Author Topic: Alec Baldwin agrees to host MSNBC show  (Read 1082 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Alec Baldwin agrees to host MSNBC show
« on: September 05, 2013, 08:21:42 pm »
http://thehill.com/capital-living/320529-alec-baldwin-agrees-to-host-msnbc-show

Alec Baldwin agrees to host MSNBC show
By Emily Goodin - 09/05/13 03:09 PM ET

Actor Alec Baldwin has agreed to host a weekly cable show on MSNBC that will air Friday nights beginning in October.

Baldwin, a liberal actor who once vowed to leave the country if George W. Bush won the presidency, will focus on current events and culture on the new “Up Late” show, according to the announcement made Thursday by MSNBC.

“After two seasons of my WNYC podcast, I've developed a fondness for hosting a show that involved talking with smart, talented and engaging people in every imaginable field,” he said in a statement. “I'm grateful to MSNBC for helping me bring a similar show to television.”

Baldwin has been a longtime supporter of liberal causes, and has hosted a podcast, “Here’s the Thing,” on WNYC since 2011.

In addition, one of his most notable roles as an actor was on NBC's “30 Rock,” where he played a network executive.

Phil Griffin, president of MSNBC, said the move has been a long time in the works. Speculation about the deal began this summer.

“I've been talking with Alec for a while and can't wait to bring his personality and eclectic interests to MSNBC,” he said. “He's got such passion for ideas and what's going on in the world — he's going to be a great addition to our line-up.”

Baldwin's show will air Fridays from 10 p.m. until 11 p.m. Lawrence O'Donnell hosts the 10 p.m. slot on MSNBC on Mondays through Thursdays.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Alec Baldwin agrees to host MSNBC show
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 08:23:14 pm »
I put this in Entertainment instead of Politics since this may be fun to watch, although I won't...but we may do a poll to see how long it takes Alec to punch out one of his guests...lol
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 08:29:56 pm »
And that's the reason he's probably going to do well.

He's 'expected' to be a bad boy and controversial. 

It's like slowing down passing a wreck....you gotta peek.   :laugh: 

especially if he's billed as entertainment.  Thank God he's not on HBO.  But he'll push it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 08:31:46 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Olivia

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 09:26:16 pm »
Gosh, how long will it be before they give Rosanne Barr her own show?
She hates anything conservative and has a big mouth, all the credentials that are needed for MSNBC.
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 11:07:25 pm »
Don't give them any ideas. 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 12:26:38 pm »
Alec Baldwin's "Left"over Whine
Andrea Peyser
Oct. 14, 2013

Good news, America: No reporters or paparazzi were roughed up or subjected to scary, homophobic tirades during this TV show’s premiere.

No flight attendants were at the receiving end of a titanic temper tantrum. No daughters were declared “thoughtless little pigs.’’

As for me, I wasn’t harassed on Twitter as the obsessive-compulsive blowhard named Alec Baldwin — my sweet, misunderstood, emotional, psychological and metaphysical train wreck — debuted his new talk show Friday night.

The NYPD, however, was reduced to roadkill. City cops were mutilated by the bigmouth, liberal twit, and by his first guest and boy crush, Democratic mayoral candidate Bill de Blasio.

Whom will Alec beat up next?

Alec’s mouth was set on “mute’’ and his hair arranged into a mish-mash of little spikes — an homage to Miley Cyrus’ ratty head spindles? Or was it, as TV Newser wrote, “a group of miniature nuclear silos’’?

Alec’s much-ballyhooed “Up Late With Alec Baldwin’’ launched on MSNBC with all the shock and awe one would expect from a leftist Hollywood egomaniac who a) wants to be taken seriously, b) delusionally expects to run for elective office or c) craves attention the way a supermodel craves a good colon cleanse.

Within a few minutes, Alec managed to infuriate cops, good citizens of this city, and GOP mayoral candidate Joe Lhota as he issued an hourlong foot massage to de Blasio. I’ve seen wet smooches that were more restrained.

Alec maligned cops for stopping and frisking dubious characters on the street, a practice that has removed countless illegal guns from the hands of potential thugs.

“Stop-and-frisk, to me, seems lazy,’’ Baldwin declared. De Blasio was over the moon.

