Author Topic: Pope Francis assures sceptics: You don’t have to believe in God to go to heaven  (Read 1054 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Pope Francis assures sceptics: You don’t have to believe in God to go to heaven
Michael Day

In comments likely to enhance his progressive reputation, Pope Francis has written a long, open letter to the founder of La Repubblica newspaper, Eugenio Scalfari, stating that non-believers would be forgiven by God if they followed their consciences.

Responding to a list of questions published in the paper by Mr Scalfari, who is not a Roman Catholic, Francis wrote: “You ask me if the God of the Christians forgives those who don’t believe and who don’t seek the faith. I start by saying – and this is the fundamental thing – that God’s mercy has no limits if you go to him with a sincere and contrite heart. The issue for those who do not believe in God is to obey their conscience.

“Sin, even for those who have no faith, exists when people disobey their conscience.”

more:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pope-francis-assures-sceptics-you-dont-have-to-believe-in-god-to-go-to-heaven-8810062.html

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sinkspur

This is perfectly consistent with Catholic teaching.  All men and women who seek to do good and do right can achieve salvation.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
“You ask me if the God of the Christians forgives those who don’t believe and who don’t seek the faith. I start by saying – and this is the fundamental thing – that God’s mercy has no limits if you go to him with a sincere and contrite heart.
So far, so good.

The issue for those who do not believe in God is to obey their conscience.
And... he lost it.

The pontiff seems to forget that the Godless do not recognize a conscience.

In order to receive salvation, one must turn to God and repent of their sins. If one does not recognize God exists, then to whom do they repent? To put one's morality into the fickle human "conscience" is to trust morality in the heart of sin.

The pontiff has committed a grave heresy.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024