Author Topic: Miley Cyrus Grabs Crotch Anew for Promotional Photos  (Read 6165 times)

Offline GourmetDan

Re: Miley Cyrus Grabs Crotch Anew for Promotional Photos
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 03:51:21 pm »
I cannot figure out why certain comedians start out kind of OK, then morph into these angry, fulminating caricatures of leftism.

This is not directed solely at you because statements like this constantly litter this board.

If you can't figure out why certain things keep happening that don't make sense, perhaps you need to expand your universe of potential causes?

What good does it do to reject 'a priori' that which you don't want to consider and then confess an inability to understand?

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 04:19:47 pm »
This is not directed solely at you because statements like this constantly litter this board.

If you can't figure out why certain things keep happening that don't make sense, perhaps you need to expand your universe of potential causes?

What good does it do to reject 'a priori' that which you don't want to consider and then confess an inability to understand?

If I may add a point for the bolded word. There is nothing wrong with an inability to understand. I can't understand what it is like to be blind, or to give birth, or to walk on a different planet, or to be attracted to someone of the same sex in a sexual way, or to get why people ride Harleys.
Never done any of them, except the Harley (Waste of time).

And inability to understand is not a problem. The inability to empathize is. I don't see much of that on these here boards. To take the OP for a moment - I bet a good 99% of people here wanted to either sit her down and give her a good talking to or to put her over their knee, but no one really blames a fairly limited talent girl for wanting to stay in the limelight. The anger is more for the ones who should have guided her and helped her.

2 cents left in the jar  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2013, 04:38:13 pm »
If I may add a point for the bolded word. There is nothing wrong with an inability to understand.

I didn't say there was.

You're focusing on a *single* *word* instead of the point of the post.

That doesn't add to the discussion, IMO.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2013, 05:02:42 pm »
Yes, that was my suspicion after reading your post.  I cannot figure out why certain comedians start out kind of OK, then morph into these angry, fulminating caricatures of leftism.  Roseanne Barr's former husband called her out for this on Twitter.  He asked her if she even remembered when she was a happy, stand-up comedian back in the early 80's.   :laugh:
Well, being married to Tom Arnold will do that to you. :laugh: But seriously... I think middle/old age and fatigue may be part of it, too. Take a look at David Letterman for another example.

Not to drift too far off topic, but you get to a point where you can only be funny for so long before it all gets stale. Jack Paar, who was probably one of the best observational comedians of all time, left television after eight years, knowing he couldn't sustain himself beyond that.Contrast that with Johnny Carson, who (like Letterman) stayed in the game for 30 years, perhaps a little too long. By the end, Arsenio Hall was beating him. Carson was simply out of tricks; he was nostalgia by that point. Now, that doesn't mean you can't have a career renaissance (Jay Leno is a perfect example) but you have to have a perfect convergence of outside factors for that to work.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2013, 05:07:15 pm »

Sorry about that Dan.  In the nearly 4 years I've littered "this board" before you arrived, not one owner or mod has admonished me for violating the Gourmet Dan standard.
In the future, I'll try to stick to name calling, vague conspiracy references, and cutting/pasting. 

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2013, 05:17:21 pm »
Sorry about that Dan.  In the nearly 4 years I've littered "this board" before you arrived, not one owner or mod has admonished me for violating the Gourmet Dan standard.
In the future, I'll try to stick to name calling, vague conspiracy references, and cutting/pasting. 

It's not a standard.  It was simply an attempt to get people to think differently than they have been because when there is too much confusion being professed, there is a reason for that.  I was simply trying to explain why the confusion is there.

I thought I made it clear that it wasn't directed at you but was a general statement about comments professing an inability to understand current events.  When that happens as often as I observe it, the reason that happens is because people aren't considering the appropriate sources.

If you thought I was telling you what to do, I apologize...

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2013, 05:33:45 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Lb3kFwJRQ

The crew of the starship Enterprise watches Miley Cyrus' performance.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org