.
The skeptic is never for real. There he stands, cocktail in hand, left arm draped languorously on one end of the mantelpiece, telling you that he can't be sure of anything, not even of his own existence. I'll give you my secret method of demolishing universal skepticism in four words. Whisper to him: "Your fly is open." If he thinks knowledge is so all-fired impossible, why does he always look? — James Sire (from, The Universe Next Door)

Online pjohns

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 12:06:32 PM »
Annika Sorenstam shot a 59 in LPGA competition, too.

Yes, I remember watching that on TV also.

Annika was, for over a decade, the best player on the LPGA Tour. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf