Author Topic: Mystery diner pays for family's dinner, leaves encouraging note  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

Mystery diner pays for family's dinner, leaves encouraging note
« on: September 04, 2013, 01:07:10 am »
Another one of those feel good stories I like. I hope anyone who is prompted to suggest the parents shouldn't bring this child with them into public venues like restaurants will silently go elsewhere.

CHINA GROVE, NC (WBTV) -
A family in Rowan County got an unexpected, and inspiring, note when they were out to dinner on Friday. A photo of the note is going viral.

Ashley England tells WBTV that she went to dinner with her family on Friday evening, including her 8-year-old son, Riley. The family was sitting at a table at the Stag n Doe, in China Grove when Riley, who has special needs, began to get "a little rowdy."

"The past few weeks have been very hard and trying for us - especially with public outings," England told WBTV. "Riley was getting loud and hitting the table and I know it was aggravating to some people."

That's when she says a waitress walked over to the table with tears in her eye and a note.

"I'll try to do this without crying," the waitress told the family. "But another customer has paid for your bill tonight and wanted me to give you this note."

The note read: "God only gives special children to special people."

Riley is non-verbal and has been through three major brain surgeries for epilepsy.

England says the kindness of the mystery diner made her cry.

"To have someone do that small act towards us shows that some people absolutely understand what we are going through and how hard it is to face the public sometimes," she said. "They made me cry, blessed me more than they know - I felt like out of all the rude negative comments that we are faced with - these outweighs them. The people who care!"

She says she wants to say thank you to the person that paid for their meal and sent the encouraging words.

"Little did he know what struggles we had been facing lately and this was surely needed at that moment," she said. "Thank you!"

http://www.wsmv.com/story/23317889/mystery-diner
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Mystery diner pays for family's dinner, leaves encouraging note
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 02:18:27 am »
I've been guilty myself, hearing a screaming toddler all through the grocery store - wishing the parents would just take it outside and leave.  I'll try to be more understanding next time.  Thanks for posting this Cincinnatus, that's a wonderful story.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 02:46:48 am »
 goopo

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 01:31:15 pm »
My 65-year-old brother-in-law is mentally handicapped and still "acts up" in restaurants. I hope people try to understand that we're doing what we can to manage his behavior.  What a lovely story, Cin.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline happyg

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 03:25:11 pm »
My nephew is severely handicapped, and has never spoken a word in his 21 years, but makes verbal noises, as well as using his body as a way to communicate, at least we think so. I go to Christmas dinner every year with his school because the dinner is held nearer to me than to my sister's house. When he sees me, he goes nuts, making noises and jumping up and down. So far, everyone who isn't part of the group, just smiles. Some  thank us for taking on such a job. One person even donated money to his school.

Since he turned 21, he can no longer attend that wonderful program, but will go to a trade school for the disabled. I doubt he will even learn much, if anything, but he loves being around people. We are blessed to have so many people care for him.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 07:50:49 pm »
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
Matt 25:40
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams