Author Topic: U.S. Amb. to U.N.: Time to Act Outside Legal Framework  (Read 720 times)

Offline flowers

U.S. Amb. to U.N.: Time to Act Outside Legal Framework
« on: September 09, 2013, 02:38:54 pm »
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/us-amb-un-time-act-outside-legal-framework_752971.html

The NPR host asked, "Let me ask a central question for you, because you're representing the U.S. at the United Nations, which has not authorized a strike. Would an American strike on Syria be legal?"

"If we take military action in this context, it will be a legitimate, necessary, and proportionate response to this large scale and indiscriminate use of chemical weapons by the regime," said Power. "Nobody has tried harder than this administration to work through the security council over two and a half years. As you're well aware of, of course, even modest humanitarian and political measures have been rejected by Russia in New York. We've had three vetoes put forward--three resolutions put forward, all of which have been vetoed by Russia. And on chemical weapons, specifically, and perhaps most heart breakingly, even on the day of August 21, when those ghastly images were broadcast all around the world, we couldn't even get a press release out of the security council condemning generically use of chemical weapons."

rangerrebew

Re: U.S. Amb. to U.N.: Time to Act Outside Legal Framework
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 05:11:03 pm »
There is the REAL Obama.  If you don't like something in the law, ignore it and do what you want.  I sounds a little like the wild, wild west to me. :Obounce:  No use be constrained by the rule of law, is there? :whistle:

Online mountaineer

Re: U.S. Amb. to U.N.: Time to Act Outside Legal Framework
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 08:15:53 pm »
"Legitimate" means whatever this bunch of dictators wants it to mean.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org