Author Topic: Viral Facebook Post: 'I Didn't Join The Navy To Fight For Al Qaeda In Syria!'  (Read 1193 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.ijreview.com/2013/08/76367-viral-facebook-post-didnt-join-navy-fight-al-qaeda-syria/

Viral Facebook Post: ‘I Didn’t Join The Navy To Fight For Al Qaeda In Syria!’

Soopermexican
    On August 31, 2013
    http://soopermexican.com

The Obama administration is advocating meekly for approval by Congress for a military strike on Syria. Between now and the vote for authorization, there are going to be a lot of voices for and against, but none would move our wills as much as those who will be asked to perform the strike, the U.S. Military.

That’s why this post, reportedly from a U.S. Naval Chief Petty Officer, on Facebook for a conservative talk show has more than 5,000 ‘shares’ even though it’s only been online for four hours.

If the Facebook embed doesn’t work for your browser, click here for a screenshot.

There is a controversy in the comments between those who think this kind of commentary is destructive to the military, and those who think he is justified, if not a hero, for doing so.

UPDATE:

Apparently another soldier sent a similar pic to the radio show host:

[Correction: an earlier version of this article incorrectly identified the soldier as a U.S. Navy Petty Officer instead of a U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer. We regret the error.]
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

I've seen a few of these on Facebook with what appears to be members of different branches of the armed forces. God bless 'em.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

I think the Navy Chief is an impostor.  He has gold chevrons which indicates good conduct by I don't see a good conduct ribbon.  Maybe the picture doesn't show it well and its there, but I don't see it. :shrug:

Offline Relic

My son-in-law is a career Army man. These posts really, really tick him off. It's a servicemember's job to do as their directed by the C-in-C. It's not elective, it's not subject to individual preference, it's what you sign up for. I was surprised by how angry he was, but it makes sense.

Also, making political statements in uniform is a violation of the UCMJ.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
My son-in-law is a career Army man. These posts really, really tick him off. It's a servicemember's job to do as their directed by the C-in-C. It's not elective, it's not subject to individual preference, it's what you sign up for. I was surprised by how angry he was, but it makes sense.

Also, making political statements in uniform is a violation of the UCMJ.
That would be the stance I learned regarding my uncle's 27 year US Army career service, too.

Most interweb posters just jump from fad, to fad however. So cheering for these guys is expected.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln