Author Topic: Conservative leader Abbott sweeps into power in Australian elections  (Read 1033 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator

Support the USO

Online Bigun

• The income tax: Root of all evil!
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Conservative leader Abbott sweeps into power in Australian elections
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 10:23:50 AM »
Same thing would happen here IF we would nominate an actual CONSERVATIVE!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 08:34:32 AM »
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Offline happyg

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 09:07:01 AM »
Sounds somewhat familiar around here. Sometimes, you have to stand up for what you believe in.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 09:28:31 AM »
Sounds somewhat familiar around here. Sometimes, you have to stand up for what you believe in.

Indeed! All to familiar in fact!

Where I come from standing up for what you believe in is expected and not abnormal.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 09:29:11 AM by Bigun »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 05:39:48 PM »
Excellent news!

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 05:50:07 PM »
People of his sort are not supposed to win elections. Abbott believes in God, supports free speech, wants to crack down on illegal immigration and once called global warming "crap". He opposes same-sex marriage, though in courteous and temperate language (his sister, who is gay, campaigned for him). He has no time for the notion, favoured by some Melbourne cleverdicks, that Australia is an Asian power: his country's alliances with Britain, the United States and the other Anglophone democracies are central to his world-view.

And if that weren't enough he's a friend of Mark Steyn.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100234883/tony-abbott-won-because-australians-trust-him/
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 10:09:09 PM »
Same thing would happen here IF we would nominate an actual CONSERVATIVE!

"Conservative" in Australian politics does not mean the same thing it means here - just as "Liberal" has a diametrically opposite meaning there than it does here - and the conditions in Australia were not the same as they are here.  This is a good thing for Australia, relatively speaking, but one should be very chary of drawing too-easy parallels between there and here.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 08:40:04 AM »
"Conservative" in Australian politics does not mean the same thing it means here - just as "Liberal" has a diametrically opposite meaning there than it does here - and the conditions in Australia were not the same as they are here.  This is a good thing for Australia, relatively speaking, but one should be very chary of drawing too-easy parallels between there and here.

That may be true to some degree but politics works the same everywhere. It's always the current establishment against those who would shake things up and we see that, yet again, in this case.

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 08:50:47 AM »
That may be true to some degree but politics works the same everywhere. It's always the current establishment against those who would shake things up and we see that, yet again, in this case.

And we see just how well Romney did under similar circumstances.  The skillset is the same, but the personalities involved, the policies involved, and the circumstances involved all have significant differences that make parallels uncertain.  I would also point out that in the US conservatives have made such a stink about calling things like abortion a holocaust, etc, etc, and have made serious efforts to impose restrictions based on religious beliefs - and that is what motivates most anti-abortionists, not medical fact - that American conservatives have put a legitimate fear of a religious government into the minds of many, including many nominally non-aligned voters; this is not something that Australian conservatives indulge themselves in.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 12:12:43 PM »
Bull.

I would also point out that in the US conservatives have made such a stink about calling things like abortion a holocaust, etc, etc, and have made serious efforts to impose restrictions based on religious beliefs - and that is what motivates most anti-abortionists, not medical fact...

If you believe that you know little about what motivates ProLifers. It may well be we are motivated to speak out due to our religious beliefs but that is because science, biology and neonatology, show us clearly that what is being destroyed is a human life. For the same reason some ProLifers, me not among them, also oppose capital punishment which also takes a human life.

It is the same viewpoint which made Christians the leaders of the abolitionist movement. In addition to opposing the suffering it entailed, their principles also taught them you cannot own another human being.

More bull: that American conservatives have put a legitimate fear of a religious government into the minds of many, including many nominally non-aligned voters.

What we have engendered is a fear the ProLife movement may negatively impact the sexually libertine lifestyle and prevent people from killing the costly and demanding babies who result. They aren't afraid of "a religious government". They are afraid of a crimp in their conduct.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Currently Thinking of a Clever Avatar
Australian conservatives run successfully against carbon tax
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 03:11:23 PM »
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:11:51 PM by jmyrlefuller »

Offline raml

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 03:32:26 PM »
We haven't had a real conservative run since Reagan. Romney wasn't even close to being a conservative. No comparison when you bring Romney up. The republicans ought to put in a real conservative and see if they will win. I think all you moderates would be surprised by how they would do. A lot of the people that gave up voting did so because of the moderates and liberal republicans that have been running. I don't believe moderate or liberals have any idea how many of us are out here since many have given up thinking they could ever be heard with all the crap being put out there by liberal republicans.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 03:35:07 PM »
And we see just how well Romney did under similar circumstances.  The skillset is the same, but the personalities involved, the policies involved, and the circumstances involved all have significant differences that make parallels uncertain.  I would also point out that in the US conservatives have made such a stink about calling things like abortion a holocaust, etc, etc, and have made serious efforts to impose restrictions based on religious beliefs - and that is what motivates most anti-abortionists, not medical fact - that American conservatives have put a legitimate fear of a religious government into the minds of many, including many nominally non-aligned voters; this is not something that Australian conservatives indulge themselves in.

Do you think Romney was (is) and actual conservative?  If so I have some swampland in West Texas I want you to take a look at!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 03:50:36 PM »
Do you think Romney was (is) and actual conservative?  If so I have some swampland in West Texas I want you to take a look at!

He was anything but... I never had blinders in that regard. He was also a cautious poll-driven candidate who allowed his advisors to convince him playing it cautious would get him elected... a very disastrous decision running against the Obama machine.  Just as McCain lost support when he said at a townhall meeting "Obama is a very good man" so did Romney lose support when it was clear he was wrapping up the primaries in his favor and his spokesman said now he has to swing to the left to win the election, a lot of people who had until then supported him - albeit reluctantly - were angered that they had been had.. that more than his religion.... aided by backstabbing from Christie cost us the November 2012 election.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:51:05 PM by Rapunzel »

Online aligncare

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 04:12:06 PM »
Romney had as conservative a record as can be had as governor in a predominately democrat state like Massachusetts, and still accomplish something. That said, I have no desire to argue the past. Obama won, now let's set about repairing the damage.
NeverTrump wants to deny you YOUR voice, YOUR presidential choice.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf