Author Topic: Contestant shows off tattoos at Miss America pageant  (Read 4673 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

Contestant shows off tattoos at Miss America pageant
« on: September 12, 2013, 10:20:17 pm »
This is one of those stories that is hardly earth shaking but I would like to get the opinions on here as to how others view this matter. My own position is she's a lovely young woman, as are all the contestants, but the tats distract from her beauty. Otoh, tattoos are very fashionable right now so maybe I am just being a old grouch.

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. – Miss Kansas Theresa Vail says she wants to break the stereotype that women with visible tattoos don’t compete in pageants.

So during the swimsuit portion of the Miss America competition on Tuesday, Vail revealed two tattoos – the Serenity Prayer on her right side and the insignia of the U.S. Army Dental Corps on her left shoulder.

Vail is a 22-year-old senior at Kansas State University. She’s also a member of the Army National Guard who wants to become a military dentist.

Her platform is helping women overcome stereotypes and break barriers.

Given her platform, she wrote on her blog last month: “What a hypocrite I would be if I covered the ink.”

http://tbo.com/contestant-shows-off-tattoos-at-miss-america-pageant-20130912/

Btw, I believe, from what I have read, this is only one of two tats. The other is smaller and on her upper arm on the other side.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline sinkspur

Re: Contestant shows off tattoos at Miss America pageant
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 10:24:52 pm »
Tats are nasty and a sign of poor judgment.  I would NEVER hire a person with a visible tat, no matter how good they otherwise were. 

Plenty of attractive women without tats.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 10:37:00 pm »
Tats are nasty and a sign of poor judgment.  I would NEVER hire a person with a visible tat, no matter how good they otherwise were. 

Not anymore, there aren't. These days the tattoo is a rite of passage. I don't know a single woman under 30 without one, which makes dating impossible if you don't like them.

I find them annoying and distracting. If I try to keep conversation with someone with a visible tattoo, my eyes keep getting drawn to the tattoo. (There is apparently some scientific reasoning behind this... the old uncanny valley effect: if something is off about a person, such as a tattoo or other marking on the skin, it can be very off-putting and unsettling.)

Yet if you even bring it up, they respond with all the forcefulness of a gay rights activist.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 10:53:49 pm »
I've seen some beautiful young girls here who have totally destroyed their looks with tattoos...  all I can think when I see them is why?  Do they have a clue what they are going to look like when they are old and wrinkled???
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 10:59:07 pm »
I drank a lot when I was young.  That was my stupidity,

I hardly drink at all now. 

Tats are a stupidity that are FOREVER, unless one wants to undergo a very painful removal procedure.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 11:54:49 pm »

Got a bunch of tats after I retired. I'll match my judgment with yours any day you'd like.  :smokin:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 12:01:05 am »
Got a bunch of tats after I retired. I'll match my judgment with yours any day you'd like.  :smokin:

It's poor judgment to GET a tat.  But, since you're retired, who cares?   

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 12:34:41 am »

I have found that being inked has absolutely no bearing on the quality of employee. Unless your job requires selling bibles to a church, you are probably missing out on a lot of quality employees with this quick dismissal.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 12:47:54 am »
My company will not hire people with tattoos and if they find out you have one (meaning you lied on the questionnaire) then you're fired.  They implemented that when they found out a new employee had a bunch of tattoos, but had never asked him ahead of time and since it was winter, he was wearing a long sleeve shirt during the interview.

And I will not date a woman with a tattoo.  Nothing says slut like a tramp stamp.  If you want to parade yourself around and advertise how easy you are, be my guest.

I do not find this woman attractive one bit.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 12:51:33 am »
I have found that being inked has absolutely no bearing on the quality of employee. Unless your job requires selling bibles to a church, you are probably missing out on a lot of quality employees with this quick dismissal.

Sorry.  My job requires hiring people who are credible with hospital executives in Texas.  The pool of candidates without tats is very large.

I ain't takin' any chances.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 02:13:55 am »
Staten Island is a mecca for tattoos. Young, old, male, female; everyone's got one or ten. Not me, though. I think one's body is fine just the way God made it.