“I really appreciate that analysis,’’ said de Blasio, “because it’s a tough city and a tough city to police.’’

Lhota was livid at de Blasio’s kiss-up to this known loon.

“Bill characterizing the NYPD as lazy is infuriating,’’ he said Saturday. “On what planet is he living?’’

And this was only the first show.

After enduring the self-serving, white-guy blah blah — Raise taxes! Cuff the cops! — I longed for the gentle pleasures of root canal. At least you get something for the pain. But then Alec got competitive with his guest. De Blasio was describing his Dickensian childhood (absentee father, poverty), when Alec piped up with his own tale of youthful woe.

“In my lifetime, when I grew up in the heart of suburban, residential, middle-class Long Island,’’ Alec interrupted his guest, “one of the things that just vibrates for me in my adult life is all the activities we had through the school.”

“I grew up in a neighborhood where kids who didn’t sing in the chorus or play an instrument in the band or play basketball or get into wrestling or gymnastics, if they didn’t do something after school’’ — drumroll — “they all became drug addicts.’’

Pray tell, Alec, did you sing or play sports?

Before I heard a peep of complaint from the Nassau County school boards, an energized Alec brought up another rich-guy problem: women.

“I always tell my friends, I remember during my lifetime I would meet women. It was almost like God would say to me, ‘This is not the one you’re going to end up with. She’ll be a lot like this one. Study this woman. She’s smart and caring so take a good look at her. Someone like this will be put in your life 10 years later.’ ’’

Alec’s hallucinatory chat about dames did not include a mention of Hilaria Thomas, his Stockholm-syndrome-suffering wife and mother of his new baby girl.

Before Friday’s TV launch, MSNBC President Phil Griffin reportedly warned Alec to keep his tweeting thumbs in check. Instead, Alec used Twitter to diss Weekly Standard editor William Kristol as “sanctimonious,’’ and trashed fellow MSNBC host Joe Scarborough of “Morning Joe’’ — plus phys-ed educators of the Catholic faith — for “barking at his guests” in a “[Sean] Hannity-esque Catholic-school gym-teacher style.’’

No telling how Alec will fare if he runs into Scarborough in the men’s room at 30 Rock. Or a gym teacher.

Alec should put all that pent-up Twitter fury onto the tube.

“Up Late’’ is offensive. It could use some comedy.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 05:39:53 pm »
Alec Baldwin Betters MSNBC In Crowd But Costs In Demo, Trounced by Hannity

Alec Baldwin’s premiere of his new MSNBC interview show Up Late With Alec Baldwin logged an average of 654,000 viewers on Friday  – up 53% compared to the timeslot’s take one week earlier. That said the Hollywood A-lister clocked 172,000  viewers in the news demo — a 7% drop compared to MSNBC’s performance in the hour one week earlier with an episode of MSNBC Investigates. Fox News Channel trounced Baldwin in the timeslot: Hannity logged 1.5 million viewers — 338,000 in demo. Baldwin’s gain may have been Anderson Cooper’s loss. CNN was down 52%, week to week, in overall audience (347,000) and 58% in the demo (111,000).

Baldwin took an unconventional, provincial approach to his primetime TV talk-show hosting debut, devoting the entire hour to a chat with Dem NYC mayoral candidate Bill de Blasio. Baldwin fans who know him best from his 30 Rock and SNL-hosting or TCM The Essentials co-hosting gigs might have been surprised by the serious demeanor he took right from the cold open — offset by his jauntily moussed hair and the retro-chic bar lounge set. For the entire premiere episode, the two men talked amicably about NYC issues, including taxes, job creation, the city’s controversial stop-and-frisk cop strategy — a conversation that, conventional wisdom would argue, probably sent even some Baldwin fans outside the five boroughs diving for their remotes. Talking to de Blasio about how the candidate met and courted his wife, the politician said it was love at first sight for him. Baldwin began to muse about his own life experience, saying it was “almost like God would tell me” this is not the one he’s going to end up with, but she’s going to be like this one, so he should study her.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/10/alec-baldwin-betters-msnbc-in-debut-but-trounced-by-fnc/

Curiosity satisfied, I expect his viewership will not drop like a stone.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams