Author Topic: Vietnam internet restrictions come into effect  (Read 939 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Vietnam internet restrictions come into effect
« on: September 01, 2013, 01:32:50 pm »
Via the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23920541

A controversial law banning Vietnamese online users from discussing current affairs has come into effect.

The decree, known as Decree 72, says blogs and social websites should not be used to share news articles, but only personal information.

The law also requires foreign internet companies to keep their local servers inside Vietnam.

It has been criticised by internet companies and human rights groups, as well as the US government.

Vietnam is a one-party communist state and the authorities maintain a tight grip on the media.

Dozens of activists, including bloggers, have been convicted for anti-state activity in the country this year.

The new law specifies that social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook should only be used "to provide and exchange personal information".

More at link.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

Re: Vietnam internet restrictions come into effect
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 08:40:32 pm »
Now is when services like the TOR network become invaluable.  Also, techniques of encryption such as steganography will become more and more necessary as a means of getting information in and out of Vietnam.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Vietnam internet restrictions come into effect
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 09:29:20 pm »
TOR and other similar services are becoming invaluable for communications for everyone - not just for the people in repressive regimes.

Had to look up steganography though! My lesson for the day - and it won't be the first time messages have been sent through seemingly innocuous pictures.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink