Author Topic: OBLIVION - Great...or Goofy?  (Read 4072 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: OBLIVION - Great...or Goofy?
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2013, 09:04:32 pm »

But what I really don't get is she finds some of the best classics immposible to watch, like The African Queen,  It's a Wonderful Life, Mr. Roberts. She finds them boring.....

That's what happens when you "rob the cradle" in your selection for a wife!    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2013, 09:33:15 pm »
Give me the classics any day of the week. The fast cut action sequences and CGI in contemporary films loose me. Modern audiences want this but character development often takes a back seat, making the film seem like it's all sound and fury without any deeper substance.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2013, 09:40:36 pm »
Give me the classics any day of the week. The fast cut action sequences and CGI in contemporary films loose me. Modern audiences want this but character development often takes a back seat, making the film seem like it's all sound and fury without any deeper substance.

I would rather watch a John Wayne re-run.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2013, 10:03:04 pm »
All you guyz are making me laugh......

Just love it when you see somebody compares any movie to Gone with the Wind...or Citizen Kane.

Same crap attitude you run into when you hear people say..."Oh, I don't watch much television....cept PBS or maybe the Science Channel.   LOL!

BULLETIN!!    This thread is meant to try to get an intelligent discussion of the storyline and plot lines of Oblivion.

:patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2013, 11:02:30 pm »
That's what happens when you "rob the cradle" in your selection for a wife!    :laugh:

How did you know?   I still find it odd that when I graduated high school and went into the Navy she was just leaving 5th grade.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2013, 11:06:41 pm »
Interesting, I'd rather watch the old movies.. more and more these days I gravitate to the older stuff.

Rap....I modified the original post to this thread...switched out the YouTube videos.

There is now an in depth video on the making and filming the movie.

Please watch it....for many many reasons. (which we can discuss later on perhaps...LOL)

If you don't fall in love with this movie....then I really don't 'know' you.  Would be really surprised.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2013, 11:11:30 pm »

BULLETIN!!    This thread is meant to try to get an intelligent discussion of the storyline and plot lines of Oblivion.

OK we're with you - back on subject.   The question on the thread header is OBLIVION - Great...or Goofy?   

Looking at the comments  I think all of us are voting Goofy -  except for maybe you. Oh and my wife but she's to young to vote.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 11:12:52 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2013, 11:13:12 pm »

OK we're with you - back on subject.   The question on the thread header is OBLIVION - Great...or Goofy?   

Looking at the comments  I think all of us are voting Goofy -  except for maybe you. Oh and my wife but she aint  voting.

Well, you obviously married "up"!     :beer:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 11:13:51 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2013, 11:27:22 pm »
Well, you obviously married "up"!     :beer:

Also blessed with 2 TVs.   She can watch Oblivion upstairs, while and I watch The magnificent Seven in the Theater Room.

Its not just Oblivion. We had the same differences with the Matrix movies and Tron. I hated them, she loved them.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2013, 11:39:42 pm »
Also blessed with 2 TVs.   She can watch Oblivion upstairs, while and I watch The magnificent Seven in the Theater Room.

Its not just Oblivion. We had the same differences with the Matrix movies and Tron. I hated them, she loved them.

I can go you one better, Navy.  When George was still alive our big-screen TV in the bedroom was one of those "split screen" TV's.. I had head phones and could watch my half while he watched his half.. that way I could watch HGTV and he could watch SciFi....... and we could still be together......
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2013, 11:40:14 pm »
DC I'll watch the you tube this evening.. I truly am slammed with work right now so my time for goofing off is limited.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2013, 01:33:50 am »

I'm with you, Navy. You got theater room, I got popcorn, and it's been a while since I've seen the John Sturges classic... dunt dunt da dunt....   :2popcorn:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2013, 10:01:28 pm »

The first Matrix movie was pretty good...at least the story and special effects.  I'm with you on Tron.  Not a fan at all.

The one "flaw" I cannot reconcile in OBLIVION is this.....why is it that the clones all spoke English?  Was it because their general area of responsibility was New York City region?

Because if I was "Sally", I'd not allow them to learn or be programmed to speak English...because he'd eventually find out the scavengers are simply American citizens...led by Morgan Freeman.

Incidentally, I believe he's the ONLY African-American in the movie.....so maybe something happened between 2017 and 2077.   :silly:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2013, 02:30:38 am »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2013, 04:40:23 pm »
LOL!

I'm still thinking about this movie.   

My first question.  I have read many forums where this movie was reviewed and noticed that some viewers think that....since she was now 'involved' with TECH 49...that she was in an incestuous relationship.

....which is bunk.   A clone is not a child of the original.....it IS the original.

The ONLY thing that can affect the clone is its environment...in terms of your physical appearance.  For example, how much you weigh...how you fix your hair.   If one does lots of drugs, smokes or drinks....that would also insure that clones may not 'look alike'....but they'd still look like siblings or cousins.  LOL!

This movie suggests that a cloned individual has certain memories of their past actually imbedded in their DNA strand.

TECH 49....as well as TECH 52 were both haunted by the same dream(s)....the experience of the "original" Jack Harper...the astronaut.

2nd question....would Julia find TECH 52 a soul mate?  As she did with TECH 49?   Tech 52 got his ass kicked by 49...he didn't save her life....he didn't put himself between the drone and her?   He didn't put her to sleep and go on his suicide mission with Morgan Freeman.  He was apparently 'rescued' by the people and shown where Julia and her daughter lived.

One thing for sure....this movie will make you think.   I liked it a lot.   

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2013, 08:02:34 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJqmifrDPzw

ROFL!

She loved it...and I can relate to that.   He HATED it!

Uh.....does this mean I'm really a male lesbian?    :laugh:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2013, 09:18:47 pm »
WARNING:  SPOILER ALERT!!!

Everybody has experienced waking up from surgery.  You close your eyes and suddenly you’re trying to open them…acclimating yourself to your immediate surroundings.   Wondering how much time you’ve been under …

Julia went to ‘sleep’ being happily married to her husband (Tom Cruise).  She remained in that sleep state… in orbit, for “at least sixty (60) years”.

He was the pilot of the spacecraft heading up to “The Tet” a massive tetradedral space station orbiting the earth. 

Julie was in a separate attached module along with four others all in sleep mode. 

The first two people she sees is THE PILOT AND THE CO-PILOT of the spacecraft on which she was ‘freight’. 

BUT THEY’RE NOT!   Sixty plus years have gone by.  She looking at clones but it hasn’t registered yet.  They show Tom looking all gorgeous for added effect.  He’s got a guilty look about him that he can’t explain.

It’s an excellent performance that conveys all the emotion you’d expect from such an event.

And it begins at exactly 42 minutes into the film.

WATCH IT!   And don’t be distracted by Julia’s lips.   

Watch Vicka turn into Nurse Ratched.    :laugh:

.........then come back and we can discuss it.      :tongue2:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2013, 10:49:39 pm »
Just a note:

My lady friend has expressed a strong dislike for Tom Cruise...nose scrunches...squinty eyes whenever his name comes up.

I asked her to watch this movie and she finally did.

She called me a couple of times during the movie for explanations (have seen it about a half dozen times  LOL!)

She said it was a terrific story and visual experience and that she has to reevaluate her POV on Tom Cruise.    :silly:

No small feat there.....