Author Topic: Assad moving chemical weapons to Iraq and Lebanon, Syria opposition General Salim Idriss claims to CNN’s Amanpour  (Read 1070 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://amanpour.blogs.cnn.com/2013/09/12/assad-moving-chemical-weapons-to-iraq-and-lebanon-syria-opposition-general-salim-idriss-claims-to-cnns-amanpour/

September 12th, 2013
02:51 PM ET

By Mick Krever, CNN

The head of the opposition Free Syria Army, General Salim Idriss, told CNN’s Christiane Amanpour on Thursday that he has intelligence that the Assad regime is moving its chemical weapons out of the country.

“Today we have information that the regime began to move chemical materials and chemical weapons to Lebanon and to Iraq,” General Idriss told Amanpour from inside Syria.

It’s a huge claim that would fundamentally shift everything U.S. intelligence officials have in the past said they believe about the situation in Syria, CNN Pentagon Correspondent Barbara Starr reports.

Namely, that Assad is wary to disperse the weapons because he knows the U.S. won't bomb them, that the security forces are in firm control of the weapons, and that there is a large, secure infrastructure in place moving them from rebel-held areas.

If true, notes Starr, US intelligence would be trying to ascertain whether it was a rogue element or a crack in the regime’s control.

The Iraqi government denied Idriss' claim after the interview aired.

"There is a political agenda behind this claim" Ali al-Moussawi, an adviser to Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, told CNN on the phone from Baghdad. "We were the victims of chemical weapons under Saddam's regime and we will never allow to let any country to transfer chemical materials to our lands at all."

The Syrian opposition is afraid, General Idriss told Amanpour, that Assad will use then use those weapons again after any international mission to take control away from the regime.

“The regime,” he said, “is behaving like Saddam Hussein.”

General Idriss said that he had spoken on the phone with U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry.

“I had a call today with Mr. Kerry and he told me that he will discuss with the Russians how honest the regime is,” he said. “And if our friends discover that the regime is trying to play games and waste time, the threat of the strikes is still on the table.”

Earlier on Thursday, General Idriss told NPR that he had not received “any weapons from our American friends,” despite some reports that lethal aid had indeed started reaching the Syrian opposition.

“I can’t talk about weapons,” he told Amanpour. “We are getting now a lot of support from our American friends, but I can’t talk in detail about all kinds of the support.”

General Idriss dismissed Russia’s plan to have Syria destroy its chemical weapons as missing the point.

“We have many, many problems with the regime,” he said. “The chemical weapons is not … the only problem that we have.”

He cited the many thousands of Syrians who have died at the hands of conventional weapons.

Nonetheless, General Idriss said, if weapons inspectors were allowed into Syria to take control and eventually dismantle the chemical weapons, the Syrian opposition would protect them.

“When they come to our country we will do our best to help them,” he told Amanpour. “But I think the regime will prevent them to go to the locations and to do their job.”

“I think the regime will tell them, ‘Today you can’t go out of the hotels because the situation is very dangerous, and tomorrow you can’t go,’ and they will delay and delay.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cincinnatus

The head of the opposition Free Syria Army, General Salim Idriss, told CNN’s Christiane Amanpour on Thursday that he has intelligence that the Assad regime is moving its chemical weapons out of the country.

Good enough for me. Bomb Assad.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline GourmetDan

Yeah, there is going to be war no matter what...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Rapunzel

Same thing Sadam did because we warned him we were coming.... and back then if you all remember he was helped by the Russians who gave his convoy of trucks cover by accompanying them in their Mercedes limo's.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
We can already imagine what Obama will say to the country when Israel is attacked now....with chemical weapons.

Or...if some are released in OUR country.

"Dont blame me,  it's the Republicans who refused to back my plan to bomb Assad's forces back at the end of August, 2013.  The deaths of all those innocent people could have been prevented....had you just believed in me and followed me.   But NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

"The Republicans are squarely to blame.  Not me!   And be sure to show your displeasure next November when you vote."
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 10:53:22 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

Shouldn't it read..."Assad moving chemical weapons back to Iraq???"
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline happyg

Shouldn't it read..."Assad moving chemical weapons back to Iraq???"

My first thought when I read the title. They are going back home.