As for the tats, I've seen varying quality. I've seen poor slobs with amateurish looking tattoos and I've seen young ladies covered in high quality tattoos. Either way, talk about poor judgment. Someone young and buff, tattoos can look good on them. But no one stays young and buff forever. That's where the lack of judgment comes in.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 02:42:58 am »
I'd say about 30 percent of my students have visible tattoos, and I'm sure the number goes way up to above 50 percent if I included those that are hidden.  It's pretty much an accepted practice among millennials.  Gen Xers turned their hats around and then millennials started mutilating themselves with tats and piercings.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 03:07:30 am »
Teresa Mull of "Human Events" offers her opinion on Miss Kansas and her tats. (She is not pleased)

Miss America and tattoo culture

http://www.humanevents.com/2013/09/11/miss-america-and-tattoo-culture/
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 12:17:03 pm »
Teresa Mull of "Human Events" offers her opinion on Miss Kansas and her tats. (She is not pleased)

http://www.humanevents.com/2013/09/11/miss-america-and-tattoo-culture/

From the link:

"How can I tell other women to be fearless and true to themselves if I can’t do the same? I am who I am, tattoos and all.”

Odd that she thinks her tats express who SHE is.  To me they express who the artist is.  All she did was allow herself to be someone else's canvas.  I guess that does say something about her after all.  She probably even paid the guy to mutilate her. 

Prostitutes, at least, know which way the money is supposed to flow between the abuser and the abusee.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 12:42:10 pm »
Just think what would have happened to Laura Logan, the female journalist attacked by the mob in Egypt....had this tattoo been discovered on her. :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 03:00:33 pm »
My company will not hire people with tattoos and if they find out you have one (meaning you lied on the questionnaire) then you're fired.  They implemented that when they found out a new employee had a bunch of tattoos, but had never asked him ahead of time and since it was winter, he was wearing a long sleeve shirt during the interview.

And I will not date a woman with a tattoo.  Nothing says slut like a tramp stamp.  If you want to parade yourself around and advertise how easy you are, be my guest.

I do not find this woman attractive one bit.

How about women that smoke? Drink? Drive? Don't cover their faces?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 03:45:58 pm by xfreeper »

Offline Olivia

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 03:38:26 pm »
Personally, I've seen beautiful young girls with tats all over their legs.  Ugh! 
I'm thinking thirty years down the road when the tats have faded.  Double Ugh!  :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 03:39:12 pm by Olivia »
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 03:54:07 pm »
Personally, I've seen beautiful young girls with tats all over their legs.  Ugh! 
I'm thinking thirty years down the road when the tats have faded.  Double Ugh!  :laugh:

At least they can take out their navel rings once they are post-menopausal.   :smokin:

Offline Olivia

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 03:57:49 pm »
At least they can take out their navel rings once they are post-menopausal.   :smokin:

Now that's funny!   :silly:
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

famousdayandyear

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 09:48:23 pm »
What I don't get is her reasoning behind tatooing the lovely Serenity Prayer at all; and even MORE puzzling is she placed the tat where she cannot possibly read it. The logic?

I would not trust this person with my cat. 

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 10:49:40 pm »
What I don't get is her reasoning behind tatooing the lovely Serenity Prayer at all; and even MORE puzzling is she placed the tat where she cannot possibly read it. The logic?

I would not trust this person with my cat.

Not only that, but think of all the positions where you're going to be totally distracted by that verse.    :silly:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 11:02:01 pm »
In about 30 years' time, this woman's back will look like a subway wall.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 11:04:00 pm »
How about women that smoke? Drink? Drive? Don't cover their faces?

Do you realize that I do not own the company, just work for it, or did you just feel like being rude?  You're basically calling us the Taliban and I find that highly offensive.

We do not hire smokers due to the huge extra cost of health insurance.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 11:04:38 pm by Atomic Cow »
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline happyg

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 11:32:29 pm »

LOL! My ex dil had a navel ring, and each time she was pregnant, as her tummy grew, the ring would stand out. By the time she had her babies, it was upright, that showed through her clothing.  I'm surprised she didn't get it caught on something.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 11:47:12 pm »
I'd say about 30 percent of my students have visible tattoos, and I'm sure the number goes way up to above 50 percent if I included those that are hidden.  It's pretty much an accepted practice among millennials.  Gen Xers turned their hats around and then millennials started mutilating themselves with tats and piercings.
They'll probably look rather silly when they're 70, assuming they make it that far.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org