Author Topic: Putin presses US Congress over Syria, says Kerry lied  (Read 1074 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Putin presses US Congress over Syria, says Kerry lied
« on: September 04, 2013, 04:36:23 pm »
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/04/us-syria-crisis-russia-congress-idUSBRE9830N620130904

MOSCOW | Wed Sep 4, 2013 10:23am EDT

(Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Wednesday the U.S. Congress had no right to approve the use of force against Syria without a decision from the U.N. Security Council, and that doing so would be an "act of aggression".

He said "anything that is outside the U.N. Security Council is aggression, except self-defense. Now what Congress and the U.S. Senate are doing in essence is legitimizing aggression. This is inadmissible in principle."

In remarks that could raise tension further before he hosts President Barack Obama and other G20 leaders on Thursday, Putin also said U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry lied to Congress about the militant group al Qaeda's role in the Syrian conflict.

"They lie beautifully, of course. I saw debates in Congress. A congressman asks Mr Kerry: 'Is al Qaeda there?' He says: 'No, I am telling you responsibly that it is not'," Putin said at a meeting of his human rights council in the Kremlin.

"Al Qaeda units are the main military echelon, and they know this," he said, referring to the United States. "It was unpleasant and surprising for me - we talk to them, we proceed from the assumption that they are decent people. But he is lying and knows he is lying. It's sad."

Putin did not give any more details.

In an exchange with a senator, Kerry was asked whether it was "basically true" that the Syrian opposition had "become more infiltrated by al Qaeda over time. Kerry said: "No, that is actually basically not true. It's basically incorrect".

In another sign of tension, the Russian Foreign Ministry issued a statement saying that since August 31, the U.S. State Department had repeatedly asked for a telephone call between Kerry and Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov but Kerry had been unavailable and declined to set a time for the call.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Re: Putin presses US Congress over Syria, says Kerry lied
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 04:38:51 pm »
Apparently, Putin is not just content to wait for Obama's promised "flexibility" he is taking advantage of Obama's incompetence and arrogance to twist him up in knots.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 05:17:28 pm »
I find myself siding with Putin on this. Hey, I gotta call 'em as I sees 'em.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 05:19:22 pm »
Anyone with any knowledge at all about geopolitics knows this administration has done nothing but lie since day one.  One of the biggest problems I have with this whole Syrian escapade is that I can't really make an informed decision as to what I think we should do because I have no trustworthy information about it.  I have to filter every bit of information I read based on the bias of the messenger.  And that bias is strongest when the messenger is the government.

Generally, previous administrations would stretch the truth or "spin" the truth somewhat.  But this administration has been caught lying outright so many times it has no credibility left.  If I feel this way as a citizen, one can only imagine how people in foreign countries see us.

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 05:25:00 pm »
Anyone with any knowledge at all about geopolitics knows this administration has done nothing but lie since day one.  One of the biggest problems I have with this whole Syrian escapade is that I can't really make an informed decision as to what I think we should do because I have no trustworthy information about it.  I have to filter every bit of information I read based on the bias of the messenger.  And that bias is strongest when the messenger is the government.

Generally, previous administrations would stretch the truth or "spin" the truth somewhat.  But this administration has been caught lying outright so many times it has no credibility left.  If I feel this way as a citizen, one can only imagine how people in foreign countries see us.

In the past, the media would fact check and make Americans aware of lies told by the government. The media has abdicated that role with Obama in office, which enables the Obama administration to lie without fear. Obama will lie when the truth will serve.

rangerrebew

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 08:39:23 pm »
Doesn't Putin's comment make the congress or Obama sit up and take notice?  He said he WATCHED the hearings which means he is absolutely concerned about this situation.  Obama couldn't even take the time to watch the capture of bin Laden and Putin is watching hearings? :peeonobama:  Doesn't this say a million pictures about the difference between Obama and Putin? *mad*