Author Topic: Bashar al-Assad interview: 'Show me the proof of regime chemical attack'  (Read 2840 times)

Offline happyg

In an interview with Le Figaro newspaper - his first since the chemical weapons attack on rebel held suburbs of Damascus which killed more than 1,400 people - the Syrian president said it would have made no sense for him to order such an assault.

"Whoever makes accusations should provide proof," he said. "We have challenged the United States and France to provide the slightest proof. (Presidents Barack) Obama and (François) Hollande have been incapable of doing so, even to their own people."

The Syrian leader also issued a warning that France would become an “enemy of Syria” should it take part in military intervention. There would also be repercussions against “French interests” he said.

Mr Assad questioned the “logic” of claims that his forces carried out a chemical gas attack on the outskirts of Damascus on August 21 which the US said killed more than 1,400 people, including over 400 women and children.

“Supposing our army wishes to use weapons of mass destruction. Is it possible that it does so in a zone that it is in, and where soldiers are wounded by these arms that United Nations inspectors have noted in visits to hospitals were they were treated? Where is the logic?” he asked.

He said that the “powder keg” that is the Middle East would “explode” if Western forces struck Syria. “Nobody knows what will happen (after such strikes). Everyone will lose control of the situation when the powderkeg explodes. Chaos and extremism will spread. The risk of a regional war exists,” he warned.

While the French people were not his enemy, the French state would be if it decided to join in the expected US-led attack, he added. “There will be repercussions, negative, of course, on French interests."

The Syrian president's comments, part of a longer interview to be published later on Monday evening, were released by Le Figaro just minutes after French intelligence confirmed the Assad regime was behind a “massive and coordinated attack” on August 21.

The nine-page document - issued by external and military intelligence services and to be presented to lawmakers later on Monday - lays out five points that suggest Assad was behind the attacks. "This poses a major threat to national and global security," the source said.

The intelligence includes satellite imagery showing the attacks coming from government-controlled areas to the east and west of Damascus and targeting rebel-held zones. The source said Assad's forces had since bombed the areas to wipe out evidence.

"Unlike previous attacks that used small amounts of chemicals and were aimed at terrorising people, this attack was tactical and aimed at regaining territory," the source said.

The Syrian leader’s warnings came as Mr Hollande appears increasingly isolated on the international stage as the only Western leader not to put military action a parliamentary vote.

On Saturday, US president Barack Obama put off threatened missile airstrikes, saying he would seek approval from Congress first. The decision came just two days after David Cameron lost a vote in the House of Commons on the principle of taking action to punish Syria for alleged chemical weapons use.

Today the Prime Minister’s official spokesman said the British government has “absolutely no plans to go back to parliament” on the issue. Defence Secretary Phillip Hammond was slightly less categorical, saying: “Circumstances would have to change very significantly before parliament would want to look again at this issue.”

The French parliament is to hold a debate on Wednesday on taking action on Syria but Mr Hollande is under no constitutional obligation to hold a parliamentary vote – which is only required if a military operation lasts more than four months – and has shown no signs of bowing to increasing domestic pressure to do so.

The French president’s aides have made it plain, however, that France will not strike alone if not part of a “coalition”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/10281519/Bashar-al-Assad-interview-Show-me-the-proof-of-regime-chemical-attack.html

Offline evadR

Re: Bashar al-Assad interview: 'Show me the proof of regime chemical attack'
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 06:11:26 pm »
First things first...muslim terrorists killing muslim terrorists...where is the down side?

Second, we can pretty much assume that gas was used but by whom?
And who are we going to trust to tell us?.....Obama's goons??

Is there any doubt in anyone's minds that the "rebels" wouldn't gas their own people to obtain the desired result...which is what they got??

What's does the death of 1,400 or 14,000 people mean to these terrorists???

Maybe we should ask al qaeda since we know they're involved.  I'm pretty sure they know.

November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 06:32:05 pm »
First things first...muslim terrorists killing muslim terrorists people who's only crime is to live in Syria...where is the down side?

Don't know about you, but I find that unacceptable. To all my friends here - love to you all. Shipping out in the morning. MSF need drivers who also know how to triage and shoot. Back in 3 weeks or so.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 06:51:24 pm »
Don't know about you, but I find that unacceptable. To all my friends here - love to you all. Shipping out in the morning. MSF need drivers who also know how to triage and shoot. Back in 3 weeks or so.

EC....are you heading into this conflict?.....

God Speed
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 07:00:31 pm »
EC....are you heading into this conflict?.....

God Speed

Not to fight, my friend.

Not if it is not needed, at least. There are 7 million displaced and hurting, thanks to this civil war. They need medical treatment. They need food. I have worked with MSF (Doctors without Borders) before - it is time to do it again and my wife agreed to it. Can't just sit by and do nothing, right? I'll be going out with a surgical team tomorrow night, as driver and gopher and guard for three weeks. Got the confirmation through yesterday that my application was accepted. They like ex-forces for driving/porter positions.

Internet and cell coverage is a bit spotty where we are going - but I'll try stay in touch.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 07:15:49 pm »
You better stay in touch..we will all be worrying and thinking of you.... :0001:

Take care...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 08:27:21 pm »
I have worked with MSF (Doctors without Borders) before - it is time to do it again and my wife agreed to it. Can't just sit by and do nothing, right? I'll be going out with a surgical team tomorrow night, as driver and gopher and guard for three weeks. Got the confirmation through yesterday that my application was accepted.

A most splendid act, EC. I pray God keeps you safe.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 09:17:30 pm »
God Bless and safe goings to you.... We will be praying for you.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 09:29:41 pm »
Good luck with your endeavor. The world needs more people like you.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 09:36:42 pm »
A most splendid act, EC. I pray God keeps you safe.

Thank you - but the splendid ones are the Doctors and Nurses. Any idiot can drive.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 09:42:20 pm »
Yeah. maybe so, EC, Any idiot can drive, but your OUR idiot.

And despite what you say what you are doing is most admirable, just as what they are doing is. May God bless ALL of you and keep all of you safe.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 09:44:14 pm »
Catch you all on the flip side! I'll not log out - wife or daughters can relay messages as needed.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 09:58:37 pm »
EC:  May St Michael the Archangel defend you in battle.  I will say his prayer for you until you are safely back.  May God strengthen you and true your sights.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 11:43:21 pm »
No blood for Al Qaeda!
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 11:47:50 pm »
"EC.....call home!"         

as often as you can!    :patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline evadR

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 03:20:35 am »
No blood for Al Qaeda!

Figure - it's my blood.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 03:22:07 am »
"EC.....call home!"         

as often as you can!    :patriot:

I shall, old friend. Have set up a drop box with the missus - phones get a better signal out there. She'll pass stuff on.

Offline evadR

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 11:47:23 am »
EXCLUSIVE: Syrians In Ghouta Claim Saudi-Supplied Rebels Behind Chemical Attack
Rebels and local residents in Ghouta accuse Saudi Prince Bandar bin Sultan of providing chemical weapons to an al-Qaida linked rebel group.

http://www.mintpressnews.com/witnesses-of-gas-attack-say-saudis-supplied-rebels-with-chemical-weapons/168135/