Author Topic: Watch a 13-Year-Old Country Singer Bring Even Simon Cowell to His Feet  (Read 2001 times)

Offline happyg

Rion Paige may have a different way of spelling her name, but it’s probably one you should get used to. That’s because the spunky 13-year-old country singer brought the “X Factor” judges to their feet Wednesday with her rendition of a Carrie Underwood song.

Besides a solid voice and a special name, Paige is unique for another reason: She has a rare disease that has left her wrist joints deformed and she’s almost completely blind in her right eye. But you’d never know it from her attitude.

“I have arthrogryposis multiplex congenita, which is basically a whole bunch of words to describe something simple,” she said with about as much energy as an F-5 tornado.

“Ever since I was little I would just sort of find a way to get to a microphone,” she explained to producers. “I would put it in between my knees, and try to get it into my foot, and put it in my mouth.”

Still, she admitted she does get frustrated at times, but music helps her “explain her feelings.”

But don’t think she wants any pity for having physical struggles.

“I just don’t want the judges to take pity or think of me as different,” she said.

Then she let it rip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11oMu365xYU&feature=player_embedded

The judges loved it.

“Rion, I’m just so impressed with you right now and I cannot believe the struggles you have had and how positive you are,” judge Demi Lovato said after her, her counterparts, and the audience couldn’t help but giver her a standing ovation. “I think everybody in this room can learn something from you today.”

And yes, even Simon Cowell was moved.

“I think you’re literally extraordinary,” he said. “I really do.”

Paige is a bit of a local celebrity in her hometown of Jacksonville, Florida. In fact, there’s even a YouTube video from 2012 showing her belting out Adelle on the local news:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzWiFtYKwM8&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Leyr20BUU-k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ8xxDzs6sc&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kZ8xxDzs6sc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9vJFJ-Tr8lY

Last summer she even won a local country singing competition. It’s not hard to see why.

This story has been updated.

(H/T: Huffington Post)

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/09/13/watch-a-13-year-old-country-singer-bring-even-simon-cowell-to-his-feet/

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Watch a 13-Year-Old Country Singer Bring Even Simon Cowell to His Feet
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 07:05:13 pm »
Great post!
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Olivia

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 07:17:27 pm »
Wow!  She has been blessed with a beautiful voice, despite all her struggles.
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 11:19:35 pm »
THAT WAS INCREDIBLE!    Brought tears to this big ole guys eyes.

And speaking as a Dad of a 12 year old boy, I find it even more amazing to be so talented and so mature at the tender age of 13? 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline happyg

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 11:25:44 pm »
THAT WAS INCREDIBLE!    Brought tears to this big ole guys eyes.

And speaking as a Dad of a 12 year old boy, I find it even more amazing to be so talented and so mature at the tender age of 13?

I was impressed with her age and maturity, too. Her parents showed her that one handicap can bring out talents in other areas. Some of the happiest and most well adjusted people I know have severe handicaps. Then, there are those with no handicaps, but are disabled by their negative thinking.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 11:38:07 pm »
This week my 6th grade son was excited about meeting a little  kindergarten boy on the playground basketball court. A little boy with badly deformed hands (only three fingers on each hand). My son spent his recess time not playing with his classmates, but instead  showing this little boy how to shoot baskets.    Sometimes as a dad I question his maturity, but never will I question his character. I'm proud of him.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 11:39:55 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline happyg

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 11:47:26 pm »
This week my 6th grade son was excited about meeting a little  kindergarten boy on the playground basketball court. A little boy with badly deformed hands (only three fingers on each hand). My son spent his recess time not playing with his classmates, but instead  showing this little boy how to shoot baskets.    Sometimes as a dad I question his maturity, but never will I question his character. I'm proud of him.

He probably takes after his dad.  Some children can be cruel, but if someone explains the situation to them, they pull through. When my disabled nephew was swimming with my nieces and nephews and grandkids, they asked why he wore a diaper (he was 16) under his bathing suit. We told them in simple terms they would understand, and they spent the rest of the day playing with him.

Offline TheMom

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 12:14:15 am »
I have watched parts of The X Factor probably three, maybe four, times.  When I got home last night the TV was on whatever station the show airs on, I just left it there for noise factor.  I saw this young ladies performance and was blown away ~ what an incredible talent she has.
I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.

Offline TheMom

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 12:15:50 am »

How awesome!  Kudo's to your son.
I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 02:58:37 am »
You and your wife are doing a great job with your son, Navy.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776